1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root How to Flash a Custom ROM! (AND ROOT!)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by droseum20, Aug 7, 2011.

1. droseum20

droseum20 Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    ‪Flash a Custom ROM - Motorola Droid‬‏ - YouTube

If you are watching this you most likely have root access on your Motorola Droid. If NOT rooted, please watch my tutorial here: ‪How to Root the Droid (2.2.2)‬‏ - YouTube
    ROM Download: daniel_rose_rom.zip (This ROM is not required for the process to work I'm sure many other ROM's will work as well this is just the one i am using in this video)
    ROM Manager: Find it on the Android Market
    STEPS:

1) Download any ROM off of the internet (Themed Bugless Beast download above). Install ROM Manager off of the Android Market.

2) Open ROM Manager and select Flash Clockworkmod Recovery. Confirm your phone then wait for it to ask you for root permissions then select allow. It will take just a few seconds.

3) Plug your phone into your computer using a USB. Turn on USB Storage on your phone. You should get a pop-up on your computer then select Open Folder to view Files.

4) Wait for Windows Explorer to open then drag the Custom ROM you are going to use into the Windows Explorer (Removable Disk). NOT IN ANY FOLDERS!

5) Disable USB Storage on your phone and wait for your SD Card to remount. Open back up ROM Manager and click Install ROM from SD Card. Find the ROM you are using (If you downloaded mine it will be called daniel_rose_rom.zip).

6) You will get a pop-up asking you if you want to "Backup Existing ROM" or "Wipe Data and Cache". Make sure wipe data and cache is selected and it is HIGHLY recommended that you Backup Existing ROM just in case if you want to go back to stock. Once they are checked hit OK.

7) Your phone will turn off then reboot into Clockworkmod Recovery. First it will Backup your current settings which may take 5-10 minutes then about a 2 minute ROM install and data and cache wipe. When it is complete you phone will reboot.

8) On the first boot using a new ROM you must be patient. It will take much longer than usual. You will notice the boot animation is changed a bit also.

9) When it fully boots you will have to sign into your Google Account and your phone will sync.

10) ENJOY!

Advertisement

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock