• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to flash a .ZIP???

Ok so ive had a lot of success flashing .TAR files through the Sprint update program but im stumped with .ZIP files. Is there a special way to load these?? I desperately need the .ZIP so i can finally tether Wireless!
.ZIP is a compressed file. There's a .tar inside so you need to extract it then flash the .tar.
Depending on the system you are using, if windows, you should have an app called winzip. It will decompress the file for you and give you access to the .tar. :)

Upvote 0
Ok so ive had a lot of success flashing .TAR files through the Sprint update program but im stumped with .ZIP files. Is there a special way to load these?? I desperately need the .ZIP so i can finally tether Wireless!

Step 1:

Download maxdamage's Recovery v2.0

Use the Sprint Update Utility to flash it into your phone. Don't worry, it flashes to a different partition on your Moment than the kernel so it won't mess up any kind of normal operation.

Step 2:

Get speedrabbit's 1.7 kernel w/ wifi tethering. Follow ALL instructions in the thread. You can apply the kernel update via the .tar file and flash using the sprint tool or you can download the .zip file and follow the instructions below.

Step 3:

Boot into Recovery (Hold Volume Down + Call End + Call through the load screen, make sure you're not connected to USB or charger), use the trackpad to go to "Apply from zip", choose the file you want, and you're set.

Reactions: KU_Android
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones