• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to Flash / Debrand your Desire

Bit of progress.

I have created a gold card but when I run RUU Bravo it fails to load bootloader and errors with a 171...saying its a USB connection error. Which is daft as i've already got the CID and the PC is clearly communicating with the phone.

One thing. When I get image sent to me it looks like a WinZip file but is actually a .img file. Other than run the program to download it to the sd card is there anything else I need to do to it ? The gold card program ssems to work ok and tells me I now have a GoldCard si I have assumed it worked.

But still that damn 171 error code

Upvote 0
I debranded my Orange Desire which is now running 1.21.405.2. When I check for updates I get the 'There are no updates available for your phone' message. I guess I'm stuck on 2.1 for a while, at least I've removed the Orange bits.

It seems like I'm not alone in this, has anyone done the updates successfully in the last couple of days ?
(replying to self just so people see how this thread is progressing)

My desire as able to update to 2.2 today. I've no idea why it didn't do this for the last two days but now it is upgrade.

Upvote 0
Ok - New handset arrived, debranded and now running Froyo - NO SIMLock probs - foolowed this post here: http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/140486-how-i-beat-network-sim-lock-my-phone-free.html

Mike

This worked for me! Thanks very much :D

Had to update to 1.15.405.4 from the ROM SJamG originally posted. Then I was able to update to 1.21, which locked the phone. Then took out the simcard and updated to 2.2 using WiFi. Reinserted my SIM and took out my goldcard - Now running Froyo on my unbranded HTC Desire.

Upvote 0
Well I followed all the instructions and think I've got a brick!!
The upgrade went fine, everything flashed ok. When it reboots, the screens blank. It plays a welcome tone, the keypad lights up for about 30 seconds, but still blank!
And I can't get it to be recognised by running adb devices...

Upvote 0
Phew. After a LOT of searching I followed the guide here and now have my HTC back.
Basically I've got a SLCD Desire, rather than the older AMOLED (it's a week old).
The firmwares in this guide are for the AMOLED, so when it flashed there was no proper video driver.

I ran the updated 1.21 firmware:

http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bra...1.00.32U_4.08.00.09_release_137222_signed.exe

and this got me back - I should be able to Gold Card it now and continue.

Upvote 0
Thanks SJamG and CamTarn for your valuable posts. I debranded my desire today and installed froyo yey! I had the difficulty of entering the boot loader because of a USB error 171. CamTarns post sorted that. I do however have one remaining problem. The time on the HTC clock widget is fine however the time in the taskbar (?) is an hour behind. I have tried adjusting this in settings but to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

After a bit of playing around I deleted the clock widget then it allowed me to change the time in the task bar lol. All sorted. Thanks all :)

Upvote 0
I seem to be a little confused, maybe you can clear this up for me...

People who update to 1.21 from 1.15 over OTA without unlocking the phone from orange have Wifi issues.

Soooo does this mean that if you flash from Orange ROM to stock 1.15 ROM, unlock the phone then upgrade to 1.21 over OTA it will work without wifi issues? I havnt seen a solid yes or no so would like to know the easiest path to having the stock ROM eventually on Froyo.

Cheers!!!

Upvote 0
I have a HTC desire with o2 branding. I have unlocked to use on vodafone. I make my goldcard no problems, ran 'RUU_Bravo_HTC_Europe_1.15.405.3_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_121865.exe'
but unfortunately got the following error:-
'cannot update your android phone please get the correct bootloader and try again'
Found this link, [ROM] Official HTC Desire RUU ROMS and OTA Update URLs - xda-developers great, but I dont know which one I should use? I dont want to guess because Im quite scared of bricking my phone. Could somebody please tell me which one to use?

thanks.
tim

Upvote 0
Hi all
complete noob when it comes to debranding and rooting. i debranded my desire today and got an OTA upgrade to version 2.2. however after the phone restarts after the installation and i enter my pin it doesn't connect to my network. i get a message
'Sorry!
Process system is not responding.'
it then will eventually restart the phone.
it doesn't recognise any sd cards i put into it either.
anyone know how to fix it or reset completely back to factory settings?

Upvote 0
Hi all
complete noob when it comes to debranding and rooting. i debranded my desire today and got an OTA upgrade to version 2.2. however after the phone restarts after the installation and i enter my pin it doesn't connect to my network. i get a message
'Sorry!
Process system is not responding.'
it then will eventually restart the phone.
it doesn't recognise any sd cards i put into it either.
anyone know how to fix it or reset completely back to factory settings?

Hi welcome to the forum
First thing is it a branded phone, & which one in that case
Try turning the phone off & removing the battery, then replace it & turn on the phone see if that works.
If all else has failed try the factory reset, settings/privacy/factory data reset

Upvote 0
Hi welcome to the forum
First thing is it a branded phone, & which one in that case
Try turning the phone off & removing the battery, then replace it & turn on the phone see if that works.
If all else has failed try the factory reset, settings/privacy/factory data reset
It's an O2 ireland phone. Since my last post i have reflashed it with the generic htc ROM. however it is now back at version 2.1. i dare not try to upgrade again incase it doesn't work again
I have also noticed that items won't download from the market

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

Can you elaborate on what you are doing, otherwise its a bit like a shot in the dark.

Hi and thanks :)

Well I've followed all the instructions on the first page, but when I run the RUU it gets past the "waiting for bootloader" part and goes to sending... after which an error comes up stating 140 unable to update due to being the wrong utility.

I have since learnt I have bootloader 0.83 but I'm still none the wiser.

Upvote 0
Not to worry - managed to sort it now, unbranded and 2.2 :D

Hey how did you sort it?

Im having the same problem, done everything else right just getting error 140:BOOTLOADER VERSION ERROR

5c0ehs.jpg

Above is the error and below that is how far the installation got before the error.

Help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Upvote 0
After reading this I think that all of you should take a look here http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/148932-froyo-ruu-update-available.html

I used this thread to update my Desire and had no problems, also the unlockr gold card setup is not the best one to use, with the gold card creator found in the thread above you do not need to use the command prompt at all. Also you do not need to stick to the 2Gb card that the unlockr tells you to , I have made Gold cards on a 16GB, a 8GB and a 2Gb sandisk cards. Plus you can format them on your computer and not the phone only.

This is just a suggestion to all that are having trouble and to the person asking about the Telus phone, if you use the above thread yes you can do it, my phone is a unlocked, and now unbranded telus phone that I purchased from a company in Canada and now use on AT&T in the US.

Just thought I could help all that are having trouble!!

Post #8 has the link to the Gold card maker, Also do a full format of the card on your computer before you make it a gold card, quick format is not good enough.

Upvote 0
Hey, what I would like to know before debranding my Orange Desire is, if I debrand and remove the goldcard, will I then be able to update the phone as normal, ie OTA without the goldcard in the phone? Or does it still require a goldcard and possibly reflashing an updated rom?

Also how likely is it to brick the phone? I can't really afford to buy a new one if it screws up.

I have Hboot 0.83 and software number 1.22.61.1. Don't know if these are important?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones