• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HOW TO: Flawlessly sync your music to your Android with Winamp! (56k warning!)

IOWA

Mr. Logic Pants
Dec 2, 2009
Chicago
Ok guys, this is for windows users only I think... sorry mac users..

You can also sync your iPod or PMP of choice as well, anything that has mass storage mode.

So, after reading countless "how do i sync my music"

and "it's too hard" threads/posts, I decided to make this guide to simplify the process.

1.) Download and Install the latest version of WinAmp, from here:

Winamp Media Player - MP3, Video, and Music Player - Winamp

(Free version works just fine! It's what I'm using here.)

2.) Add your local media library folder to winamp.

There are a few ways to do this, but the way I'm showing you will keep your library up-to-date automatically.

Step1.jpg

Step2.jpg

Make sure you add all your folders... (Music library folder, Limewire etc.)

*I also select "Rescan at startup"* <-- This will keep your library updated everytime you load up Winamp! There is also a manual scan method as well.

Ok now that your library is loaded up, you need to connect your Android/PMP in mass storage mode.

Make sure USB debugging is not on, unless you have the proper drivers installed. Also, remember which way you set this up, as going back and forth may mess things up. So if you sync without USB debugging on, make sure you do it that way every time!

Onward!

So, Like I had mentioned before, connect your Android/PMP to your computer with the sync cable, enable mass storage through the pull down menu.

After your computer recognizes the drive, WinAmp should pick it up and ask if this is a portable device. If it doesn't pick it up right away, just close WinAmp, and restart it. It will pick it up then.

When it asks you if you want to manage this as a portable, select yes!

It will then show up in the portables section as a usb mass storage device.

Step3.jpg

Ok great, now we have your library in, and your device plugged in.

Now delete all the music on your device.

Now by default, it will dump all of your music on to the root of your SD card, I find this annoying, so we are going to change this!

Head back into preferences.

Step4.jpg

In the advanced tab, first we are going to edit the File name format box. It has the blue dot next to it in the above picture.

By default, it has this value:

(Keep in mind the drive letter may be different, depending on your pc. Make sure you just keep the drive letter that's already there. )

G:\<Artist>\<Album>\## - <Title>

Now, this is How I have mine set up. It will sync to

sdcard/music/artist/album/filename.mp3

Enter the following in the box to sync it like mine, so it does not sync your media to the root of the sdcard:

G:\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\<filename> <---Copy that exactly into the file format name box.

Notice, all I did was specify what folder it will sync to. You can change it around however you like. If you copy and paste the above, it will sync like mine, which once again is:

sdcard/music/artist/album/filename.mp3

Ok now in the box below it, I just put it like this

G:\Music\Playlists

For supported formats box, just put any formats you use in that box.

I use this configuration:

mp3;wav;wma;m4a;aac

Ok now the hard part is done.

Simply select your device in the portables in the left column:

Step5.jpg

Then click Sync. This will sync your media library with your Android/PMP.

All Done!

FAQ: But my media library is too big! How do I sync certain files?

Well this a little more complicated. Your going to have to use playlists to sync.

You simply make playlists of the music you want, and while your Android/PMP is connected, instead of hitting sync or autofill, you find the playlist you want sync'd to your device, and right click and select Send to: (your device here)

It will then transfer the music to your Android/PMP.

When you do it this way, it will give you the option to remove anysongs you don't have on the playlists your syncing.

-OR- You could do what I do, and only load into the library what you plan on syncing =P

EDIT: Just noticed a small quirk, which is being worked on with the next release of Winamp. For some reason it doesn't automatically update what's synced into your phone, and it wants to make duplicate files. Well here's the workaround until they fix this.

On portables > advanced tab, remember those two buttons named "Save and Rescan" and "Refresh Cache" ? (second picture from the bottom^^)

Well after each sync, head into Preferences > Media Library > Portables > (Your Device Here)

Then on that very same advanced tab, press the "refresh cache" and "save and rescan" buttons.

Keep in mind, when you connect your phone to winamp, you have to let winamp refresh the cache before syncing, just a little quirk I found. Other wise it likes to double your mp3.. so if you let it sit for a few min, then sync you'll be fine. The bigger your music your loading, the longer you'll have to wait.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Upvote 0
Anyone figured out how to get winamp to transcode to aac+ while syncing? The option is there, must be a bug because it goes through the transcode process and still comes out as a mp3. Huge space saver if I can take 320 mp3s and knock them down to 64k aac+...

It's possible to transcode to a file on your pc, just not through sync.

Upvote 0
Great post, didn't think to use Winamp, I've just been dragging and dropping folders onto my sdcard. Then I found doubleTwist, which works ok, but I have some problems.

Since I also have a last.fm account (DrkNvmbr81 if anyone else uses last.fm), I like it to scrobble what I'm playing while I'm listening to music off of my Hero. My problem is, sometimes the properties do not come through with the tracks when I sync using doubleTwist, or even when I drag and drop. It's hit or miss usually, it's not always the same albums when I redo it. For example, if I view artists>unknown artists, it shows the album name, so when you select the album all the tracks are there, but labeled as "01 the sundering" unknown artist. Does Winamp have any problems with transferring file properties?

I know this probably isn't a big deal to some people, but I like organization and having everything there. It really bugs me that the album artwork doesn't come through and show up, but I'll figure that out.

Upvote 0
Great post, didn't think to use Winamp, I've just been dragging and dropping folders onto my sdcard. Then I found doubleTwist, which works ok, but I have some problems.

Since I also have a last.fm account (DrkNvmbr81 if anyone else uses last.fm), I like it to scrobble what I'm playing while I'm listening to music off of my Hero. My problem is, sometimes the properties do not come through with the tracks when I sync using doubleTwist, or even when I drag and drop. It's hit or miss usually, it's not always the same albums when I redo it. For example, if I view artists>unknown artists, it shows the album name, so when you select the album all the tracks are there, but labeled as "01 the sundering" unknown artist. Does Winamp have any problems with transferring file properties?

I know this probably isn't a big deal to some people, but I like organization and having everything there. It really bugs me that the album artwork doesn't come through and show up, but I'll figure that out.

I figured out the id3 tagging is a an altogether different issue. A simple fix is to download something call "mp3 tag" from download.com.

Using mp3 tag, navigate to your library from within the program. Well this is going to require another tutorial for most users.... but basically you need to retag all the songs, which is easy with ctrl+a. Somewhere in settings you need to enable all the ID versions. Ill write up a more in-depth tutorial and post it in another thread soon.

Upvote 0
I figured out the id3 tagging is a an altogether different issue. A simple fix is to download something call "mp3 tag" from download.com.

Using mp3 tag, navigate to your library from within the program. Well this is going to require another tutorial for most users.... but basically you need to retag all the songs, which is easy with ctrl+a. Somewhere in settings you need to enable all the ID versions. Ill write up a more in-depth tutorial and post it in another thread soon.

Hey thanks for the tip.

I find it irritating that I can look at the properties of the file on my comp, see it's there, but it doesn't want to go through to the phone. Also, when it's on the phone, why can't I edit properties??? Right now, I'm just ranting, sorry.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for posting this...

For some reason WinAmp won't recognize my device. I checked and checked and it is recognized as a USB storage... I've plugged it in while winamp was open, closed, and restarted while it was plugged in. Nothing.

Under portables, the only plugin I have is for iPod, could that be the problem? Anyone have any ideas?

I'm trying uninstalling winamp completely and reinstalling it.

Ok, on edit... completely reinstalling winamp worked. I must have not installed some piece when I did the initial install. Sorry for all the trouble. LOL.

Upvote 0
hey !
I found your post while looking for a solution to my problem. I'm using your method to sync with phone but the problem is that from a connection to another, winamp looses the setting as of where to put the files in the sd card.
When I disconnect my phone and plug it back, I have to manually input the path (G:\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\<filename>) all over again.
Am I the only one with this problem ?
FYI I'm using windows 7 and maybe it's because of the application rights (however winamp launches itself with administrator's rights...)
I hope I made myself understandable, sorry but english isn't my first language ^^

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones