• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to force Apps to SD card on Android & using a Macbook

hippiechic

Lurker
Aug 31, 2012
Hello, Newbie here.
I've been searching posts on how to force apps to SD card on my android phone, but all the instructions are connecting it to a PC and then installing some SDK program. That's all fine and well, but I need to do it on a Macbook. Any suggestions? Obviously I'm not super tech savy, but I'd appreciate a little jargon-free directions.

Thanks!!!

Hello, Newbie here.
I've been searching posts on how to force apps to SD card on my android phone, but all the instructions are connecting it to a PC and then installing some SDK program. That's all fine and well, but I need to do it on a Macbook. Any suggestions? Obviously I'm not super tech savy, but I'd appreciate a little jargon-free directions.

Thanks!!!

Get the free app "App 2 SD"... :D

Although, be aware that quite a few apps cannot be moved to the SDcard or they wouldn't work. E.g. Chrome, G+, GMaps, Flash player, Youtube, email apps, DropBox, etc. etc.

Upvote 0
This thread includes instructions for setting up adb (android debug bridge) on a mac as well as pc: http://androidforums.com/faqs/443072-adb-guide-updated-12-05-2011-a.html. It's slightly simpler on a mac as you don't have to find drivers.

Once you have that set up it's the same as on a PC.

Personally I put a copy of adb-mac in one of my app directories, renamed to adb, so I can just use the command "adb" from a terminal without having to cd to a specific directory first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones