1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

[How-To] Force Motorola Droid 2.1 OTA Update (ESE81)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Fabolous, Mar 31, 2010.

1. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Android Expert

Mar 31, 2010
    Cleveland, Ohio
    BTW you don't need a USB cable. I did all this without it. Just go to this site and download it to the sdcard and then move it.

Advertisement

2. LeoG61

LeoG61 Newbie

Mar 31, 2010
    I did the update via SD card earlier this morning and now I have the sync icon staying in the status bar at the top constantly...any fixes for that or is that normal for 2.1?

3. baffula

baffula Lurker

Mar 31, 2010
    Thanks for posting the update!

Any idea on how to enable the new app drawer?

4. trinied

trinied Lurker

Mar 31, 2010
    I have been working on this all day, I just bought the phone yesterday, I go through all the processes and when I do the x power button thing and then apply sdcard:update.zip
    this is what happens....

--Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    Installing update...
    assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.0.1/ESD56/20996:user/release-keys"|| file_getprop ("/system/build.prop", ro.bes: 2.1-update1/ESE81/29593: user/release_keys" (status 7)
    Installation aborted

someone please help.....

5. nathan312

nathan312 Android Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2010
    Student
    Georgia
    Thanks for this! Couldn't wait for the OTA any longer!! Force updated about 2 hours ago, NO problems so far! thanks guys!

6. Krlos

Krlos Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Lakeland,Florida
    the same happen to me but when i restarted everything was fine show the 2.1 update-1 on firmware version and everything run good so far.....

7. glendees

glendees Lurker

Mar 26, 2010
    I was anxious to check out the new Gallery and was disappointed when pressing the icon. My Droid responded with: "Application is not installed on your phone".

The reason for this message is that the icon I was pressing was a "shortcut" (for lack of a better word). It was an icon on my left home screen.

Look in the large group of icons from the pull-up drawer at the bottom. Scroll down to the 'G' section and click on the Gallery icon there.

Ahhhhh, new-Gallery Goodness.

8. aarong0921

aarong0921 Lurker

Mar 31, 2010
    Ok, I really want the update, but I have no way of connecting my droid to my computer (the person I bought it from didn't have the data cable). How can I get the update to my phone without connecting it??? I already tried opening it through Gmail, but it says it is not supported.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9. Droid_Ninja

Droid_Ninja Member

Feb 19, 2010
    WOO HOO!!!! Thanks for who ever made this possible! I was so mad when my Twin got the Update before me and he is in VA. But now this came out, I aint gotta wait for the OTA now! THANK YOU SO MUCH! WORKED LIKE A CHARM!

10. KzN

KzN Newbie

Jan 8, 2010
    Student!
    Glen Allen, VA (10 mins Richmond)
    Is there any reason why I should wait for the OTA to come? Are there any disadvantages or problems that arise when updating manually?

11. guitarplayin

guitarplayin Lurker

Mar 31, 2010
    Rad Engineer and Computer Consultant
    North Carolina
    Just tried it. Your directions were perfect. NO PROBLEMS. Unit rebooted and is running great. Thanks for your efforts.

12. Source

Source Newbie

Feb 18, 2010
    college :(
    awesome. did this, this morning. worked like a charm.

13. Uranus633

Uranus633 Lurker

Nov 8, 2009
    Burbank
    Worked, very easy to do.

14. aarong0921

aarong0921 Lurker

Mar 31, 2010
    Anyone know how to get the update on a phone using page plus instead of verizon??? I followed both links, and it says "not supported on this phone".

15. djmeslie

djmeslie Newbie

Nov 7, 2009
    Thx for the update!! Works great! Incase anyone has problems w/ the update just dont unzip the folder at all, and if it doesn't work w/ update.zip then just name it update! Thanks again!

16. littledroid

littledroid Newbie

Nov 10, 2009
    If I force update using the instructions here, what will happen when OTA comes? Do I just ignore it or will it be smart enough to know I'm already at 2.1 and not notify me?

17. Trident

Trident Android Expert

Jan 20, 2010
    I wear many hats
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yes, it will already know and you will not be notified.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

18. littledroid

littledroid Newbie

Nov 10, 2009
    Trident, thanks for the clarification.

19. uncle_Felty

uncle_Felty Newbie

Nov 6, 2009
    Worked like a charm! I got fed up after all the people I recomended the phone to got the update and I was still waiting! Go figure I got the phone on day 1!!!

20. kn0t

kn0t Member

Feb 27, 2010
    check encoder at a bank
    Pittsburgh, P.A.
    So this isn't the "official" tmobile update. It's a rom that someone made?

21. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!!
    VIP Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Worldwide Logistics by day,Website design by night
    Olympus, Back on the throne!!!
    Not sure if you posted in the wrong forum or what, but this is for the 2.1 update for the Motorola Droid on Verizon. The update is the official update that someone was able to copy off their SD card before letting their phone perform the update.

Kratos

22. Phishbowl

Phishbowl Lurker

Apr 4, 2010
    So, I just updated my droid but my menu short cut tab at the bottom did not change to the dots. I still have that grey tab. Just wondering if you have to change any settings or should it have switched automatically. Thanks!!

23. DDroid23

DDroid23 Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Medical Field
    Mesa,Az
    Yea when I got the update and still saw the grey tab and not the dots. I got helix app and its great but wat I wanna know is wat happen to the 3d backround when scrolling up and down apps?