• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[How-To] Force the Official Android 2.1 Update for the Motrola Droid (ESE81)

Ok... trying to do it straight off my phone. Using either the direct links to download, as well as emailing it to myself. When I go to download update.zip, it tells me "Cannot download. The content is not supported on this phone." What haven't I done to allow me to download a zip file?

Nevermind me... I must've uninstalled Astro File Manager instead of Astro.. (the sky map)

Upvote 0
1. why is no one mentioning that, just as simple precaution, they backup all their data? That seems shocking it is not a step listed to backup your data before doing this just to be safe??? It should be step #1. Is it worth the loss IF something happens in the update to loose any data: apps, sms, data, etc? a simple step to backup first seems logical.

2. anyone loose data of any kind? it seems some say no and some mention lost or not reloaded apps? IF you lost any data, please advise.

Upvote 0
To go to recovery mode, i hold the "camera" button and power.

When i apply the update, i have this error message :
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed

Same thing I am getting. Seems nobody has any info. Do you have the ESE53 build on your at the moment? I'm thinking that my recovery menu is corrupt or something. When I get off work, I'm going to try and flash back to 2.0.1.

Upvote 0
so i know this is probably answered somewhere, i've searched and can't find it, but i'm having issues when installing this from my rooted droid running bugless beast. i try to do the "install /sdcard/update.zip" option cause the "allow update.zip installation" does nothing/shows nothing and when i do this it fails the patch check. how do i get this sucker to update to 2.1?

i know that im rooted now and i know the benefits/cons of switching and i still want to update to 2.1. thanks for the help and thanks to everyone for getting this out :)

Upvote 0
This worked wonderfully. Thanks for making the update.zip available and posting very-clear instructions.

Live wallpaper is working like a charm. I jumped in the market place and was able to grab Google Earth, which we haven't had access to before.(assuming you hadn't root prior to today)

Anyone know of a list of Android-2.1-only Apps ? I just did a search on 'Google Inc.' in the market place to see what Google had to offer, but wasn't sure if there were others.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones