• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[How-To] Force the Official Android 2.2 Froyo Update for the Motrola Droid (FRG01B | Update 1 of 2)

I replied in the main topic, but I installed this everything was running fine but I decided I wanted to clear everything off and start fresh. So I did a factory restore, but the activation process just won't go. Verizon lady on the phone's automated line says the programming was successful, but it keeps prompting me to activate. Is this just Verizon being crappy? I've heard a lot of problems with their activation service.

or it may simply be taking a longer time now that more people ahve access to the update....

try waiting for like 30 minutes, then call VZW back....

Upvote 0
I replied in the main topic, but I installed this everything was running fine but I decided I wanted to clear everything off and start fresh. So I did a factory restore, but the activation process just won't go. Verizon lady on the phone's automated line says the programming was successful, but it keeps prompting me to activate. Is this just Verizon being crappy? I've heard a lot of problems with their activation service.

Try this.. Peter Alfonso: How To: Manually Activate A Verizon Wireless Android Phone

Upvote 0
You say flash 10.1 isnt in market but can you download it from net and it work that way?

Yes. See this thread: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/106331-so-where-can-i-get-official-flash-player.html

Had to download the zip file 5 times before I got a clean zip file to use.
Did seem a little slow on start up, but it did need to initialize a lot of stuff on the first start up. I'll play with it some more and see how it runs.

Thanks for the instructions Trident

I quoted you so others will see that even if the file looks good, it may not be....

Upvote 0
yummy... froyo tastes pretty sweet! Thanks to all who made this possible!!

Had a problem with swype - uninstalled it and re-installed it = works perfectly now!
Downloaded/installed the flash 10.1 beta = works great!
Currently moving selected apps to the sd card = cool!

Nice! Glad to hear you're lovin Froyo... enjoy! :)

Reactions: silverspot
Upvote 0
Just got done install, great instructions made install a breeze! Thanks! just an FYI for some new installations, after inital start up after installing update.zip i had to do a pull to have my full menu back. My only concern thus far is that i went to the adobe site on the droid to do a test on the functionality on the update. The thing is, no flash player loaded and it showed the cube just as 2.1 did. any insight?............. answered my own question by reading previos posts! read read read! lol

Upvote 0
Thanks for the files and the info!

Everything's running great for me. I downloaded the flash beta and it is screaming.

I do notice however that many apps are not showing up in the market. Skype, Testtube and flash. That leads me to believe there are more missing as well.

If this is the official OTA, then are apps missing for those who get it from VZ? Seems kind of strange that this many apps would be missing as VZ is rolling out system wide.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Everything's running great for me. I downloaded the flash beta and it is screaming.

I do notice however that many apps are not showing up in the market. Skype, Testtube and flash. That leads me to believe there are more missing as well.

If this is the official OTA, then are apps missing for those who get it from VZ? Seems kind of strange that this many apps would be missing as VZ is rolling out system wide.

Thoughts?

Try rebooting again, and then see if they show up. They should, b/c they are shwoing in my BB 0.4 build....

Upvote 0
"This thread explains how to force the official Android 2.2 Froyo update to your Motorola Droid."
Trident,

Can't thank you enough for this thread and the info you posted. Just did this on my Droid and it works like a champ! I'm up and running 2.2 after about 20 minutes, without a hitch.

Thanks so much for going to the trouble to make it so easy for those of us less technically savvy!

Upvote 0
"This thread explains how to force the official Android 2.2 Froyo update to your Motorola Droid."
Trident,

Can't thank you enough for this thread and the info you posted. Just did this on my Droid and it works like a champ! I'm up and running 2.2 after about 20 minutes, without a hitch.

Thanks so much for going to the trouble to make it so easy for those of us less technically savvy!

No problem! Glad I could help! :)

Enjoy Froyo!!!

Upvote 0
OK, this was a complete pain but I finally got it working. I was running the leaked 2.2 from a few months ago rooted. I use Linux, specifically Fedora 13, but the following should work on any Linux box (within reason):

1. Download sbf_flash:
OPTICALDELUSION: sbf_flash

2. Download stock 2.1u1 sbf. File name is VZW_A855_ESE81_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.03P_SW_UPDATE_02.sbf
md5 sum is 06e79f8d0810be281e8afbbd9be7442c
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

3. Boot your Droid into bootloader mode:
3-A : shut down
3-B: hold down d-pad up and Power until old school white text appears
3-C: Plug your phone in to the computer

4. Make sbf_flash executable and run it:
$ chmod a+x sbf_flash
$ sudo ./sbf_flash VZW_A855_ESE81_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.03P_SW_UPDATE_02.sbf

That should run, take a while, and reboot. Don't unplug or lose power. If something goes wrong google it, pray, whatever.

When the phone boots back up you'll be stock no-BS 2.1u1. Then download update.zip, reboot into recovery mode, apply the update, and your good.

Reactions: cbosch12
Upvote 0
photo.php
Here is the error it keeps giving me

photo.php

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by ian.alex

Thoughts?
>>>>

Try rebooting again, and then see if they show up. They should, b/c they are shwoing in my BB 0.4 build....

Good idea, but no luck. Is everyone else seeing Skype in their market place after applying the update? I even had skype text me the link to download from their site and it said it's not in the market.

I checked my wife's Droid Incredible with 2.1 and it's there. Not so for me.

Please post if anyone else can either find skype in the market, or is having market issues other than flash.

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by ian.alex

Thoughts?
>>>>

Good idea, but no luck. Is everyone else seeing Skype in their market place after applying the update? I even had skype text me the link to download from their site and it said it's not in the market.

I checked my wife's Droid Incredible with 2.1 and it's there. Not so for me.

Please post if anyone else can either find skype in the market, or is having market issues other than flash.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones