1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[How-To] Force the Official Android 2.2 Froyo Update for the Motrola Droid (FRG01B | Update 1 of 2)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Trident, Aug 3, 2010.

1. BerpaOrcha

BerpaOrcha Lurker

This is from Trident's first page instructions. Hope this helps you out.

Important: If you are a Mac user using the Safari browser, you

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bdal1

bdal1 Well-Known Member

Ive been running the frg01b leak from pete. (the clean virgin. untouched)
    Apparently this build is the same thing (or very close to the same thing).
    Ive been reporting amazing (almost twice as long) battery life after i recharge the battery (on the phone) with this build running. Can anyone else here confirm better battery life?

3. x026092

x026092 Android Enthusiast

Worked like a charm... you're the best.. Thanks.

4. saitek32

saitek32 Lurker

Anyone having issues with programs running themselves after updating? Ive ATK'd email and twidryd yet I keep getting push notifications from each whenever I have a new email or tweet.

Also, touch screen calibration issues with the docking station? My screen is not reading movement correctly, placing touches about a half screen off.

Just wondering if anyone else is having issues.

5. Cougz09

Cougz09 Lurker

would manually updating to 2.2 void the warranty????

6. Poloki

Poloki Well-Known Member

Manually updated mine last night OTA. Smooth sailing! Thanks Trident and everyone else for making this happen!

7. jl3297

jl3297 Lurker

Manually updated and running smoothly! Thanks!

2.2 gmail, chat, messaging, facebook are great! Also I love the "update all" feature in the market. The power control widget now toggles auto brightness in addition to low and full brightness! Sweet! Still using Launcher Pro however... I can't get enough of the new LP wigdets!

8. KidASH

KidASH Lurker

Same here! I just bought an extra battery and stand alone charger and now it appears I will rarely need it. Although, correct me if I'm wrong, but using Flashplayer will probably soak up some juice.

I was EXTREMELY pleased! After 6hrs yesterday I was still at 90% with light use....mostly just playing around texting with Swype. It's addicting as Hell!!

9. KidASH

KidASH Lurker

No...same as waiting for the OTA. Exactly the same piece of software...no worries!

10. dascreed

dascreed Lurker

I have a question i upgrded to 2.2 yesterday. AND IT IS AWESOME. THANK YOU!!!. But now the audio on pandora and all other streaming is horrendous. I found a fix at xda but it requires root access. If I downgrade my phone root it and re-upgrade will I keep root permissions ?

11. xmguy

xmguy Newbie

I have a ROOTED but STOCK 2.1 Droid. Can I still download the update to 2.2? Will I still be rooted and can I root again if needed? (without a custom rom). Will the update require a reformatting of the flash?

12. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Android Enthusiast

I know there have been some skeptics as to whether or not this is official. I got the file from the Google link, the phone had all of the keys it needed to think this was 100% OK. Those two things make me pretty comfortable but the real kicker will be when my fianc

13. devildog999

devildog999 Lurker

Did the update and installed the flash. So cool being able to watch vids now.

14. xmguy

xmguy Newbie

I can't even download. I get this error in the download window on my phone.

"Cannot download. The content is not supported on this phone"

Rooted Droid. Using QR code and on Wi-Fi.

15. StrifeJester

Usually content not supported means you need to use something like Astro File Manager to allow the browser to download all file types.

16. xmguy

xmguy Newbie

I already had an app called "File Manager". I downloaded Astro anyway though. Thanks. Will this remove my root status and will it reformat my phone to factory?

17. StrifeJester

Also one in Astro you have to go into the settings and tell it to allow the browser to download any file type. It should pop up a warning about it mucking with gmail.

1.Open Astro
    2.Tap Menu
    3.Tap More
    4.Tap Preferences
    5.Enable Browser Downloads

18. SilentJ20

SilentJ20 Newbie

Oy, things looked good, but then...

I followed the update procedure, everything went fine, it installed everything and asked to be rebooted. This first reboot never made it past the white M screen. Did a battery pull, waited a while, turn back on, stuck on the white M screen.

I was from a stock 2.1 install, no root or anything.

The phone will not let me install the update again, I get this error:

Verifying current system...
    assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/framework/core.odex", "269f5479367e1fc0d863e24f4d0bdf6858f1b168", "217d9d44db9c42507884f2c9a77ed8c5e624f0c3)
    E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.

What can I do?? Do I need to wait more than 15 mins at the M screen? Thanks.

Brian

19. jcernik

jcernik Newbie

Applied the 2.2 update. In the text messaging threads is there a way to have a picture for urself? Instead of it just showing the droid icon?

20. StrifeJester

Yeah I wish it would put the picture back in messages I am hoping its something that will resync with google.

21. Kenwa

Kenwa Lurker

Can someone link me to 2.1 update.zip?

I am on version 2.01 stock. I would like to go to 2.1 stock then 2.2 but I can't find the upgrade for 2.1.

Please?

Thanks

22. molnard

molnard Lurker

After trying to update my phone I get the following on my screen..Can someone help me?

E: Can't open / cache /recovery/command

Install from sdcard
    Finding update package
    Opening update package
    Verifying update package
    E: signature verification failed
    Installation aborted..

How do I fix this?

23. whammy3

whammy3 Lurker

So in a few days when Verizon releases Froyo will I not be able to update since I used this update?

24. Trident

Trident Android Expert

http://mydroiddoes.info/eclair/update.zip :)
    This is the version of Froyo that Verizon will be releasing. This is just a way to get it early.

Kenwa likes this.
  25. tyneusch

tyneusch Well-Known Member

So does anyone know why Astro wont let me move the update.zip file from my SD card to my root file? I have tried copy/paste doesnt let me paste in root. I have also tried Move/Paste and still nothing. It's as if I don't have access to my own root file. I can look in it and there is nothing in the file. Please help!

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews