1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[How-To] Force the Official Android 2.2 Froyo Update for the Motrola Droid (FRG01B | Update 1 of 2)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Trident, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Android Sheep

Android Sheep Lurker

This morning, I updated to 2.2. I use Touchdown to receive Exchange email. Our firm voicemail system sends us voicemail as .wav attachments to email. Everything worked fine yesterday, but now I get an error message when I try to play the wav file.

The default media player says it cannot play the file. I then downloaded MixZing and it also gives me an error and can't play the file. Other types of email attachments (e.g., word files) still seem to work fine.

Any ideas?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Josefius

Josefius Newbie

Our lab's phone system does that with me as well, I have not ever been able to play the .wav files that our phone system sends to me. In 2.1 it would give me the option to play it with an app I had that made ringtones or the player. It just simply fails to play with a "cannot play" or something and only selects the stock player.

3. derekpop

derekpop Lurker

Thank you sir, it worked.

4. bluboy

bluboy Newbie

I just downloaded EStrongs File Explorer. Could you go through the steps you used to down load the file?

5. raid1907

raid1907 Lurker

I did everything like ya said and it says E:Error in sdcard/update.zip (status 7) what should I do

6. tbrown123

tbrown123 Lurker

I know you've all heard it a thousand times but Im new to this stuff so this may sound like a dumb question. I did the manual update and it worked fine and I thank you for it :) but when the OTA comes out for me will I still have the choice to do it that way even though I already did this? Like will it show up for me even though I already have 2.2?

7. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!!
    VIP Member

There should be another update to correct the issues that are present with this update. From what has been said (you can see Trident's alert about this in the very first post in this thread), Verizon pulled this update.

Kratos

8. nodoubt

nodoubt Newbie

has like 7 diff items....
    do i install all of them ??
    just highlight all of them and drag em into the droid folder ??

9. bigbee

bigbee Member

Do not open the zip file or extract any files. Keep the name "update.zip" and transfer it to the highest level folder on the SD card.

10. nodoubt

nodoubt Newbie

mine is in jzip and i cannot drag it from the unzipped file to the droid folder??
    whats showing in my droid folder now is lost dir ??

11. droid_noob

droid_noob Lurker

is there any way for me to root my droid now that i manually installed 2.2 on it? thanks

12. nodoubt

nodoubt Newbie

still saying aborted....i do unplug usb cable after loading droid folder??
    before reboot??

13. nodoubt

nodoubt Newbie

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. cottonfarmer

cottonfarmer Lurker

Wow thanks 2.2 and Flash this is great.........

15. RgnKjnVA

RgnKjnVA Newbie

Honestly, at this point, you might as well wait for the official OTA. It's gonna roll out very soon and ironically all of us who installed early will be getting that build too so this effort equates to a geeky sneak preview. LOL

However, if you're feeling adventurous just follow the excellent instructions on the first page of this thread. Screen shots even! Where it says 'Astro' use Estrongs instead. Enjoy 2.2. It's a definite improvement.

16. JP13CURSE

JP13CURSE Lurker

Install of froyo went fine, however apps seem to want to open themselves randomly even after they have already been killed using advanced task killer (for ex, twidroyd keeps re-opening itself.) is there any known fix for this or will FRG22 be addressing issues such as this one?

17. bigguy14433

bigguy14433 Lurker

Just manually updated and love it! The internet is super fast and i'm surprised that no one mentioned the new layout to Facebook and MMS ( i haven't gotten too far into it yet).

Anyway, i had installed a keyboard from droid-life.net (the droid x's multi touch one) and that forced closed literally every second until i could disable it (not using it isn't that big of a deal) but the Email (not the Gmail one) will stop unexpectedly as soon as i open it. Any help???

18. Friar

Friar Lurker

I did the update and it went well even with the known E:Error. Maybe it is just me or my phone but it seems like everything has slowed way down. This seems odd since Froyo was supposed to make the phone faster... Am I the only one seeing this? I do use Launcher Pro and am wondering if that is what is causing the problem. I'll be trying using the stock home page some and see if it improves but as it is I wish I hadn't made the switch. Fortunantly I just got the phone (I'm a recent winmo convert) and am within my 30 days and may trade it for an X if the new update doesn't fix this.

19. Hi! Just registered, I updated and everything went well. the locked screen doesn't look different (I don't know if it is supposed to.) Also, I can't download anything from the market. Not over 3G or WiFi. It just says infinite Starting Download...

I don't know what to do. If anyone could help out that would be great. :)

20. DarrylFC

DarrylFC Newbie

Hey everyone, I could use a little help. I was able to manual update my Droid to 2.1.update1 some time ago, but I cannot do it now. I simply can't get into recovery mode. I hold down the 'X' key while I'm booting, and it just freezes on the "m" logo. When I pull the battery out and boot normally, it boots perfectly fine.

I can get into safe mode, oddly enough.

Any ideas on how to fix this. This is a stock OS, 2.1.update1. NOT ROOTED.

Thank you for all this wonderful info! Hopefully someone will have an idea to help me out. Waiting for Verizon to get around to me sucks.....

21. akashamarie85

akashamarie85 Lurker

I installed the 2.2 update ota and now my phone is acting horrible! I have tried the battery pull and it didn't work. How can I switch my phone back to 2.1 until next week? Please use simple terms as I had to make my little brother update my phone in the first place! Thanks for the help!

22. Extr3m1st

Extr3m1st Well-Known Member

Too many people above having issues for me to take the plunge..

23. mayham78

mayham78 Lurker

I have been waiting for this update for about 5 months now. Mainly for the wifi hotspots and flash player. So I could hardly contain myself when I found I could bypass the waiting and manual update. Now I have the update and no wifi hotspots and no flash? Am I missing something?

24. fastback74

fastback74 Lurker

Ok, i've read every post about 10.1 not playing but no one has actually answered the problem. Should I try to reinstall or wait. It says that I have 10.1 and adobe Showcase but when I go to Adobe's site to open the flashplayer it says that the information cannot be found.

25. SilentJ20

SilentJ20 Newbie

Hey Trident,

First off thanks for the help (Thank applied), but I have a couple questions. The install of the 2.0.1 from the sbf file went fine, but the 2.1 forced update failed, so went back to 2.0.1 for now so I can have a working phone.

Also, the v2.0.1 sbf install has some unusual features. It has the 2.1 lock screen (I verified that I am running 2.0.1), unless I have forgotten that the newer lock screen was in 2.0.1... And it seems to be the fastest, snappiest my phone has ever been. Is this v2.0.1 sbf that you linked for me for a stock version?

VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03.sbf

Also, is there a reliable sbf file for v2.1? EDIT: nm, found it on the guide to all thins root page. Is that a good one?

Thanks.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews