• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[How-To] Force the Official Android 2.2 Froyo Update for the Motrola Droid (FRG01B | Update 1 of 2)

I heard once when the Droid came out that Around December they changed teh box and came out with a "New" version wonder if this has anything to do with that? I have one of the originals, got it 3 days after launch. I had no troubles but when 2.1 came I had to a lot of screwing around after the OTA and VZW told me the same thing, eventually I got it myself and its been fine since. Now with 2.2 U just want FRG22 to get some of the bugs cleaned up.

Upvote 0
Is it worth forcing the update right now? I'm really anxious to get the update but I don't want to risk messing up my phone. I'm not real adept at all this, I wouldn't know how to fix things. Another question, when the next build is released, will I still be able to download it? I assume by going into About Phone and checking for system updates? I just want to make sure that if I do this forced install, that it won't affect future updates that are released, that I should be able to download them "correctly" not by forcing them.

Upvote 0
I like it there are some bugs that evident but it shouldn't affect being able to use the OTA when the goto FRG22. It really just comes down to how bad do you want FroYo

So basically I can stay with 2.1 right now, and download FRG22 whenever it comes out, or I can force to 2.2 deal with the bugginess for a little and get FRG22 at the same time I would have anyway?

Upvote 0
For the love of whatever you consider holy, how can I get back to 2.1? I've had the 2.2 update for a few days now and it is horrible. My phone is slower and it will take more time than usual to open up any apps. Then when there are multiple apps running the phone slows down terribly. Also, any of the apps that play music or podcasts (including the default media player) will randomly stop for no reason. My phone will freeze if I am doing to much on it and will take about 5 mins for it to respond again, then it will freeze. The freezing thing is a new issue as of yesterday, so far it has happened three times. I want 2.1 back! It ran so much smoother than this crap. I wanna roll it back and wait for the update next week that will fix any of the 2.2 issues. I have a motorola droid.

Upvote 0
For the love of whatever you consider holy, how can I get back to 2.1? I've had the 2.2 update for a few days now and it is horrible. My phone is slower and it will take more time than usual to open up any apps. Then when there are multiple apps running the phone slows down terribly. Also, any of the apps that play music or podcasts (including the default media player) will randomly stop for no reason. My phone will freeze if I am doing to much on it and will take about 5 mins for it to respond again, then it will freeze. The freezing thing is a new issue as of yesterday, so far it has happened three times. I want 2.1 back! It ran so much smoother than this crap. I wanna roll it back and wait for the update next week that will fix any of the 2.2 issues. I have a motorola droid.

I fell ya FroyoHater....totally
If this is 2.2...it was NOT worth the wait.
Mine too is very laggy and freezes, my gallery is not working properly, the net might as well be dial up (im barely getting 1mb download when before I was about 2.)
That JIT compiler is BS if you ask me it sucked the life right out of my phone.
I called VZW and they sent me to Motorola. I asked Motorola about rolling back to 2.1, they can't as of now but the customer service rep is looking into it and will be giving me a call back within 24hrs.
So to say I'm PO'ed at the moment is an understatement.
Anyway Motorola's # is (if you dont have it) 1800.331.6456. I say call em and give them a piece of you mind like I did. Also I encourage everyone to call and email Verizon and express how them taking the usb tether off is ridiculous (yea we have easy tether but it's only a matter of time before that goes, in my opinion). Im sorry Im not paying 15 a month for 5GB, thats a rip. This is why people root their phones.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I appreciate it. I will be giving them a call here soon. Your totally right about that JIT Compiler. I just recently did a factory reset in hopes that it would help in some odd way. After I did that, it still ran slow but now it appears to be running decently. Though I have feeling that this moment will not last.

Upvote 0
Honestly, at this point, you might as well wait for the official OTA. It's gonna roll out very soon and ironically all of us who installed early will be getting that build too so this effort equates to a geeky sneak preview. LOL

However, if you're feeling adventurous just follow the excellent instructions on the first page of this thread. Screen shots even! Where it says 'Astro' use Estrongs instead. Enjoy 2.2. It's a definite improvement.

The operations on Estrong appear different than Astro. Opened downloads folder, long press update.zip. Operations screen comes up, no edit option. Do i just copy? Then file up button? Then what? Edit, paste functions not easily found. Just trying to figure out how this works. I know people are now saying just wait for the updated OTA, but it bothers me that I can't get this to work.

Upvote 0
So do more people seem to be having trouble then those working fine? I'm just nervous mine won't work well and I'll have to deal with it until next update or I can just have 2.1 working fine for a little longer.

My advice to you is just wait.
it's so hard for me to say that since I have been waiting since Nov of 09 but this build is not right and I would not have done it knowing what I know now.
I have got to figure a way to go back to 2.1, there has to be. I could be dead by the time Motorola gets back to me. And my Droid and I will not get along with it acting like this.
This is so disappointing and when you call, there all like I don't know, Ill have to get back to you. Like seriously, how can you not know. Verizon customer service didn't even know what 2.2 was this morning, I was like OMG this can not be. And this whole tethering thing has got me fuming. Ok Verizon you'll allow the palm pre to do wireless hotspot but not the droid. Does that make sense to anyone? I do not think I will be going with Verizon after this contract is up if I even get another device. I love my droid but when your getting ripped off I cant stand for that. I have other things I can spend 120.00/month on.

It is strange on how were all on the same device yet we have a roller-coaster of experiences.

Upvote 0
The operations on Estrong appear different than Astro. Opened downloads folder, long press update.zip. Operations screen comes up, no edit option. Do i just copy? Then file up button? Then what? Edit, paste functions not easily found. Just trying to figure out how this works. I know people are now saying just wait for the updated OTA, but it bothers me that I can't get this to work.

One can't edit a zip file, just copy it.

1) Navigate to the downloads folder and long-press on update.zip which pops the Operations menu, select Copy. Note that a small white triangle appears at the bottom of the screen.
2) Navigate back to the SD card's root dir.
3) Slide the small white triangle up to display the update.zip file (this drawer is the Clipboard just like in Windows)
4) Long-press on update.zip to pop Clipboard Options and select Paste.

Upvote 0

After copying/cutting the file go to the folder you want to paste it in and long press anywhere on the screen and the paste option will come up.

Ok, i've read every post about 10.1 not playing but no one has actually answered the problem. Should I try to reinstall or wait. It says that I have 10.1 and adobe Showcase but when I go to Adobe's site to open the flashplayer it says that the information cannot be found.

If I am understanding correctly you have installed Adobe Showcase and not Flash 10.1. These are two different things. The only way currently to get Flash 10.1 is to side install, meaning you will have to download the APK and install it manually. It is located here MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Will we still get the OTA update if we do this?

Read below

ATTENTION: Motorola and Verizon have found issue with this OTA update and it is rumored that there will be another next week. For those who have already installed this, don't freak out, you will be able to install the new update right over this one. For those who have not already installed this, it's probably best to wait until next week. Stay tuned for more information..

I'm kind of new here, like most of you are, so I don't mind answering the questions that have already been asked to take some of the burden off the more senior members that have answered these questions numerous times in this thread alone. Please use the search function before posting.

Upvote 0
When I try to force the update I do everything as specified then when I restart my hone in recovery it goes straight to the udate screen without hitting the volume and camera button, all I do is hold x and. power and I'm there. When I click the update it goes for a few seconds and then I get something like this

assert failed: apply_patch_check(“system/app/ GenieWidget.apk”,”595298e6d933b3847895df04aa490bfbb03f7906″,”f66cd409bf80d259cdc7b94c9eaa7“E: Error /sdcard/update.zip(Status 7) Installation aborted.”

It might not be exactly like that cause I copy pasted it from somewhere else but it is at least the same status 7 error. Anyone know hot to fix this?

Upvote 0
When I try to force the update I do everything as specified then when I restart my hone in recovery it goes straight to the udate screen without hitting the volume and camera button, all I do is hold x and. power and I'm there. When I click the update it goes for a few seconds and then I get something like this

assert failed: apply_patch_check(

Upvote 0
For the love of whatever you consider holy, how can I get back to 2.1? I've had the 2.2 update for a few days now and it is horrible.

I'm extremely thrilled to hear that virtually everything I've experienced is being suffered by someone else.

Apparent speed of the device itself seems slower. I've not timed it, and this may be more psychological than anything as I grow more frustrated. However, it does feel a bit laggy. Keep in mind that in order to create as fast a response as possible, I long ago disabled all of the device's transition effects (it doesn't look as pretty, but it's fast).

I've got a 20MB pipe that runs a server, 1-3 laptops, and a variety of handheld devices as my daughters come in and out of the house. I routinely get 1.5MB torrent downloads for new HD Doctor Who episodes. My bandwidth is fine.

As of yesterday's force to FRG01B, the networking (wifi seems worst) has been at best slow. At least 25% of the time, it fails entirely.

YouTube is useless. I assume that because of the fouled network connection, the player simply times out on the stream.

The Gallery lags badly. I assume this is because of the fouled network connection attempting to load Picasa albums and ultimately failing.

Any app (and they are legion) that needs a good Internet connection is now unstable. Because the device can't get decent network connectivity, timeouts are reached and the apps tend to fail.

I play "Trap!" -- an addictive little game involving bouncing balls on the screen. The interesting thing about this app is that it's one of the few affected by the 2D graphics bug introduced in the 2.1 upgrade.

If anything, the performance of "Trap!" is worse under FRG01B than under 2.1.

To be a bit more scientific, I downloaded the LagTest app to check results, and it seems to show that the 2D bug may have been resolved.

It's unclear, then, what might be causing "Trap!" to lag.

Oh, and Flash simple sucks. There's no other way to say it. I tried playing Falling Girl, one of the oldest, simplest Flash games out there. The girl falls slow as molasses in January. Really. Jagged, slow-motion falling. The simple control of click-and-hold doesn't translate into press-and-hold on the handheld. There's no way to interact with the game.

Even if you did, it's so laggy as to be pointless. This may be due in part to network connectivity issues, at least with respect to streaming Flash videos. But Falling Girl is so simple that it ought to load very quickly with no further streaming. It shouldn't be so pointlessly slow.

I've not experienced any problems with local media, but I use Meridian and haven't had occasion to run a playlist in the last 24 hours. I'll fire up "Bill's Party Mix" and see how it goes.

I suspect that the only way to deal with this will be some bright cookie rooting FRG01B. Once done, ROM Manager should work, and one can revert to 2.1.

Short of that, if the FRG22 update resolves these problems, then Verizon/Motorola/Google needs to get it out there ASAP. If there's an FRG22 that's been pushed to some users as reported, we need that file right the frak away.

Bill Stone

Upvote 0
I'm extremely thrilled to hear that virtually everything I've experienced is being suffered by someone else.

Apparent speed of the device itself seems slower. I've not timed it, and this may be more psychological than anything as I grow more frustrated. However, it does feel a bit laggy. Keep in mind that in order to create as fast a response as possible, I long ago disabled all of the device's transition effects (it doesn't look as pretty, but it's fast).

I've got a 20MB pipe that runs a server, 1-3 laptops, and a variety of handheld devices as my daughters come in and out of the house. I routinely get 1.5MB torrent downloads for new HD Doctor Who episodes. My bandwidth is fine.

As of yesterday's force to FRG01B, the networking (wifi seems worst) has been at best slow. At least 25% of the time, it fails entirely.

YouTube is useless. I assume that because of the fouled network connection, the player simply times out on the stream.

The Gallery lags badly. I assume this is because of the fouled network connection attempting to load Picasa albums and ultimately failing.

Any app (and they are legion) that needs a good Internet connection is now unstable. Because the device can't get decent network connectivity, timeouts are reached and the apps tend to fail.

I play "Trap!" -- an addictive little game involving bouncing balls on the screen. The interesting thing about this app is that it's one of the few affected by the 2D graphics bug introduced in the 2.1 upgrade.

If anything, the performance of "Trap!" is worse under FRG01B than under 2.1.

To be a bit more scientific, I downloaded the LagTest app to check results, and it seems to show that the 2D bug may have been resolved.

It's unclear, then, what might be causing "Trap!" to lag.

Oh, and Flash simple sucks. There's no other way to say it. I tried playing Falling Girl, one of the oldest, simplest Flash games out there. The girl falls slow as molasses in January. Really. Jagged, slow-motion falling. The simple control of click-and-hold doesn't translate into press-and-hold on the handheld. There's no way to interact with the game.

Even if you did, it's so laggy as to be pointless. This may be due in part to network connectivity issues, at least with respect to streaming Flash videos. But Falling Girl is so simple that it ought to load very quickly with no further streaming. It shouldn't be so pointlessly slow.

I've not experienced any problems with local media, but I use Meridian and haven't had occasion to run a playlist in the last 24 hours. I'll fire up "Bill's Party Mix" and see how it goes.

I suspect that the only way to deal with this will be some bright cookie rooting FRG01B. Once done, ROM Manager should work, and one can revert to 2.1.

Short of that, if the FRG22 update resolves these problems, then Verizon/Motorola/Google needs to get it out there ASAP. If there's an FRG22 that's been pushed to some users as reported, we need that file right the frak away.

Bill Stone

I have a 5mb pipe with several laptops, phones, etc and I am not experiencing any of the issues you are talking about. I found that after the update, my droid became finicky with routers and that needs to be fixed. The phone would lose connection, but still show on the router and the phone that it was connected. Because it thought it was connected, it wouldn't switch to 3g and all my stuff would look like it was slow/frozen, etc. I switched my wifi from mixed mode 11b, g and n, to mixed mode 11g and n and that fixed it. Either that or just the act of rebooting after the change. It now holds the connection and the OS and the connection scream.

I would suggest tweaking your router somehow. Or just reboot and see what happens. It still sucks because I can't connect to the other wifis that I have tried, but at least it's good at home and I can 3g it away from home.

Upvote 0
I'm going to ask again as it seems the pro's are awake now. (Thats what I get for posting at midnight. :p)

I have an non-rooted Droid running 2.1.update 1, and I cannot get into recovery mode. I power on Holding X, and it just freezes at the 'M' logo.

Any idea's?

Thank you

Slide the keyboard out and hold it down with a pen cap (which I had to do my first time cause of my fat fingers) and continue to hold it while you power it on. It's possible you're holding down more than one button

Upvote 0
I have a 5mb pipe with several laptops, phones, etc and I am not experiencing any of the issues you are talking about. I found that after the update, my droid became finicky with routers and that needs to be fixed. The phone would lose connection, but still show on the router and the phone that it was connected. Because it thought it was connected, it wouldn't switch to 3g and all my stuff would look like it was slow/frozen, etc. I switched my wifi from mixed mode 11b, g and n, to mixed mode 11g and n and that fixed it. Either that or just the act of rebooting after the change. It now holds the connection and the OS and the connection scream.

In fact, rebooting the router and re-establishing the wireless connection was one of the first things I tried. I'll mess with the router, but I'm unclear what I'd change and what effect it might have on other wireless devices on my home network.

It's obviously not feasible for users to mess with routers at their workplace or public location. ;)

I wonder what the difference between our devices is? My specific situation is:

I was one of the first purchasers of the Droid on release day. Theoretically, I would have an early physical version of the device. If there were any engineering changes from that manufacturing to when others bought their devices, that might account for the difference.

I also applied FRG01B to a stock, non-rooted phone. Perhaps others upgraded from a different circumstance?

I suppose it comes down to a buggy networking stack somewhere. Consequently, any individual device's reaction to the bug(s) may be unpredictable. There may be other apps installed that impact network connectivity in the background, etc.

If anyone's interested, I just blogged about this, retracting yesterday's blog about how to install FRG01B.

Bill Stone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones