• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[How-To] Force the Official Android 2.2 Froyo Update for the Motrola Droid (FRG01B | Update 1 of 2)

With ROM Manager, you're able to go into ROM Manager and restore your phone to the stock 2.0.1 file - it's pretty simple, just go to ROM Manager --> Download ROM --> Stock Images --> Verizon DROID 2.0.1 Stock

Don't select the Verizon Droid 2.2 Froyo leak

*sigh* so this isn't working... I've tried downloading the 2.0.1 file it seems like it hangs around 20%. Is there another way to get back to 2.0.1 or 2.1?

Upvote 0
The OS on your phone is called a ROM.

A non-official ROM is called an alternate ROM.

If you're not running a ROM, you're not running anything on your phone - i.e. it is off / bricked.

So, which version are you running currently (Settings --> About Phone )

Sorry, I didn't know that. I assumed you meant custom ROM

Firmware Version- 2.1-update1
Baseband Version- C-01.3E.03P
Kernel Version- 2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788
android-build@apa26 #1
Build Number- ESE81

Upvote 0
I have tried pulling the battery and letting it sit. Its been on the big white M screen for almost an hour now. Do you think it would help If i went into my phone and deleted the "update.zip" file? this ADP reboot does this work with the droid?

Deleting the update.zip won't do you any good, as it is only used when in recovery to put the ROM on your phone.

It sounds like you are definitely missing an OS right now.

Yes, ADB reboot recovery works on the DROID - I have used it 100s of times on my phone as I like to use ADB to control my phonewhen doing things like this.

If you can get into recovery, see if you have a backup you can load (you did make a backup, right?) Also, were you rooted before or not, have you ever useed recovery before or not?

Amazing!

Car Dock is finally worth keeping. Goodbye CCH.

Chrome to Phone blows my mind!!

Camera has some amazing upgrades.

Much faster switching between pages and apps.

Auto update in market saves a lot of time.

Voice search is improved, still learning some new tricks.

WOW! WOW! WOW!

I highly recommend that you do nto turn on autoupdate for all your apps - b/c you never know when an app will try to autoupdate and get stuck / the phone powers off in the middle of it and you're hosed.

Update ALL, though, rocks.

Reactions: rcaine
Upvote 0
Sorry, I didn't know that. I assumed you meant custom ROM

Firmware Version- 2.1-update1
Baseband Version- C-01.3E.03P
Kernel Version- 2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788
android-build@apa26 #1
Build Number- ESE81

That is the right version you should be using to get to 2.2

Are you rooted at all? How did you get SPRecovery on the phone? Which version of SPRecovery are you using?

Upvote 0
Deleting the update.zip won't do you any good, as it is only used when in recovery to put the ROM on your phone.

Yes, ADB reboot recovery works on the DROID - I have used it 100s of times on my phone as I like to use ADB to control my phonewhen doing things like this.

If you can get into recovery, see if you have a backup you can load (you did make a backup, right?) Also, were you rooted before or not, have you ever useed recovery before or not?

I highly recommend that you do nto turn on autoupdate for all your apps - b/c you never know when an app will try to autoupdate and get stuck / the phone powers off in the middle of it and you're hosed.

Sadly no i did not make a backup because I was only going to upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2. also my phone was not rooted i was running stock 2.1 can i still use ADB?

Upvote 0
That is the right version you should be using to get to 2.2

Are you rooted at all? How did you get SPRecovery on the phone? Which version of SPRecovery are you using?

I don't remember, I believe I used RSD Lite a while back to root, and then installed custom roms and got tired of it, and went back to stock 2.0.1 updated to 2.1 OTA and I assumed I was fully stock.

On SPRecovery it says:
Android System recovery <2e>
Patched by SirPsychoS (0.99.3b)

I go to install it and i get an assert failed: apply_patch_check....then a long list of numbers and Error Status (7)
Installation Aborted

Upvote 0
I guess my droid just wont get Froyo :(

I have downloaded off each server, still get an error each time.

SPRecovery. 2.1 Rooted - no custom rom.

Umm, try reverting to a stock 2.1 unrooted.

Sadly no i did not make a backup because I was only going to upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2. also my phone was not rooted i was running stock 2.1 can i still use ADB?

You may not be able to, it depends upon what is loaded in hte background.

If you don't already have ADB, at least try the manual method to get into recovery and see if that works. If it does not, you'll need to get RSDLite and an SBF file to put on there.

Upvote 0

Excellent point, thanks for the tip. ;)

Upvote 0
This is the same way I upgraded to 2.1 (without incident). This update has proven equally trouble-free.

Notes:

+ Took ~150 seconds to reboot the first time (to get to the lock screen).
+ Took another ~120 seconds for everything to settle down (widgets to come up, etc.).
+ Settings/About shows Android Version 2.2; Build Number FRG01B.
+ WiFi radio was clearly hamstrung. Showed no bars; connection was SLOWWWW. Disabled and re-enabled WiFi, and it seemed fine.

- REBOOTED AGAIN -

+ Took ~35 seconds to get to the lock screen.
+ Took ~30 seconds for everything to settle down.
+ WiFi connected just fine.

Yes, all data was preserved, including my FolderOganizer "labels" (didn't have to re-add any FO icons or anything). All settings seem to have been preserved as well (sync accounts; WiFi connections; brightness; I've checked everything I can think of).

Now I'm off to test voice quality and download Flash.

Don't freak; just follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread! :)

Upvote 0
If i cant get into the phone OS at all would it be ok to just factory reset? All of my important files are backed up including contacts and photos. My main concern is not bricking my phone.

If you cannot get in, how are you going to do the reset?

If there is no working OS, you'll need RSDLite to put a working OS on there.

Upvote 0
Skyscraper and ovenman, what version of SPR are you running, and how did you get it?

If either of you have ROM Manager, could you flash to ClockworMod, then in settings allow to erase recovery before installing, then flash back to SPRecovery?

I downloaded Rom Manager and clicked flash ClockworkMod Recovery and it says "An error occured while attempting to run privileged commands!"

edit: i have 0.99.3b

Upvote 0
Just wanted to toss this out there and see what you guys think.

1. Have a MacBookPro.

2. Box stock un-rooted Droid with 2.1.

3. Followed Trident's instructions to down load the update.

4. First used Safari and turned off the preferences to open the download as per Trident's instructions. Then I used Google Chrome for the downloads.

5. I have since downloaded the update.zip from each of the recommended download sites and I get " E:signtature verification failed, ". I have done multiple downloads from some of the sites but still I can't get past the E:signtature verification failed, message.

6. May in no way be related to the issue above, but every time I mount the Droid it opens the photo album, wazup wit dat? Could this have anything to do with it....... I don't think so but I don't know.

Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones