• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[How-To] Force the Official Android 2.2 Froyo Update for the Motrola Droid (FRG22D | Update 2 of 2)

I am rooted using easy root and when I tried to install this update I got this error:

Assert failed : apply_patch_check (”MTD : Boot : 2504704 : 0b5ee101da41148aa026a32848f609fa4b05403e:2875392:d104d2ec84a2d0660e786c0fb8174bfacb4079d6″)
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation Aborted

Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
I don't see anyone else asking this but is it even safe to force update? I ask because when I went to download the file via the internet, it tells you it's an insecure connection...when I tried the other way through my phone, it says the name on the certificate doesn't match the name on the site and to either continue or cancel. Seeing that stuff makes me iffy so I backed out totally. Thanks

Upvote 0
I don't see anyone else asking this but is it even safe to force update?

I was reluctant to force the first FRG01B update due to the sheer size (45+Mb) and the complexity involved in trying to manually force an entire OS upgrade. I waited.

I'm glad I did. When the update finally arrived via OTA, I reverted to a clean, stock Home screen before I let the update proceed. (I was running ADW Launcher with 4 screens and about 6 widgets.)

The install took all of 4 minutes and the end result was flawless as far as I'm concerned. The overall performance and speed increases were obvious. Especially in the browser and GPS applications. Super fast.
Reliable & Stable.

When FRG22D became available, I figured I'd wait again.

Then I started thinking, hey, this is only a minor 1.6 Mb patch, as opposed to a major 45+Mb OS update. I decided to give it a try.

Following the instructions I found at: How to manually install the latest FRG22D firmware for Droid to access Flash Player 10.1 – Android and Me, I decided why not?

I followed the clearly explained procedure to the letter, and less than 2 minutes later it was done. No issues. No problems.

As soon as it rebooted, I immediately went to the Market and "Flash Player 10.1" was already waiting for me at the top of the list. I added it to "push" via AppBrain a couple of weeks ago, and there it was.

Once again, perfection.
No issues whatsoever.

Go for it.

I got a new phone -twice- in the last month...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies jmack and OMJ. Much appreciated. Guess I'll give this a shot as the last 4 days I've been anticipating an update on my phone to no avail. I've also been waiting for flash as long as everyone else. Can't wait to be able to play videos from other sites besides youtube and finally be able to mess with my games on facebook

Like I said, I was reluctant to try and force FRG01B, but FRG22D was nothing more than a small patch. Besides, I really wanted to try it out of curiosity just to see if I could do it.

It turned out to be completely uneventful - it's just a 1.6Mb patch, and nothing to fear. The changes are almost insignificant, the main one being that Flash Player 10.1 becomes "unlocked" in the Market for download.

My biggest problem was pressing the "Volume Up" button & the "Camera" button simultaneously, I have fingers like tree stumps...

Reactions: pdm0376
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones