• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to free up RAM pls help

sonyboyj

Jun 28, 2012
Canada
i have a Galaxy nexus and it says i have 73mb free ram i installed apps to see if they would free ram i found none that do a good job i uninstalled apps nothing i need help cause most of the ram is being used some how. im not rooted i have nexus root toolkit but havent used it cause i want to figure out if i can unlock and root and still use the stock rom. and make sure no privacy invasize crap will be installed during the process so i any one knows how i can get some RAm back pls let me know.:thinking:

Why do you want empty RAM sitting there doing no good to anyone?

This is the way that android (and any *nix - unix, linux, OSX) memory management works. Frequently/recently used apps remain cached in RAM. If you switch to them again, they don't need to be reloaded, saving time and energy. If another app needs the RAM, they will be dumped to make space. But there's no gain in having most of your RAM empty, because it's not doing anything for you. The old mantra is "free RAM is wasted RAM".

Don't worry about it, let the phone get on with it. Unless you have some rogue app, in which case that should be dealt with individually, you are better off leaving it alone. Apps that claim to free RAM generally just end up fighting the OS and wasting power, and you're better off without them.

As for rooting, the best is to ask in the Galaxy Nexus All Things Root forum. But yes, you can root and keep your stock ROM, and without installing invasive apps in the process :)

Upvote 0
so if i use the program nexus root toolkit and unlock the bootloader and just click root without check marking custom recovery it will root my stock rom so i dont have to download any.img or roms files. and when rooting is over theres no hiding processes that collect info and sent them to people right. im just worried cause i never rooted or messed with my phone before and i take privacy strongly

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones