1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to fully backup and restore? (device swap)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jkc120, Dec 26, 2011.

1. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

I'm going to take my Nexus in tomorrow to get it replaced for the 2nd time (so this will be my 3rd nexus). If you care to know why, see my thread here:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/471192-examples-black-crush-washout.html

Anyway, my reason for exchanging is neither here nor there.

What I'm interested in is how I can do a full backup and then restore to the replacement device? After my 1st return, I decided NOT to root this one or unlock the bootloader. So I'm dealing with a 100% stock device.

I can backup the entire contents of the drive exposed by MTP, but is there a way I can literally do the equivalent of what I could have done on my dinc which was:

- nandroid backup phone to sdcard
    - wipe phone
    - get replacement
    - nandroid restore from sdcard

Is there any hope of doing that, or should I just plan to re-set everything up (all assuming my issue is NOT there and the 3rd time is the charm for me)?

Thanks in advance.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sperho

sperho Android Enthusiast

So what did you end up doing?

3. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

I just copied the contents of the drive to my Mac (my win7 work laptop is dead, left my charger at my parents' heh). I'm going to restore that data later. Fortunately I didn't really have anything irreplaceable. :)

Once my rezound has gone through a few full charge/discharge cycles I'll copy things back to my SD card.

4. sperho

sperho Android Enthusiast

I guess that doesn't get all the more 'systemy' directories that you can see in a file explorer?

5. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

Right but since I was moving to a rezound I didn't need all the system/ics stuff so I just did the easy thing and copied the sdcard stuff.

sperho likes this.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews