• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to get 3G

roly947

Sep 10, 2011
I did the metro 2.2.2 update yesterday and noticed that I began getting the 3G logo instead of the 1x. internet moved alot faster, then i decided to to the *228 update.... bam back to 1x. Did the the 3020 prl update and noticed that when I had the phone hooked up to my laptop the 3G logo was on, as soon as I unplugged, back to 1x. Decided to go into the menu, 3020 prl was up, then went into the *#*#4636#*#* menu, went to phone info, scrolled down, and changed the setting from CDMA (auto prl) to EVDO only. 3G on and working. in miami.

I updated to 3020 prl from 3019 and didn't get 3g (no suprise). Seen this thread and tried it, got the 3g icon for a minute then went to no signal (no signal with X). So I reverted back to the CDMA (auto prl) and got the good ol' 1x slowness! I live in the Detroit area. My service sucks in my house so I have been doing anything I can to get a better signal or faster data speeds (without using WiFi). Still super slow metro, oh well. Hope it works for someone!

Still don't understand why my Optimus has no bars pretty much everywhere, but my old LG Imprint had great service everywhere (even in the basement), also my girl has the Blackberry and has great signal! That's my only negative thought about this phone, other then that I think its a great $99 phone. Rooted and got rid of the Metro BS bloatware and seems great....other then the crappy signal quality!

Upvote 0
I'm still running 3020. All i've done is
1. Update via metro site. That gave me 2.2.2 &3020
2. Did *228. That brought me back to 3019
3. Updated back to 3020 via pc, that gave me flashes of 3G until I unplugged usb.
4. Went to phone menu & changed cdma option to evdo only and 3G came back up & has not gone down. Still running 3020 prl.

Upvote 0
Well I already had the 3020 prl and when I went and switched to evdo only the 3G logo showed up. (Im like 5 mins from downtown) but the thing is I cant get any calls or texts. Roly what about you?
The problem with putting it in evdo only mode is if there are not any towers with evdo available there is no fall back and so you get nothing.

Upvote 0
The problem with putting it in evdo only mode is if there are not any towers with evdo available there is no fall back and so you get nothing.

yeah the 3g logo popped up and when I called another phone using my phone it went through but from another phone to my phone it didnt work. It did bounce back from 3g to 1x once but other than that just the logo came up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones