• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to Get Hot Spot Tether.

Does anyone know how to get tmobile hotspot for free. I know it cost 15 Dollars a month but isnt there a way to delete something to get tethering without tmobile knowing. (I am rooted)

Sure there is a way, first go to settings/mobile network/access point names, then hit menu then create a new apn and name it what ever you want, under apn paste this (epc.tmobile.com) and save it..
Now you have free tethering. :D

Upvote 0
Sure there is a way, first go to settings/mobile network/access point names, then hit menu then create a new apn and name it what ever you want, under apn paste this (epc.tmobile.com) and save it..

i actually have known this for a while now, but completely forgot about this post. Thanks for contributing though.

Upvote 0
To the OP- are you running ICS or GB?

I just had an Amaze sent to me to replace my MT4G that broke the LED (not the glass), and it will be here in a day or two. I've a bit of a learning curve being as I want to root the AMAZE when I get it (never rooted a device before)... and I am hoping this comes with GB and not ICS to avoid the $15 Hotspot fee. (a complete rip off that should get T Mobile a class-action lawsuit, IMHO...) Gee you get to pay extra to use the data you are already paying for with a phone that's already equipped to do it.

Question- do I need root to achieve the work-around that elwaxman gave; and secondly, under the new apn, would it look something like this:
(new name here)
eps.tmobile.com

??

Thanks so much. I can't wait for the phone to get here. I was real frustrated with being stuck with GB that couldn't be rooted on the MT4G without the big hassles; that being said, GB was SO much better than Froyo.... one more question, if I may..

Do I really want ICS on AMAZE? Is it more efficient than GB? I understand that with the ICS update comes the dreaded WIFI hotspot police from T-Mobile... BTW the only reason I want root is to rid the device of bloatware once and for all... Thanks.

Upvote 0

elwaxman- okay so I just got dinged for the $15 monthly fee on my new ICS AMAZE (grr)... my new phone's ICS Edit Access Point menu says:

NAME
not set

APN
not set

PROXY
not set

and so forth, including

PASSWORD
not set

so would I do this:

NAME
Your Name Here

APN
epc.tmobile.com

and assign my own password under "PASSWORD"?

Do I need to make any kind of proxy settings, etc? Thanks
(and of course, cancel my $15 ripoff charge....)

Upvote 0
Just cancelled my $15 WIFI tethering "extortion fee". lol

Waiting for the system to update. I just installed Fox Fi. We'll see how that works.

Did you get Fox Fi to work? My wife has the HTC Amaze on t-mobile and could not get it work. The connection kept dropping the moment we connected to the phone. Turned off Juice Defender and it still wouldn't work. I own a Galaxy S2 (rooted) (also on t-mobile) and tether without any problems. I'd rather not root my wife's phone.

Upvote 0
Did you get Fox Fi to work? My wife has the HTC Amaze on t-mobile and could not get it work. The connection kept dropping the moment we connected to the phone. Turned off Juice Defender and it still wouldn't work. I own a Galaxy S2 (rooted) (also on t-mobile) and tether without any problems. I'd rather not root my wife's phone.

Just change the APN, you dont need root.

Reactions: Captain Mal 78
Upvote 0
Just change the APN, you dont need root.

Thanks for the tip. I tethered both phones to the same device and they were in the same part of the house, yet with the Galaxy S2, the load times for web pages were about 2-3 times faster than the Amaze. Could it be because the Galaxy S2 is rooted and running a custom ICS rom? The Amaze is running on stock ICS.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip. I tethered both phones to the same device and they were in the same part of the house, yet with the Galaxy S2, the load times for web pages were about 2-3 times faster than the Amaze. Could it be because the Galaxy S2 is rooted and running a custom ICS rom? The Amaze is running on stock ICS.

I couldn't tell you. I'm running Dolphin HD browser and don't usually use the OEM one. I may give it a spin to compare the two.

Upvote 0
Grr.... while out and about I left my mobile hotspot on for too long... and T-mobile locked me out of my work-around. No workee anymore. I'm sorry but this is just greed and T-mobile is likely to lose me as a customer after 6 years unless the Company Loyalty dept can give this to me for no extra charge. I'm not about to pay for something I got for free with GB simply because I got shipped a replacement phone running ICS. Total ripoff.

Upvote 0
Grr.... while out and about I left my mobile hotspot on for too long... and T-mobile locked me out of my work-around. No workee anymore. I'm sorry but this is just greed and T-mobile is likely to lose me as a customer after 6 years unless the Company Loyalty dept can give this to me for no extra charge. I'm not about to pay for something I got for free with GB simply because I got shipped a replacement phone running ICS. Total ripoff.

Just download wifi tether for root users from the playstore, and
Press the Menu Button.
Click Settings.
Click "Change Device-Profile".
If you are on Ice Cream Sandwich, choose "Generic ICS".
If you are on T-Mobile, Scroll down and MUST select "Routing Fix".
Tether!!!!

Upvote 0
Just download wifi tether for root users from the playstore, and
Press the Menu Button.
Click Settings.
Click "Change Device-Profile".
If you are on Ice Cream Sandwich, choose "Generic ICS".
If you are on T-Mobile, Scroll down and MUST select "Routing Fix".
Tether!!!!

hey my friend, thank you. My phone isn't rooted, however, so I don't think it will work on mine. Thanks! I may try FoxFi...

Upvote 0
Hmmm. It's tempting. But after much consideration, I'm not sure the benefits will outweigh the hazards. I don't really want to babysit the device.

well if you want look at the roms that are in my thread in the all root section.
if you find one you like go for it. If you dont then dont. If you feel safer using stock than that how you feel. Dont want to pressure you into doing it.

Reactions: 1BlinkGone
Upvote 0
well if you want look at the roms that are in my thread in the all root section.
if you find one you like go for it. If you dont then dont. If you feel safer using stock than that how you feel. Dont want to pressure you into doing it.
Oh no problem, bro. Thank you for your help and concern... I'm still considering root for the phone (I just was at a local T-Mobile shop a few days ago and what I heard from the reps started me thinking). Seeing that JellyBean really won't benefit me or T-Mobile providing an update that I don't think I want... I might just jump in and try one of those roms. That prospect is becoming more of a probability as I consider all the aspects of this. Thanks so much.

(edit) what I don't want to do is dote over my phone like it's a windows box if I DO root my amaze. I just want to root, be done with it, and use it. Lol.

Upvote 0

hey bruddah I think I'm going over the fence and going to root this thing. I will keep you informed. Not interested in all things linux/Android, just want the freedom and flexibility root will bring. I dont see that T Mobile is going to follow-through with a JB update for AMAZE, and I don't want it anyway.
BBL...

Upvote 0
hey bruddah I think I'm going over the fence and going to root this thing. I will keep you informed. Not interested in all things linux/Android, just want the freedom and flexibility root will bring. I dont see that T Mobile is going to follow-through with a JB update for AMAZE, and I don't want it anyway.
BBL...

Contact me through gtalk
hurtado.christian13

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones