• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to get mote battery time?

Upvote 0
Most hero users have come to the realisation that for the most part, killing apps will not improve battery life (in fact taskillers often cause many more problems than they save because people kill applications without understanding the wider impact on other phone functions and break things).

The exception to this is apps that have high network usage (email, social networking etc) - reducing the use of these or having longer update frequencies can make a difference.

GPS is only used when required by an app - leaving it switched on will not cause battery drain unless you are also using an app which calls for gps positioning data.

The big killer in your case is probably leaving wi-fi on all the time - this will have a substantial impact on battery life.

Upvote 0
My phone was fully charged last night at 12:00 and at 8:00am this morning when i first woke it up the battery had dropped to 75%. Is it normal to drain that much just by sitting there doing nothing?

I don't want to start deactivating too much because if i did that then what's the point of having a smart phone. In future i'll leave it charging over night though.

Upvote 0
My phone was fully charged last night at 12:00 and at 8:00am this morning when i first woke it up the battery had dropped to 75%. Is it normal to drain that much just by sitting there doing nothing?

I don't want to start deactivating too much because if i did that then what's the point of having a smart phone. In future i'll leave it charging over night though.

I just switch mobile data and gps off overnight and I usually don't get any measurable battery drain by morning - or perhaps 10% at most (I only turn wi-fi on when I need it). I don't use a task killer - email checking, facebook, twitter etc set to 2 hour frequency although obviously nothing happens overnight as mobile data is off. When I get up I switch mobile data and gps back on - simples :)

Upvote 0
I just switch mobile data and gps off overnight and I usually don't get any measurable battery drain by morning - or perhaps 10% at most (I only turn wi-fi on when I need it). I don't use a task killer - email checking, facebook, twitter etc set to 2 hour frequency although obviously nothing happens overnight as mobile data is off. When I get up I switch mobile data and gps back on - simples :)

How do you set the frequency for facebook/twitter checking? Also, is gmail settings in the place?

Many thanks

Upvote 0
How do you set the frequency for facebook/twitter checking? Also, is gmail settings in the place?

Many thanks

I use the default app for twitter, bloo for facebook and the default email app for gmail (not the supplied gmail app). For twitter and bloo, press the menu button while in the app and select settings or preferences. You will see a setting for updating. For the default email app use the main phone settings (press menu from the home screen) and select 'data synchronisation'.

Upvote 0

If you had wireless/mobile data on then it was probably busy all night, otherwise it would barely have drained. I usually leave mine on charge overnight as I have backups/podcast downloads scheduled to run then.

Upvote 0

I had something similar happen to me last night with some differences. The battery was completely dead and turned phone off, so I left it charging over night, in the morning the led was green indicating a full charge, I unplugged it, turned it on and let it completely boot up and then checked what my battery was at, it was at 85%. How can this be???... Do I have a faulty battery??... Why wouldn't be at a 100% if the phone was off all night?.

Upvote 0
Yes i have got that enabled. Trouble is i played with my phone so much i've lost track of what i've got installed :p

I use twitter, facebook and feedr quite a lot and i suppose they would be running in the background

I thought the battery was rubbish on my first couple of days usage...

Then I realised that playing with the phone practically every minute of the day affects the battery!!

Takes a lot of time to find the apps, games etc I want

Upvote 0
i can confirm that im still receiving emails even though i have turned off that option as well..so i really dont knnow what its for :|, mind you im using GPRS not HSPA or 3G (since those services on orange here in southern spain are crap, and even the girl from the orange shop told me not to bother with them..so perhaps its for that?)

lets see if my battery life increases now as well..cause with it turned on, im getting less than 24hrs without charing...

Upvote 0
ok after a week of testing i can confirm that with out the option turned on my phone lasts for more than 3 days with out a charge (With normal usage, couple of phone calls a day, some text messages, using google maps here and there etc).

I still recieve emails, though i must admit its a little eratic, does not seem to pick up every hour like i tell it to, but for most of the time it picks them up just phone.

Considering how much battery life im saving with this option turned off, its well worth it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones