1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How to get rid of 1000s of synced contacts?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thakrar2, Jun 10, 2011.

1. thakrar2

thakrar2 Lurker
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    Hi there,

Just got my Galaxy S2 and it's a great phone but having some trouble with contacts, and I'd really appreciate if someone here could help out!

I selected to merge contacts with Google and suddenly I had over 5000 contacts on my phone, pretty much everyone I've exchanged an email with over the last 6 years as well as my normal contacts. I can't delete them all without also losing the 200-300 phone contacts I have already.

It wouldn't be an issue because I can hide them from the phone book, but they still show up in the Messaging application. Does anyone know a way of getting rid of these contacts? I really do want to do it permanently, and separate out the ones with numbers so I can back them up properly.

Advertisement

2. Dbauddls90

Dbauddls90 Lurker
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    exact same problem...

managed to get rid of them in phone contacts, but still shows up in message contacts...

can anyone help?

3. jimlad

jimlad Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    you need to tidy your gmail account.

[​IMG]

the rule is simple. if they are in my contacts in gmail then they will show. see my screen shot i have 149. i fully recommend having a good tidy and merge. remove from 'my contacts' anyone you don't want on your phone.

Jozudave likes this.
  4. slippyr4

slippyr4 Newbie
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    I don't have an S2 (yet) but on my desire there is an option in the phonebook to only show contacts with phone numbers - which thins out the list considerably.

5. kwazyivan

kwazyivan Lurker
    None

Jun 23, 2011
    Best option is, if you have the contacts saved in your sim card, restoring to factory settings and then adding the gmail account again but this time without merging it with the current contacts.

6. sami375

sami375 Lurker
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    I had the same problem but found that there's an option in the settings to only sync contacts with a certain label. So I created a label in my google contacts called "phone contacts".
    Have a good tidy in google contacts and create a label for your phone contacts

7. KING LUFF

KING LUFF Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Tidy your Gmail account!