• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to get rid of Google Play alert: Waiting for WLAN

j4nd3r53n

Mar 26, 2015
Recently, for some reason, I have started seeing an icon on the login screen of my phone; when I check what it is, it turns out to say:

Google Play
Waiting for WLAN

There doesn't seem to be any further information when I try to open it - it just goes away, but then comes back a few minutes later. It seems to me that it has no function, and any way, I don't want alerts from Google Play at all.

Is there any way to permanently stop it from recurring (short of uninstalling Google Play)? I have already modified all settings I could think of: turned off notifications for everything called Google Something, turned off permission to show on lock screen, start in the background and display on pop-up window, and I have told the app to not add an icon on the home screen and to not notify me about anything. But they still keep popping up.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones