• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to get rid of "talk over WiFi" when I am on WiFi?

SFBayArea

Android Enthusiast
May 4, 2010
The option of talking over WiFi when I am connected to the WiFi is great, however, at some parts of my house WiFi is really weak and when I am connected to WiFi people can't hear me at all. Is there a way to make this over WiFi phone call optional without disconnecting WiFi?

Thanks.

I'm guessing you are on T-Mobile (I think there are not that many carriers left that support wifi calling (the new UMA).

I think, from when Rogers had UMA/Wifi-Calling, that somewhere you set two choices:

Wifi Preferred or Mobile Network Preferred. Unfortunately, the wifi preferred assumes strong enough signal. So assuming that more access points / repeaters are out of the question, I think another option might be an app that disconnects wifi at a certain signal threshold.

I have an app that sets priority on wifi but not quite what we need here. Mine will switch to another AP if the signal dips (at a threshold I configure) but another AP with better signal is present. I have 3 AP's in the house so it works for me. What we have to find for you is an app that is similar that will drop wifi if the signal is below a certain dbm.

This app "ByeFi" (lol) sounds hopeful:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hm.byefi

Upvote 0
I suppose I'd try repositioning the router. Sometimes the range is compromised based on where it is located.

Is your router dual-band? Maybe you can connect using one of the others.

What I would do is have a look on a PC with NetStumbler (although there is probably an app for this from the market) to view the surrounding access points and determine what their channel is and relative strength and if they are open or secured. If you are on the same channel as someone else in your vicinity, move to another channel.

Another possibility... might be a WiFi extender?

Upvote 0
I'm guessing you are on T-Mobile (I think there are not that many carriers left that support wifi calling (the new UMA).

I think, from when Rogers had UMA/Wifi-Calling, that somewhere you set two choices:

Wifi Preferred or Mobile Network Preferred. Unfortunately, the wifi preferred assumes strong enough signal. So assuming that more access points / repeaters are out of the question, I think another option might be an app that disconnects wifi at a certain signal threshold.

I have an app that sets priority on wifi but not quite what we need here. Mine will switch to another AP if the signal dips (at a threshold I configure) but another AP with better signal is present. I have 3 AP's in the house so it works for me. What we have to find for you is an app that is similar that will drop wifi if the signal is below a certain dbm.

This app "ByeFi" (lol) sounds hopeful:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hm.byefi

Yep, you right - T Mobile. And this feature is annoying.

Upvote 0
Oh! That article looks like it will do the trick!

As an aside, my next suggestion would be to request from T-Mo to remove you from the WiFi/UMA Calling Service. The reason I'd suggest that is, unlike T-Mobile, where everyone with a T-Mo branded phone, T-Mo Service, and a wifi-calling/UMA capable device was automatically subscribed to UMA. On Rogers, we had to have a Rogers branded phone, be subscribed to the Rogers network, have a Wifi-calling/UMA device ***AND*** pay $5/$10/$15 per month for the priviledge. I had to call in to get myself subscribed and added. This implies that you could call in and "un-add" yourself.

At that time, the only networks in North America with Wi-Fi Calling or UMA were Rogers, T-Mobile and Cincinatti Bell; and you had to meet all 4 criteria for Wi-fi-calling / UMA to work. As a side note, while it did save on minutes, the quality was awful... but, that was years ago.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones