• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to get rid of those stupid little ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennylava

Aug 20, 2011
How do you get rid of those stupid little ads that plague android phones? Seems like every time I'm doing something on my phone like web browsing or even playing angry birds, those annoying ads are bothering me. I've already rooted the phone and installed titanium backup, so I can uninstall things if I need to. What exactly do you do, to get rid of them?

I don't really care that they're trying to make money. I already spent money on the phone, and I spend money in the android marketplace. I am using adblock plus on this very website cause I'm not interested in any of the advertisements or BS gimicks. So is there a way to permanently block the annoying ads?

Upvote 0
Most of the software, apps and games available in Android Market is ridiculously inexpensive: 99 cents, a dollar or two. Some of it is higher, just shop. ;)

Devs do work to make these apps, offering them free for trial or just plain free always amazes me. The ads in some free apps sometimes seem annoying (the scrolling ones, blinking etc), so I go ahead and upgrade to the paid version if I like the app/game that much.

Upvote 0
I don't really care that they're trying to make money. I already spent money on the phone, and I spend money in the android marketplace. I am using adblock plus on this very website cause I'm not interested in any of the advertisements or BS gimicks. So is there a way to permanently block the annoying ads?

And devs dont really care if you're not interested in the ads. They either make a living or stop making their apps. You lose in that situation, when devs just start making apps for themselves and not put it in market for people like you who dont care about them and the effort they put in making those games.

You paid for the phone, and you pay getting into the market, but you arent paying for the effort they exert in making the apps, the ads do. The first thing economics class teaches us: "There is no free lunch".

Upvote 0

How do you get paid? Maybe you employer should use "paycheck block". :D

Upvote 0

dont you think you are being a little short sighted???

everyone deserves to make a living.. dont you make a living?

cost of phone goes to the manufacture
android makes money on searches
carriers make money on monthly service fees
the app developers... you want them to be your slave?

Upvote 0
Some apps do not even have a paid version, nor do they tell you to donate. I don't have many apps that have ads, but I would prefer to block a few of them - groupon is one.

The other problem is that someone could insert malicious ads. Either intentionally or not. You can also unintentionally "fat finger" an ad.

Even if you donate, there is no assurance that will get rid of the ads.

The developer does need to be paid, but what do you do with those who prefer to use adware or nagware?

Upvote 0
I for one have no problem with in app ads. And happily support developers cuz they are the ones who make all the android goodness possible. Now unobtrusive ads are one thing, but Rovio has put ads on angry birds now that cover half the screen, completely stopping you from playing. And I'm sure there are othersjust haven't noticed yet

Upvote 0
... I already spent money on the phone,

What does you paying money that's split between your provider and HTC/Motorola/Samsung/ etc have to do with not letting an app developer to get ad revenue? I spent money on buying my car, but that doesn't mean I can walk into a Pep Boys and take motor oil for free...

and I spend money in the android marketplace.

Again, what does spending money in a marketplace with Devs A and B have to do with Dev C getting paid?

Upvote 0
Some apps do not even have a paid version, nor do they tell you to donate. I don't have many apps that have ads, but I would prefer to block a few of them - groupon is one.

The other problem is that someone could insert malicious ads. Either intentionally or not. You can also unintentionally "fat finger" an ad.

Even if you donate, there is no assurance that will get rid of the ads.

The developer does need to be paid, but what do you do with those who prefer to use adware or nagware?

1. Post a low rating and comment on the positioning of ads. Most devs are very responsive to comments.

2. Use their competitor which would make them try to make theirs better.

3. define "malicious" ads. Most of the ads are from Google's Adsense anyway, so Google should have checked with them already.

Upvote 0

You bought a phone but what do you think that gives you as far as some supposed right is concerned? Clarify kindly. You spent money in the marketplace, but for what? Are you saying the app you paid for still contains advertising?

Remember, those ads often pay for the applications.

Upvote 0
Most of the software, apps and games available in Android Market is ridiculously inexpensive: 99 cents, a dollar or two. Some of it is higher, just shop. ;)

Devs do work to make these apps, offering them free for trial or just plain free always amazes me. The ads in some free apps sometimes seem annoying (the scrolling ones, blinking etc), so I go ahead and upgrade to the paid version if I like the app/game that much.

I had the need to look at a very special theme file for a JB iPad. I was amazed at just how much work goes into the graphics; every part of iOS was changed and there are hundreds of images that needed to be created.

Not to mention, how much money the dev does not make due to piracy.

I have never thought a few dollars for an app or theme was unreasonable. Frankly, I am amazed that anyone would complain about a few dollars here or there. I think many people are use to free stuff and when a dev charges a dollar, well, how dare that bustardo.

I doubt most people here would work for free, either.

My view is if people do not want the ads, avoid the app. If they think an app is too expensive, avoid buying it.

And Frisco, you said something I have always wanted to write about. The vast amount of free stuff on the web and the motivation behind it. Is it ego or perhaps the creator feels it might be a way to earn a few extra doubloons here and there.

I am amazed at just how much stuff that takes great amounts of effort to create is offered for free. Or a dollar or so.

I am constantly amazed at how much work goes into something like an application or theme. I do not begrudge the developer for occasionally charging us freeloaders for their hard work.

Upvote 0
I do not care to pay the small price they are asking for the software. What concerns me is giving my credit card number to "who knows" on the other end of the line. I hardly ever buy anything on line without going through PAYPAL and so far I have not found this option.

Fair enough. If you do not want to pay, that settles that. Do not pay. Just be happy that so many developers offer their hard work for free.

As for CC issues, it is good not to automatically trust people. Evil things can happen; most likely, evil things are rare compared to the whole. Another thread, perhaps.

Upvote 0
And Frisco, you said something I have always wanted to write about. The vast amount of free stuff on the web and the motivation behind it. Is it ego or perhaps the creator feels it might be a way to earn a few extra doubloons here and there.

I am amazed at just how much stuff that takes great amounts of effort to create is offered for free. Or a dollar or so.

I am constantly amazed at how much work goes into something like an application or theme. I do not begrudge the developer for occasionally charging us freeloaders for their hard work.

I first encountered the virtual ocean of free software when experimenting with Linux, way back in the Windows 95 days, when RedHat was about it, then quickly became one of dozens of free operating systems for your computer. The big bucks for Windows was not the only alternative.

I discovered DistroWatch, and became an avid tester for every beta I could fit on my hard drive, and even began purchasing spare hard drives so I could get more; what a cornucopia of free stuff.

What you're saying/asking about "why do they do it" was answered for me every time I heard about another Microsoft law suit or strange, dark maneuver in the market place to get SuSe or RedHat off the Best Buy shelves.

I don't know exactly why most Android app devs have free stuff out there, but asking them individually around here might be an interesting thread.

Upvote 0
I first encountered the virtual ocean of free software when experimenting with Linux, way back in the Windows 95 days, when RedHat was about it, then quickly became one of dozens of free operating systems for your computer. The big bucks for Windows was not the only alternative.

I discovered DistroWatch, and became an avid tester for every beta I could fit on my hard drive, and even began purchasing spare hard drives so I could get more; what a cornucopia of free stuff.

What you're saying/asking about "why do they do it" was answered for me every time I heard about another Microsoft law suit or strange, dark maneuver in the market place to get SuSe or RedHat off the Best Buy shelves.

I don't know exactly why most Android app devs have free stuff out there, but asking them individually around here might be an interesting thread.

I find this interesting as I also delved into Linux in the Windows 95 days when I was younger and more idealistic. I tried all the free OSes back then and spent all night downloading BeOS over a 56K modem. I remember it being like a 60 mb file and it taking 8-9 hours to download.

I found that with free OSes you often get what you pay for. I found all of them to be sucky and ran back into the hands of Windows. That's another thread though.

I've often wondered myself exactly why devs give their work away free. I've got one app on my phone that I would willingly pay for, but there's no pay version on the market. Does the dev leave his program as ad only because he makes more money that way? I have no idea.

Upvote 0
yeah.. i have read in a few articles...

that apps supported by ads make more money in the long run.
it is a source of income every month...
paid apps are a one time revenue...

if a dev is continuing to develop the same app and add new features; improve features; fix bugs... a continued source of income would help motivate the developer.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones