1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[How to]: Getting the most out of the Galaxy Nexus camera (post your tips too!)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alostpacket, Dec 29, 2011.

1. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

So while there have been strong opinions about the Galaxy Nexus camera, one thing I think we can all agree on is that we'd all like to get the most out of it.

In that spirit, I'm starting a tips thread to put together some basic photography tips as well as tips for the Galaxy Nexus camera in particular.

There will also be a showcase post to show some of what is possible.

Please chime in with any tips or suggestions -- I am no expert on photography! (at best I'm a very bad amateur!)

Also, if a tip is a quote from another user, please click the little arrow next to their name and thank the post where they said it! They deserve the thanks, not I :)

--------------------------------------

Lifehacker articles on Photography

17 articles in total, while many deal with DSLRs, a lot are general in nature and they have some good Photoshop ones too.

>> Most Popular Photography Tips, Tricks, and Hacks of 2011

tuts+ photography

A pretty good resource for beginners with most tutorials by the community, and some pro stuff. Most are free but they ask you to sign up for access to extra learning materials (like the PSD of the image). Some hilarious tutorials like "A complete guide on how to photograph the Queen"

>> Photography and post-processing tutorials from beginner to advanced | Phototuts+

dpreview
    A popular site for Pro and high-end photo gear reviews, but they have a pretty great selection of articles and tutorials also.

>> http://www.dpreview.com/articles

Life.com
    10 Holiday Photo taking tips
    http://www.life.com/gallery/67531/image/ugc1387861/holiday-photo-tips-connect-to-your-world

Trick to stabilize images

This video is for DSLRs but the principle applies to all cameras

>> youtube.com

Instant pic taking & quality

Digital Zoom

Stabilization, lighting, and focus

Stabilization, lighting, and focus
    Auto-focus

Auto-focus via long-press
    Auto-focus via screen tap

Alternative camera apps
    Balance and composition
    (more to come)

Some threads already discussing the camera on AF:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/467590-camera-takes-terrible-pics.html
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/472938-camera-update.html
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...sfrom-today-galaxy-nexus-rezound-cameras.html
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/459421-official-camera-pictures-thread.html

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. alostpacket

(work in progress reserved)

3. alostpacket

(also reserved)

4. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

People take pictures, not cameras.

There are pros and there are people that have only used a horrible iphone camera. In other words, having some basic knowledge about photography is a good thing. On the other side of things... turning off flash in a pitch black setting is not advised. :D:D

Wait, maybe that's about people and guns, where people kill, not guns, lol.

gapi likes this.
  5. wedgemoose

wedgemoose Android Enthusiast

I've watched and read but still over my head. Is there a certain or a few setting we should change on the Gnex camera? I never have any luck trying it myself. always go back to default. but i may be dadjusting the wrong thing?

6. Mr. Link

Mr. Link Android Enthusiast

I can't take credit for this...but several people have recommended using third-party apps like Vignette. I personally was playing with Camera Zoom Fx (one of the 10 cent apps recently) and it has an image stabilization feature it shows you on the screen using the acelerometer (sorry for the spelling). Anyway FWIW, both Vignette and Camera Zoom seemed to do a little better than the stock camera app in lower lighting settings.

alostpacket likes this.
  7. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

I mentioned that in another thread. CZFX does seem a little clearer, but nobody would try the suggestion.

alostpacket and Mr. Link like this.
  8. sourmilk

sourmilk Member

one thing you should avoid is quickly tapping the shutter. this causes camera shake and your photos will come out blurry/soft. also quickly tapping the shutter doesn't give the camera enough time to focus.
    instead, you should "hold down" the shutter till the image is in focus then slowly release it to take the picture just like on a real camera.
    also, the only time you really need to touch the screen to focus is if you want to focus on somewhere in the image other than dead center. there's no need to touch the image to focus since touching the shutter also trigger auto-focus, but you need to hold down the shutter long enough to let the camera focus. this is especially important in low light situations since it takes longer for the camera to focus.
    seems like most of the complaints about the camera i've been reading about are related to soft or out of focus pics caused by camera shake or not being in focus. i'm guessing this is mostly due to people just quickly tapping the shutter, which shakes the phone.
    tbh, i don't really see the benefit of the instant shutter in ICS the way it's implemented currently. if instead you could tap the image to both focus and take the pic, like on the olympus pen cameras, then it could be useful.
    the main reason i think people are seeing better results with other camera phones is that other phones don't take the picture until focus is locked, which is why you get the delay after pressing the shutter.
    on the gnex, the camera takes the pic regardless of focus lock. it's an odd choice google made in implementing the camera this way:/

9. ndwgolf

ndwgolf Well-Known Member

Thank you Thank you thank you, I just took 1/2 a dozen pictures that way and bingo perfect pictures........thanks man:D

alostpacket likes this.
  10. evrafter

evrafter Newbie

Holy crap, sourmilk!!! You were DEAD...ON!!! Just did exactly as you counseled, holding down the shutter button! Bam!! Just took a random pic of my "old man" sitten on the couch. Just as I took the pic, he moved his arm. But by holding down the botton rather than tapping, everything was perfectly in focus accept for the arm caught in movement. Looks cool. P.S...shot indoors, no lights on, just light coming in from the window. There needs to be a thread dedicated to telling peeps to just hold down the shutter button, if there isnt already. I was like most...tapping not holding.

alostpacket likes this.
  11. Mr. Link

Mr. Link Android Enthusiast

You know, I never even thought of this and it truly is WAAAAAAY better!!!! Kudos to you!

Also, just as an FYI to people...when you are reviewing the pictures you just took. Give it a second to "refocus" the picture. I'm not sure why it does that, but scrolling through pictures that have been taken...it will temporarily come up a bit fuzzy and then clear itself up. Don't be fooled into thinking your picture was actually fuzzy because of this "feature".

alostpacket likes this.
  12. fam

fam Android Enthusiast

13. alostpacket

thanked this because i could only thank your tips once :p

Also thanks @everyone, really great tips going around -- I added a bunch today from you guys :)

14. Aabye

Aabye Well-Known Member

I hope this is the appropriate place to ask this question...

Is there a timer feature on the GN camera? You know, like you want to take a picture with your whole family, yourself included, and you push the button, and then run in the hope of getting in picture in time?

15. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

I'm not seeing this in the camera settings... however...

You can flip to video mode and it can do time lapse... set it to say 10 seconds or so, and it will capture a picture. Not sure if it will do a flash or not either, but the flash can stay on during video, that is an option.

I see what you are getting at... setup the phone. Tap the timer in camera mode, run into the frame, smile.... <<snap>>.

Aabye likes this.
  16. Aabye

Aabye Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I tried the video thing, and it will work to some extent. The problem, of course, is that you have a video file instead of a jpg... I'm going to work on finding an easy conversion solution.

17. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

Oh wait... I have another camera app installed... please hold....

18. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

I bought Camera Zoom FX when it was on the google apps sale for ten cents.

That has a countdown timer! Yay for aftermarket apps, lol.

Aabye likes this.
  19. evrafter

evrafter Newbie

Possible solution: if u have a pc, dowload the free app Formatfactory. Upload pic from gnex. Slide pic into format factory, and see if it will give you the option to convert to jpeg. Its a great program. Just not sure if it converts from a video file to jpeg.

20. mistermojorizi

mistermojorizi Android Enthusiast

get the hdr camera from the market. turn off flash. set colors to natural or realistic, whatever it's called. great pics every time (it takes care of stabilization and optimal exposure for you)...huge improvement on indoor pics especially. outside pics are already decent on gnex.

alostpacket likes this.
  21. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

Just a tone mapping trick (HDR)? Since nobody can view HDR pictures on most monitors.

Worth a try though since they have a free version: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.almalence.hdr

alostpacket likes this.
  22. brandonhutch

brandonhutch Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how to turn off the shutter "click" and auto-focus "beep"? I take quite a few shots on the golf course and this is a deal-breaker. I took a few today of my buddies but after a couple they all wanted to kill me because of the shutter and focus sounds. Looked in all the settings that I could think of but found nothing. Anyone?

23. Helicrewchief

Helicrewchief Well-Known Member

When you are in the stock camera just turn the volume down via the rocker.

brandonhutch likes this.
  24. brandonhutch

brandonhutch Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was taking some shots on the golf course today and I was in vibrate mode, so you'd think it would act the same way but apparently not.

25. Helicrewchief

Helicrewchief Well-Known Member

You would think. It is your media volume though. When you view a video or play music you will have to turn it back up. I actually found it by mistake at a wedding on Saturday. Came in handy though. Glad I could help.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews