• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to go to the next line when texting with an andriod phone

How to go to the next line when texting with an android phone

On the I-phone, it's no problem. But with an android phone, using it's default keyboard, the solution to getting the "left arrow key to appear", is to press the "Up" arrow key (that changes the keyboard from lower case to upper case). You will then see the "Simley Face" key switch to the "Left Arrow Key".

And by pressing the "Left Arrow Key", the typing cursor will move to the next typing line.

It's not something that's fixed in Android, I always have a return key visible. But I have seen an option to set things this way (though my current phone doesn't seem to have it), so guess LG have "helpfully" set it like that.

Check your keyboard settings for anything that says to always show the emoji key and turn this off if you find it. If you can't see anything there try your message app's settings.

If you use an emoji key more often than return then you could try a long press (press and hold) on it and see whether that makes it act as return. Long-pressing in Android is like a right click on a computer mouse, and often brings up options (in many parts of the user interface, not just the keyboard).

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
The default keyboard is different for every brand. Samsung's TouchWiz keyboard is different from the default keyboard on a Motorola (I think they use Google Keyboard).

I just checked, and on it, as well as on Swiftkey, the return/enter key is always present to do what you want. Long press for smileys.

So just install a different keyboard if the default can't do it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones