1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to handle the 4G upgrade and data plan

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gamul1, Feb 22, 2011.

1. gamul1

gamul1 Android Enthusiast

Not sure if this specific question is addressed already but here goes.

*IF* you buy the 3G tablet and do a 2 year data plan, what happens when it is eligible for the free 4G upgrade? Here are some possibilities I can come up with:

1. You get the new 4G hardware and you are now required to use their 4G data plan which will be more expensive. They will tell you if you do not agree to the new rates, do not upgrade the tablet.

2. You choose not to upgrade to 4G and stay with the 3G plan instead. Moto offers the free hardware upgrade, but its only free if you upgrade within the first 6 months. After that, you have to pay for it.

3. You get the free hw upgrade but can still use the 3G network at the lower cost, leaving your option open for the future.

4. You get the free hw upgrade and Verizon honors the 3G price but on the 4G network for the remainder of your plan.

What do you think will happen? Am I missing an option?

Advertisement

2. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert

I'm curious to see VZW's initial contract in regards to the Xoom if we can find some kind of clause that protects them from people getting out of their 3g data plan when they do not want to upgrade to the 4G plan but want to get the 4g hardware upgrade.

I think some kind of proration of rates will be applied when switching from 3G to 4g, which would make your scenario 4 the most likely scenario.

3. zetroc

zetroc Android Enthusiast

So are we sure this is gonna be a hardware upgrade and not just software? The WireFly video shows the SIM slot. Motorola has made no statement on this which is very annoying.

I made the statement in another thread that it would be a hardware update not software, and I was corrected by another user that it would be software, so Idk what to think. Anyone know anything official on this front?

4. parrotheadmjb

parrotheadmjb Member

I guess we'll find out on Thursday when we go to VerizonWireless.com/Xoom4GLTEUpgrade

marctronixx likes this.
  5. Don S

Don S Android Enthusiast

As far as I know, VZW's current 3G and 4G data prices are the same currently, (USB data sticks, upcoming 4G Thunderbolt, etc) right? If true I would imagine #4 applies above ..

6. gobluejd

gobluejd GOBLUE!