• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to have VPN but no password

I hate this so much :mad::mad:

In order to enable VPN, you must put a screen pattern or pin code. I tried to live with this, I put the lock time to 30 mins yet I hate it everytime I pickup my phone every now and then I have to put a pin! How can I have VPN with NO password on my phone?

On my previous Galaxy S3 I had the same crap as well!

I hate iPhone really but it doesn't have this bullshit that Android tries to force users with!

It is a security feature.
(probably the first instance that I've seen where a user is complaining about Android being restrictive compared to iPhone! lol!)

I don't know if this will work - but a google search found this article
John R. Bussiculo − Disable the android lock screen password or pin with VPN enabled

To Remove a password lock screen with VPN/Stored Credentials on Android

1. Set up your VPN
  2. Add pattern unlock screen password protection
  3. Lock the phone and swipe the wrong password 3-5 times
  4. Tap

Reactions: Matrix Leader
Upvote 0
Reactions: jj14x
Upvote 0
I got this working for me after much searching, problem is my theme still doesn't work on my device with the VPN set up. I feel like this was a major design flaw in Sony not providing theme's that work with a VPN.

If anyone has a solution to get the theme going after usin this workaround that'd be appreciated. My phone's not rooted so I can't take advantage of all the apps and other solutions for rooted devices

Upvote 0
The phone when pressed the power button or left to sleep, will go black, but when i press power button again it goes straight to the homescreen, no theme. I'm someone who loves the updates on the theme swipe screen and the music and camera controls. But this workaround seems to disable the screen altogether

Upvote 0
Nevermind, just make sure the device is setup with the theme (and set to swipe) first, Which is how I like it. Then do the steps provided by shmn. Enter pin or whatever wrong 5/10 times, enter security answer or sign into google, then VERY important set NO when it asks you for a new pin/w.e. After this if you check in security it should say it's using ths wipe lock, and when you press the power button to turn the screen off then back on again. Voila it should show the theme.

Thanks people

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones