1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support How to have VPN but no password

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Matrix Leader, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Lifestyle Manager
    Dubai, UAE
    I hate this so much :mad::mad:

In order to enable VPN, you must put a screen pattern or pin code. I tried to live with this, I put the lock time to 30 mins yet I hate it everytime I pickup my phone every now and then I have to put a pin! How can I have VPN with NO password on my phone?

On my previous Galaxy S3 I had the same crap as well!

I hate iPhone really but it doesn't have this bullshit that Android tries to force users with!

Advertisement

2. jj14x

jj14x Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    It is a security feature.
    (probably the first instance that I've seen where a user is complaining about Android being restrictive compared to iPhone! lol!)

I don't know if this will work - but a google search found this article
    John R. Bussiculo − Disable the android lock screen password or pin with VPN enabled

Matrix Leader likes this.
  3. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Lifestyle Manager
    Dubai, UAE
    nope, doesn't work. after I enter my PIN incorrectly 5 times, it just tells me I can retry to enter the PIN after 30 seconds :(

jj14x likes this.
  4. JohnRBussiculo

JohnRBussiculo New Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Male
    IT
    Looks like this hack only works for the HTC One :-(

5. shmn

shmn Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Marine Diesel Mech
    WA State
    jj14x likes this.
  6. James Fowler

James Fowler New Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Male
    I got this working for me after much searching, problem is my theme still doesn't work on my device with the VPN set up. I feel like this was a major design flaw in Sony not providing theme's that work with a VPN.

If anyone has a solution to get the theme going after usin this workaround that'd be appreciated. My phone's not rooted so I can't take advantage of all the apps and other solutions for rooted devices

7. James Fowler

James Fowler New Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Male
    The phone when pressed the power button or left to sleep, will go black, but when i press power button again it goes straight to the homescreen, no theme. I'm someone who loves the updates on the theme swipe screen and the music and camera controls. But this workaround seems to disable the screen altogether

8. James Fowler

James Fowler New Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Male
    Nevermind, just make sure the device is setup with the theme (and set to swipe) first, Which is how I like it. Then do the steps provided by shmn. Enter pin or whatever wrong 5/10 times, enter security answer or sign into google, then VERY important set NO when it asks you for a new pin/w.e. After this if you check in security it should say it's using ths wipe lock, and when you press the power button to turn the screen off then back on again. Voila it should show the theme.

Thanks people

9. James Fowler

James Fowler New Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Male
    Seems like the fix only works till the phone gets restarted, then it asks for a credential storage (which doesn't exist), at which point it either locks you out of vpn or you fail the pass 5 times and then the vpn details disappear. Happy for those that got the fix working though

10. peterh337

peterh337 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Male
    VPNroot worked for me - Samsung 8.4" T705 tablet, 5.0.2.

It's a simple app which allows you to set up a PPTP VPN. It hopefully also edits that XML file which, deep down, has a setting which enables any VPN to be used without the screen lock.

11. markhascole

markhascole Member

Friday
    I know this is the very old thread but searching of VPN will never end that's why I decided to give the answer of this thread.
    Buddy, my suggestion is that reset ayour phone if you want VPN without any password you can use Free VPN-like tunnel bear, cyber ghost etc but using a free VPN is pretty risky so for complete protection checkout the list of best VPN services in 2017.

12. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I am using PureVPN and it works on my PCs, and my Note 4, and my Samsung S5 without requiring me to enter a password every time.

It ask for your registration info when you set it up, but that is the last time I have ever been asked for it.