• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to I change to a new primary account?

rathje40

Lurker
Jun 4, 2022
Google killed my account. I created a new one and added it to the phone, but everything wants to use the old account and won't let me change it. Removing the old account will remove all my messages and other data. How do I promote the new account without losing everything?

One of the things I can't use is the Play Store to download new apps.

Possibly because SMS Backup+ backs up to your GMail account, which you say Google has "killed" (though I'm not sure precisely what you mean by that, or why they did this).

There are other SMS backup apps that create a local backup rather than backing it up to an Google account (e.g. the venerable SMS Backup & Restore). Of course if you are worried that removing the primary account will wipe everything then you should copy a local backup to another device before doing removing it.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones