• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to I upgrade to larger MicroSD card when there is stuff on old card?

langba

Lurker
Nov 1, 2010
(Please forgive me for something that *must* have been asked before but I can't find it. And yes, I tend to over complicate things.)

I have a one week old Incredible, Model ADR6300, Froyo 2.2, Verizon Wireless. My first smart phone. It came with a 2GB MicroSD card. I just received my 8GB card and would like to install it. There isn't much on the old card, but still.

I couldn't see exactly what was on the card until I installed Astro 2.5.2. Then, I saw that there was actually more on the card than I thought.

I went to Settings > SD & phone storage > Unmount SD card (/mnt/sdcard folder)

That unmount was instantaneous. Checking the rest of the phone (including /mnt/emmc) did not indicate the files had actually been backed up anywhere.

So I thought I would save the contents of the old card to my laptop, then write to the new card, mount the new card and the phone wouldn't know the difference. But my laptop is Windows 7 and thought that might not be the best thing. So I installed a dual boot Ubuntu using Wubi.

In Ubuntu, I copied the old card to the new card, put the new card in the phone and attempted to mount, but it wanted to format.

That's the TL;DR.

So, how do I actually upgrade to a newer/larger MicroSD card? Many, many thanks.

(edit: was thinking about my other laptop...this is actually Vista SP3...which is better than Windows 7 at this time...let the flame wars begin...jk)

I read this article: HOW TO: Transfer MicroSD Card Contents (including Apps2ext)

I read and understood most of it, yet there may something I am missing with the EXT folder.

In Windows, the phone connects, mounted as a disk drive, using the next three available drive letters E: F: and G: Why 3?

Under alternate methods, it says just use Linux. Therefore, my reason for trying this in Ubuntu.

Still, no matter what I try, the card is good in Windows and Ubuntu, not the phone. The card is a PNY 8GB MicroSD HC Card, UPC 7 51492 41372 3.

I will be logging out now and will check all (any) replies tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Connect the phone with the old card still installed with USB debugging enabled and in disk drive mode. The card should show up as a drive. Using Windows, create a temporary folder on the desktop. "Select All" contents of the SD card and cut, then paste all to said temporary desktop folder.

Turn off phone, remove old card and install new card. Power up phone, use the built in formatting option. Then once again connect as disk drive. Select all contents from within the temporary folder on the PC desktop and paste them onto the new SD card.

Reactions: rbarcher
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones