• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [HOW-TO] ICS Stock Root and S3 Candy!

Talderon

Android Expert
Feb 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO YOUR PHONE! This is purely informational. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

The Info:

• This is an accompaniment guide for other root guides.
  • This will not go through custom ROM flashing and all that.
  • This is how to ROOT the STOCK Official ICS release.
  • This ROOT method will NOT WIPE your current user data (in other words, no re-installing of all apps and whatnot).
  • This method WILL trip your flash counter.
  • This will not help you if you don't follow the instructions.
  • This will not solve world peace.

The Goods:

You will need to download the following files. Please note that this is on my personal host and if there is abuse of the downloads, I will remove them and use some other source that won't be as nice. :smokingsomb:

Odin v1.85 (200KB)
Superuser-3.0.7 (signed)(625KB)
ClockworkMod Recovery File 1 (10MB)
ClockworkMod Recovery File 2 (6.4MB)

I am assuming you have the Galaxy Note USB drivers installed. If not, then download and install Kies from Samsung or Google the drivers.

The process:

1. Unzip the Odin zip file into a folder on your computer.
  2. Copy the Superuser zip file onto your external SD Card (does not matter where)
  3. Turn OFF your phone and unplug USB
  4. Turn your phone ON while holding the Volume DOWN button (this will put you in download mode). You may have to press volume up on the warning screen to actually enter download mode.
  5. Plug the USB back in. Let the drivers install fully before you do anything else.
  6. Launch Odin.
  7. Make sure the ONLY boxes that are checked are Auto-Reboot and PDA.
  8. Click on the PDA button and locate the CWM .tar.md5 file you downloaded above (file 1)
  9. Click Start and watch it go!

Ok, now that you have that done, you are really still NOT rooted, this just installed the ClockWorkMod RECOVERY.

Now, to boot into recovery, it can be a little tricky, so here is what I do that works every time for me.

1. Power off your phone.
  2. Hold volume UP + DOWN + POWER
  3. Once you get the first vibrate, release POWER + VOLUME DOWN, so the ONLY button you should be holding is VOLUME UP
  4. This is a touch based Recovery, so touch the screen to navigate to where you put the Superuser zip file and flash it.
  5. NOTICE: It may fail, but just keep flashing until it passes. THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE and there is no fix yet!
  6. Reboot once successful.

If you want an easier way to get into recovery and do things in there, try HERE.

There you have it... Rooted, Stock and no data lost!!!

You can now download Titanium Backup and uninstall bloatware or freeze it or whatever! :D

07/12/2012----------------------------------------------

I decided to add some S3 Candy Goodness!! Now, I did NOT do these ports myself, they belong to the fabulous people at XDA, however, I will put them all here in one place for you to enjoy.

Info:

With this method, you will NOT be losing ANY of the STOCK Launcher or Widget files. You can switch between them without issues.

The Goods:

You will need to download the following files. Please note that this is on my personal host and if there is abuse of the downloads, I will remove them and use some other source that won't be as nice. :smokingsomb:

These are ZIP files that you flash in CWM Recovery (or whatever custom reovery you happen to have)

TouchWiz 5 Launcher 5x6 (16.9MB)
SVoice(80.4MB)

1. Download files
  2. Place on External SD (you can put on Internal, but I like External)
  3. Reboot into recovery (see instructions above)
  4. Flash the TW Launcher Zip
  5. Flash the SVoice Zip
  6. Reboot phone and Enjoy!

Couple of things to note about TW:

1. Wallpapers are a mess on this one, not sure why
  2. Download and Install QuickPic from the Market
  3. Lunch QuickPic and select an image to make your Homescreen Wallpaper
  4. Set As QuickPic Wallpaper
  5. Return to Homescreen
  6. Enjoy SCROLLING WALLPAPERS!!! :D
  7. You can also hide apps in the app drawer! Just click Menu when in app drawer, scroll to the bottom of the menu list and the option is there. You can also show hidden apps and unhide them.

Thanks all!! :D

Hey, my husband and i both have the Note, and when he did this in his, it worked, but when he did it on mine, it kept saying something to the effect of "cannot open com port serial bus." (I didn't sere the exact message, he told me after the fact). What does this mean? Anyone know?

At what stage did you get this message?

If this was in ODIN, what you need to do is close Odin, UNPLUG your USB, enter Download Mode, Plug in USB, wait for Windows to get itself sorted out, Start Odin and see if that helps.

Thanks!

Reactions: datNYchik
Upvote 0
Also when you go to open Odin. instead of double clicking it, right click it and select "run as administrator", this made a different when I had issues flashing my captivate.

+1 and to add to that, if you don't have that option when you right click, then SHIFT+Right Click and you should see the Run As Administrator option.

Upvote 0
I think all this does is trip your flash counter. It will NOT boot into recovery and I have used odin twice to flash the tar file.

Edit: I think I got it, but kinda bent out of shape that I had to use odin 3 times to push the tar file. Wonder if there is a way to reset that flash counter.

Yeah, the bus a way to reset it. I'll get you the link when I get home.

Even with it reset, they can tell you flashed something. Regardless, I have yet to hear of anyone getting turned down for warranty because of it.

Does not mean it could happen.

Reactions: ajdroidx
Upvote 0
[RECOVERY] TWRP2.2.1.1 TeamWin Recovery Project 7/17 Bugfixes - xda-developers

Been a LONG time CWM supporter, but everyone is buzzing about this TWRP2 recovery.

I just flashed it and it's REALLY nice. I have been playing with backups and restores and all that. Works like a charm and is a LOT nicer interface than even the CWM Touch.

Just reboot to recovery and flash this new recovery. Done. :)

Keep in mind any backups you created with CWM are NOT compatible with this recovery, so make a new one!

Upvote 0
[RECOVERY] TWRP2.2.1.1 TeamWin Recovery Project 7/17 Bugfixes - xda-developers

Been a LONG time CWM supporter, but everyone is buzzing about this TWRP2 recovery.

I just flashed it and it's REALLY nice. I have been playing with backups and restores and all that. Works like a charm and is a LOT nicer interface than even the CWM Touch.

Just reboot to recovery and flash this new recovery. Done. :)

Keep in mind any backups you created with CWM are NOT compatible with this recovery, so make a new one!
Is this an automatic recovery on reboot, or do you have to specially enter it? I don't want to put something on my wife's phine that she'll have to hit an extra button every time she reboots.

Upvote 0
Is this an automatic recovery on reboot, or do you have to specially enter it? I don't want to put something on my wife's phine that she'll have to hit an extra button every time she reboots.
\
by now youve probably figured it out but you need to press the button combo (vol up + vol down + power) to boot into CWM.

Reactions: pm1066
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones