• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HOW TO: Install 2.1 and Root (for dummy's)

So just to make sure I'm getting this right, I apply the .zip file from SD root with the .tar in the same spot right?
Follow the instructions for the first post. Make sure you have Joey's recovery (it will say 2.1.3, make sure you see that). I put the directions below, I modified the underlined section to be exactly what is in the recovery console.
From the first post:
"
- d. Reboot into recovery - Turn Phone off. Then hold down: vol down + talk + end until the Recovery UI appears.

- e. Select "Apply Update .zip from SD"

- f. Select Android2.1-DD10-SDX-update.zip

- g. Apply and Reboot (be patient, it will take a while)

- h. (Optional, but do this if you want root) - Performing the DD10 update will undo your Root. You need to follow the "3. Install Root v5" section above."

Upvote 0
I got a quick question. We have a small business and I have a new in box moment that I pulled out to practice the install on first before I did any of the 4 phones here in the office. I haven't even upgraded it to the CL14 yet. I did my phone to CL14 no problem back in february. Now on this one it isn't getting past the first stage and quickly says disconnected in the bottom right hand corner of the updater.

Is this because the phone doesn't have a number associated to it and isn't set up yet? Or am I just doing something wrong. I deleted the drivers (my only issue first time around).

Upvote 0
I got a quick question. We have a small business and I have a new in box moment that I pulled out to practice the install on first before I did any of the 4 phones here in the office. I haven't even upgraded it to the CL14 yet. I did my phone to CL14 no problem back in february. Now on this one it isn't getting past the first stage and quickly says disconnected in the bottom right hand corner of the updater.

Is this because the phone doesn't have a number associated to it and isn't set up yet? Or am I just doing something wrong. I deleted the drivers (my only issue first time around).

Are you trying to go from CL14 to DD03?

Upvote 0
I'm just putting CL14 on to the phone to start off with. Then going to DD03. Should I skip CL14 all together and go straight to DD03? I was just curious if I should hang up the hat or keep trying to trouble shoot since this gave me trouble right off the bat.

edit: the found new hardware screen is coming up when I plug in (first step) which I didn't remember, but that was february the last time I did this.

Upvote 0
I'm just putting CL14 on to the phone to start off with. Then going to DD03. Should I skip CL14 all together and go straight to DD03? I was just curious if I should hang up the hat or keep trying to trouble shoot since this gave me trouble right off the bat.

Not sure about the being activated part. I can tell you that going to 2.1 was very easy for me. Being that you have a back up phone, I would update your active phone and go from there. I would use the file called "SPH-M900_MR2_DD03_REL-joeykrim-recovery-2.1.3.tar" which should be about 158,376kb in size (then go to DD10). I'm certainly happy I did this, I like my phone so much better now.

Upvote 0
- e. Select Apply Update .zip from Menu

- f. Select Android2.1-DD10-SDX-update.zip

- g. Apply and Reboot (be patient, it will take a while)

This tutorial is great, but I'm stuck on this step for some reason. I can reboot into the recovery console, I click on "Apply zip from SD", then click on "Andoid2.1-DD10-SDX-update.zip", hit Home button to confirm, it says, "Finding... opening... verifying...installing... copying... Install from sdcard complete." Then I click on "Reboot system now" and my phone reboots, but it just reboots like normal and when it's up and running I look at my phone info and it says it's Build number "ECLAIR.DD03" and Baseband version "S:M900.8.OS.DD03"

Any help on what I'm missing here to get this update to actually apply? Thanks a million in advance!

EDIT: Ok, so I pulled my SD card out and reloaded the two files (redownloaded and replaced them ) and now it's taking forever to Copy the files in the updater, so I think it's working... I may hav solved my own problem.

EDIT2: Yep, ECLAIR.DD10 now installed

One last question though. I'm rooted... I think, how do I know for sure? :-D

Upvote 0
HELP! I tried the first time and it didnt go through. I unplugged my phone from the usb, tried to turn it back on and its giving me the XDS developers thing

beneath that theres a phone with an exclamation mark and then a computer...my computer is not recognizing my phone anymore!

Pull the battery and turn it on again.

If that doesn't work then just start over. You have not hurt your phone, you probably need to re-flash the ROM.

Reactions: ccj804
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hey guys, I'm a long time troller of this site, first time poster and all I can say is Ramiss and everyone else on here.....you guys are awesome. I was able to flash my phone to 2.1 without any type of problems thanks to the phenomenal write up and step by step provided in this thread.

Thank you all so much!!!!

Upvote 0
Same here! I've been running 2.1 DD03 for several weeks now and THANK YOU to everyone who made this possible. DD03 isn't perfect (I didn't expect it to be) but it is an incredible upgrade from CL14. CL14 was so buggy that I don't think Sprint should have ever released it.

After Sprint's announced delay yesterday for the official 2.1, I can't recommend to anyone that they wait. Things are getting ugly over at the Sprint forums.

Upvote 0
Same here! I've been running 2.1 DD03 for several weeks now and THANK YOU to everyone who made this possible. DD03 isn't perfect (I didn't expect it to be) but it is an incredible upgrade from CL14. CL14 was so buggy that I don't think Sprint should have ever released it.

After Sprint's announced delay yesterday for the official 2.1, I can't recommend to anyone that they wait. Things are getting ugly over at the Sprint forums.

Yep after the tweet yesterday about another delay, I decided it's time to root.

Thank you very much for this guide. It's idiot proof. Only hiccup was that the first time I tried the Sprint updater it froze and didn't update. Just reran it and everything was perfect after it. Running DD10. This was EXTREMELY easy. No reason not to do it. Phone is so much snappier.

Upvote 0
But that says for those that have DD03 running and I almost positive my phone said DD10, can I apply this if it does say DD10?

Umm, did you read the post in the link? :rolleyes:

USER AFFECTED: users that have build number of ECLAIR.DD03 IN THE ABOUT PHONE WHEN RUNNING A DD10 SYSTEM

DD10 systems will still have a Build number of DD03.

Upvote 0
Anyone having issues with the live wallpaper called fireworks suddenly being killed? (Thus making my wallpaper now that jaguar stock wallpaper)

I'm not sure why this keeps happening? Is it cpu usage? Is there a solution to stop this from happening? Thanks for any help...

I've tried clearing the cache with "cache cleaner" and I've also cleared the devlic cache and still had issues btw.

Upvote 0
Anyone having issues with the live wallpaper called fireworks suddenly being killed? (Thus making my wallpaper now that jaguar stock wallpaper)

I'm not sure why this keeps happening? Is it cpu usage? Is there a solution to stop this from happening? Thanks for any help...

I've tried clearing the cache with "cache cleaner" and I've also cleared the devlic cache and still had issues btw.

With all due respect, could you please keep this thread solely related to installing the 2.1 ROMs and updates. There are many other threads related to wallpapers.

Thanks for your understanding! ;)

Upvote 0
Interesting issue. Following directions to the T..... I have run into an issue. All indicators show a successfully installed 2.1 dd03, and then dd10. The Issue starts when I launch the market place app..... it brings up no apps! Android 2.1 dd10 (any of the releases on SDX) isn't very useful without a functioning marketplace. Anyone else run into this? http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/76641-marketplace-gone.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones