• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How-To] Install a Custom Recovery, Install a Custom Kernel or ROM and change Boot Animation

OK, sorry...is it because that was a dumb question or b/c macs are disliked here? I was just asking b/c the instructions say:

"It will install the needed LG drivers for Windows and includes Xionia_cwma custom recovery. "

I don't have windows and I don't know if I can do this process on a mac. that's why i asked...sorry if it was irritating! i'm beyond "newbie," truly! LOL
Nope, completely understandable. I still consider myself a newbie. I googled for the mac driver and came across several people stating that they didn't need a driver on their mac's. Give it a try, just use option 2 instead of option 1. If not, maybe google more than I did and you may find a better answer or someone here may have the diffinative answer to that.

Edit: Did some more digging for you, SuperOneClik won't run on a mac. You may have to use Gingerbreak in order to root your phone. Whyzor has a guide using that method here.

Reactions: sushifor5
Upvote 0
Yes, once your phone is rooted using gingerbreak, according to whyzor's tut, install busybox and Rom Manager and flash the new recovery. Just place the ROM you want and gapps on the sd card (don't put it in any folder). Reboot into recovery, backup, wipe the caches then flash the ROM and gapps as instructed in either tutorial. After you install any custom ROM, you just need the computer (pc or mac) to put the ROM and gapps on the sd card (when your trying out different ROM's or updating installed ROM).

Upvote 0
Thanks, that makes sense. Now, I can root and not install any ROM, right? In that case, would I need to install busybox and Rom manager and flash a recovery?

Also, and this will reveal how computer illiterate i am...you say,
"After you install any custom ROM, you just need the computer (pc or mac) to put the ROM and gapps on the sd card"
I'm not sure how to do that...ugh!

Thanks so much again!

Upvote 0
I never used gingerbreak but once you use it, I do believe you are permanently rooted. Rom Manager is used to flash the recovery. Which is needed to make a backup which I highly suggest doing even if your not going to flash a different ROM.
As for putting the ROM on the sd card. Refer to step 17 in my tutorial. You'll need to do that in order to flash a new ROM. It's just like using a usb jump/pen drive. You stick it in the usb port and you move files to and fro. Same thing here.

My suggestion... Go ahead and use gingerbreak using Whyzor's tut. Do everything as instructed. Flash a ROM (perferably the Backside or Bobzhomes ROM) and take it for a test drive. If you don't like it, you can always restore your phone to the way it was before you flashed the ROM because you'll be making a backup. It will still be rooted and everything.

Reactions: sushifor5
Upvote 0
I'm hoping someone can help me here. First off, I'm a total nuub with android. I've been trying over the past couple of days to root my LG Optimus V which currently has Android 2.2.2 on it. Yesterday, I tried gingerbreak 1.2 several times, but seemingly to no avail. I don't really know what I'm doing though. I hadn't done anything except 'root' and 'unroot' with gingerbreak a few times trying to get it to work.

So, I decided to go ahead with a "manual" root and I came across your how to, which has been much easier to understand than anything else I've read thus far. The problem I'm encountering is in Step 11. When I run "Shell Root" in SuperOneClick, I get the following error:

SuperOneClick v1.6.3.0
Killing ADB Server...

OK

Starting ADB Server...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

OK

Waiting for device...

OK

Pushing psneuter...
915 KB/s (585731 bytes in 0.625s)

OK

chmod psneuter...

OK

Running psneuter...
OK

***IF IT KEEPS LOOPING, TRY DISABLING USB DEBUGGING NOW***

Killing ADB Server...

OK

Starting ADB Server...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

OK

Waiting for device...

OK

Running psneuter...

FAILED

Do you know why this might be happening? Phone has USB debug enabled, drivers have installed on PC successfully, etc.

Upvote 0
You have Android OS version 2.2.2. You were on the right track with the Gingerbreak.apk it some times takes a few(key word meaning 3or4) tries with the 2.2.2 but it will root your phone. Make sure that your not using an sd card that's over 8G. I had to put the stock 2G back in because the .apk is kind of picky sometimes about the sd card. It's the only thing that will allow you to safely root your 2.2.2 phone,you can't damage your phone using it. Hint: Go to this thread it will tell you everything you need to know http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/380801-guide-rooting-without-computer.html . DO NOT FORGET TO INSTALL A RECOVERY AND MAKE A BACKUP OF YOU SYSTEM IN THE RECOVERY.

Reactions: thestover
Upvote 0
You have Android OS version 2.2.2. You were on the right track with the Gingerbreak.apk it some times takes a few(key word meaning 3or4) tries with the 2.2.2 but it will root your phone. Make sure that your not using an sd card that's over 8G. I had to put the stock 2G back in because the .apk is kind of picky sometimes about the sd card. It's the only thing that will allow you to safely root your 2.2.2 phone,you can't damage your phone using it. Hint: Go to this thread it will tell you everything you need to know http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/380801-guide-rooting-without-computer.html . DO NOT FORGET TO INSTALL A RECOVERY AND MAKE A BACKUP OF YOU SYSTEM IN THE RECOVERY.

Thanks AndyOpie150. I've followed the instructions in the guide to rooting without a computer and I don't think I encountered any errors (other than having to unzip and place the root files on the SD card via the computer because androzip would not do it for some reason). How do I know if the root was successful? Also important: how do I know if the backup was successful?

Upvote 0
I was able to go in through the recovery and located the 2 backups that I did. I went ahead with the installation of the gingerbread ROM and the gapps install. Everything seems to be fine. I imported a contacts file that I had exported before the wipe. I didn't backup my apps beforehand which was a whoops. I restored the backup and downloaded Titanium Backup. Which apps should I backup. Does anyone have a link to a tutorial restoring proper apps?

Upvote 0
If you download Titanium Backup (aka TBu), hit the Backup/restore, hit your phones menu button and select Batch. Then under Backup, clik the run button for 'Backup all user apps'. There you will be able to select or deselect the apps to backup. This program is well worth buying!! I'm glad you got your ROM installed and running. :)

Reactions: AryaArgetlam
Upvote 0
quick question..and back story

I have a rooted lg optimus v, using stock rom and have done one backup with Rommanager but am fixing to do a second, I backed up all user apps with Titanium backup and have all drivers for lg installed on my computer because I rooted with superoneclick and android sdk

Do I need any more drivers than I already have?
What steps of the list in the OP do I need to follow?
Also which of the Cynanogen Mod 7's is best to use?
And when you flash the gapps how do you do that? and please be detailed about the gapps because its pretty foreign to me and I can't afford for this to go wrong..I love and can't function or work without my phone.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Upvote 0
quick question..and back story

I have a rooted lg optimus v, using stock rom and have done one backup with Rommanager but am fixing to do a second, I backed up all user apps with Titanium backup and have all drivers for lg installed on my computer because I rooted with superoneclick and android sdk

Do I need any more drivers than I already have?
What steps of the list in the OP do I need to follow?
Also which of the Cynanogen Mod 7's is best to use?
And when you flash the gapps how do you do that? and please be detailed about the gapps because its pretty foreign to me and I can't afford for this to go wrong..I love and can't function or work without my phone.

Thank you for any help you can offer!
1. No, you don't need any more drivers.
2. In my opinion, go with BackSide. BobZhome is a great one too.
3. Since your using Rom Manager, I assume you already flashed the recovery through it. If not, it is safe to do so. Download the ROM and gapps and put both onto your sd card (not in any folder). All this starts at step 16 in my how to. Keep in mind that Rom Manager will install Clockworkmod recovery and my how to is Xionia. The same steps apply. Also, make sure you have a backup in recovery. Go to 'backup and restore' then 'restore'. You should have at least one backup in a date/time format. It's imperative that you have the latest backup in there.

Please read over everything and make sure you understand what to do. The first time you feel like your driving blind, but that's why I wrote this how to to try and hold your hand as much as possible. Any questions before you begin please ask!!! We'll help you as much as possible. :D

Reactions: AryaArgetlam
Upvote 0
THANK YOU! :)

another quick question that you may or may not know the answer to is, my main reason for installing this lovely rom is so I can do this Want Your Android Phone to Look Like Honeycomb for Tablets? Check Out Honeycomb3D!

do you think thats feasible? If not please let me know any suggestions you have for anything that would have the same appearance on my phone or (which is my ultimate goal) a look like THIS https://g0.gstatic.com/android/market/com.pandora.android/ss-480-1-15

again thank you for any help you could offer.

Upvote 0
Edited because my questions keep falling away with research...

I rooted my LG Opt V by following the Guide to Rooting Without a Computer thread.

Couple of days later...

Just installed the BumbleBee ROM. Freed up tons of app space. I had only about 30Mb free before, now I have over 100Mb free with more apps installed! Also, one of my apps had a long process that took 48 seconds ... that same process now runs in 37 secs ... over 20% faster.

I'll probably try a GingerBread ROM when I can get to my bigger sd card.

All in all, everything went well ... thanks to all the helpful people here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones