• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to install a new boot animation WITHOUT root

JMD

Apr 23, 2010
So I'm not quite ready to root yet but wanted to do some more custimization to my phone. I read in another forum about being able to change the boot animation without root. It worked so after reading about some of you all that don't like the sprint 4g boot animation I figured I'd share.

First, you need to install android SDK. Bill did a good guide to installing it: http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-evo-4g/90418-how-install-android-sdk.html.

When I was installing the sdk I had a lot of trouble with installing the driver for the EVO for whatever reason. Eventually this is what worked for me:
dc50 Hideaway: ADB Driver for HTC Evo 4G

Once you get SDK installed find a new boot animation. There are a few here: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-evo-4g/106615-custom-boot-animations.html.

The boot animation should be a zip file named "bootanimation". Put this file in the tools folder of the sdk.

Open up command prompt (Start>Run>type "cmd"). In command prompt you need to get to the sdk tools folder. To do this I typed in "cd C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools" where "User"=you user name. This may be different depending on your version of windows and where you unpacked sdk.

Now from here you can check to make sure your device is connected by typing in "adb devices". If you get a line that says "List of Devices Attached" and then a line with some numbers and letters followed by "device" you are conneceted. If not go back a try reinstalling Android SDK.

Now with the bootanimation.zip file in the tools folder and command prompt pointing to the tools folder type "adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local". Make sure you put the spaces in or it won't work.

Restart your phone and you should see the new boot animation instead of the Sprint 4G one.

Does installing the Android SDK have any other effects to your phone or does it just allow you to make some other adjustments?

The SDK is installed on your computer, not your phone. It has no effect on your phone whatsoever.

It is used to make connections to your phone, and by doing so, you can make changes to your phone. But that's the whole point.

Upvote 0
I'm confused, if you can go through all of this, why aren't you ready to root?

I guess that was somewhat bad wording. It's not that I'm not "ready" I just haven't really found a need yet. If I find something I want to do or an app that I want that requires root I'll do it.

I thought this was kind of cool and after going through various other posts to figure everything out and get it working on my phone I figured if someone else wanted to do it I could put it all in one place so they wouldn't have to go through some of the stuff I did for it to work.

Reactions: ZNA03
Upvote 0
So is there anything else you can do without rooting, like removing sprint tv, nascar, and that other junk I dont want?

Also, what about sound? Can I add an MP3 to the startup?

I haven't tried yet but maybe try this:

How do you push an mp3 file? I get a fail due to read-only file system (not rooted phone).

Nevamind, got it. Needs to be named android_audio.mp3 and go to /data/local

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones