• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HOW TO INSTALL - Froyo 2.2 RUU with the simplest instructions ever - WINDOWS XP ONLY!

Did this method work for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think appbrain is the route I'm going to go to restore my apps. Sync your apps through appbrain, then after you update your phone to 2.2 go back to the market, install appbrain, sign in under your gmail account and they should all be listed there waiting to be downloaded. When you click on an app in appbrain it actually takes you to market.

Question for you, I use swype, will this be on my sd card to restore or will it be lost? I can't live without swype.

I see now, swype is on my sdcard. Hopefully it installs ok.

Upvote 0
With regard to Swype. You have to go back to the Swype website and have them resend you the beta download email. I did it and it worked great. You will need to log into Swype online to send this to your GMail account.
What I found with appbrain is it makes another phone on your list of phones which is OK. Just go to your old phone select all of your apps and add them to your new phone. Once that is done go to the settings tab on the site and select the new DINC as your default.

Reactions: true
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
has anybody else tried it?

there have been 400+ downloads of the RUU, im curious how theyre all working out!

Worked great for me , backed up apps on ASTRO . Downloaded the 8/26 RUU
on my xp netbook , plugged in my phone and flashed. 35 minutes later (after restoring my apps ) I was on my way . The RUU is running great with no problems or bugs , better wi-fi reception . And best of all , no more waiting for the OTA. :)

Upvote 0
I really appreciate all the simple instructions and tips you guys are puttin' out. Even though I'm only half-a-geek, I love to do stuff like this and want to do it...but I really like getting application update notifications from the Market. Is there any way to keep my link to the Market? Even if I have to individually reload the apps--will the Market at least remember me and know what I've paid for?
Thanks again for all the collective wisdom, and special thanks to True!

Upvote 0
I really appreciate all the simple instructions and tips you guys are puttin' out. Even though I'm only half-a-geek, I love to do stuff like this and want to do it...but I really like getting application update notifications from the Market. Is there any way to keep my link to the Market? Even if I have to individually reload the apps--will the Market at least remember me and know what I've paid for?
Thanks again for all the collective wisdom, and special thanks to True!

After you run RUU and the phone reboots, you have to go through the initial setup process just like if it was a new phone. During the installation it will prompt you to either setup a google id or if you have one enter it. Once you enter your current Google ID it will link up with Market just like it did before you upgraded.

Reactions: Nurseferatu
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I finally got tired of waiting for VZ to get off their butts to push this out more, so i went the RUU, and with the instructions on this post from everyone i had Froyo running on my phone in 10 minutes, with NO issues.

Thank you to everyone who posted the instructions and the updates to those instructions.

Installed from an XP machine.

Upvote 0
Ok, anyone else using appbrain? I ran the RUU successfully but after I installed appbrain and sync'd it only shows the installed apps on the phone (when looking at the app on the phone). When looking at the appbrain website from my PC, I see all of my apps under "My Apps".

EDIT: Nevermind. It created another list on my appbrain account for this version of Android. So I just had to copy the apps from the old list to the new one.

Upvote 0
If anyone can offer some help,

I have downloaded the file and it is the correct size. It is on my desktop.
I hooked up the phone and set to disk drive.

When I click on the file I have on my desktop, Windows want me to either;
Open file with Firefox, or Save File. I cannot "run" the program.

What am I doing wrong?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones