• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to install ICARUS 1.1 by Isaacj87

Hey I am on metro has anyone found a fix for the mms issue I updated to the icarus 1.1 and still nothing I also notice my network is super slow thats if it connects at all any advice?

Sorry you are still having issues with mms. Yeah, if you are on MetroPCS mms can still be a problem, but it is being worked on at this time. You might want to flash ICARUS 1.0 as the mms issue there has been fixed. Thanks for your post. I need to change the original post here to reflect that Metro users may still encounter a problem.

Sorry I didn't know about it until last night.

Reactions: septembersrain
Upvote 0
I have a few more questions. I found out that the Icarus comes with a flash player, does that one work like the one in froyo or is it an older version? And Jazzy i don't mean to put pressure on you or anything, but did you finvid out how the app2sd work :D. Thank you for all your help.

No the flash (Adobe 4 lite) is not quite comparable to the one in Froyo. However, this is only true of comparing it to a phone whose hardware supports Flashplayer 10.5 (unlike the Ascend). What Isaac did here was tweak the Ascend to the max and if you notice videos, etc. load faster and have much less lag.

As for app2sd this is what I found in the original posts by Isaacj87:

Q: Where is apps2sd? Why can't I turn it on?

A: That's because it's already on. It runs as a background process that automagically moves apps from the internal storage/cache to the EXT2 partition on your SDCard. Should any problems arise, I will post instructions on making sure DT's apps2sd is functioning correctly.

Q: Where can I check if apps2sd is running correctly?

A: That requires a little knowledge of the terminal and/or ADB. I use ADB, but I'm assuming you can use a terminal emulator. To check if DT's apps2sd is functional, simply run this ADB command:

adb /system/bin/a2sd check

Q: You said we have apps2sd, but my storage space is still draining?

A: Regardless of apps2sd, the phone still uses internal storage for caching things (Web pages, Market, etc.). While you will use SOME memory over time, most of it will be released at some point (reboot, auto-clearing). If you're sure you've done everything correctly, try running the a2sd check and see what's wrong. It might be that you just need to re-partition your SDcard correctly.

Upvote 0
Sorry you are still having issues with mms. Yeah, if you are on MetroPCS mms can still be a problem, but it is being worked on at this time. You might want to flash ICARUS 1.0 as the mms issue there has been fixed. Thanks for your post. I need to change the original post here to reflect that Metro users may still encounter a problem.

Sorry I didn't know about it until last night.
As it just so happens I have Metro Pcs. Glad I'm not an impatient person or I might be over here raging. LOL. Thanks for this post. ^^.

Upvote 0
Woooo Hooo! I know that exhilarating feeling now too! ;)

Did you try doing it again jhed, from the start to see if it will update? I'm on Cricket and I don't think that has anything to do with it. When you plug in your USB does a popup come up with three options? Install drivers, file transfer and manual? You might try turning off your phone and plugging the USB in and then with the phone attached, turn it on. It might recognize the device then. I had NO problems with it. sorry you are having them. Dang!

Amazing isn't it? :)

when i go into control panel and update the android 1.0 it says this. "windows could not find driver software for your device. if you know the manufacturer for your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for the driver software."

Upvote 0
No the flash (Adobe 4 lite) is not quite comparable to the one in Froyo. However, this is only true of comparing it to a phone whose hardware supports Flashplayer 10.5 (unlike the Ascend). What Isaac did here was tweak the Ascend to the max and if you notice videos, etc. load faster and have much less lag.

As for app2sd this is what I found in the original posts by Isaacj87:

Q: Where is apps2sd? Why can't I turn it on?

A: That's because it's already on. It runs as a background process that automagically moves apps from the internal storage/cache to the EXT2 partition on your SDCard. Should any problems arise, I will post instructions on making sure DT's apps2sd is functioning correctly.

Q: Where can I check if apps2sd is running correctly?

A: That requires a little knowledge of the terminal and/or ADB. I use ADB, but I'm assuming you can use a terminal emulator. To check if DT's apps2sd is functional, simply run this ADB command:
adb /system/bin/a2sd check

Q: You said we have apps2sd, but my storage space is still draining?

A: Regardless of apps2sd, the phone still uses internal storage for caching things (Web pages, Market, etc.). While you will use SOME memory over time, most of it will be released at some point (reboot, auto-clearing). If you're sure you've done everything correctly, try running the a2sd check and see what's wrong. It might be that you just need to re-partition your SDcard correctly.

Thank you so much Jazzy for this info.;)

There are good and bad news for those angry birds lovers. The version of Angry Birds that is in the market works smoothly in my ascend with Isaac's Icarus 1.1 but if you want it even smoother toggle off the background in the settings. The bad news is that i suck at Angry Birds, those green pigs laugh at my pain D:

Upvote 0
when i go into control panel and update the android 1.0 it says this. "windows could not find driver software for your device. if you know the manufacturer for your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for the driver software."

Dang! You did say you have Vista for your OS didn't you? This seems to be a common problem for Vista users and USB drivers. There is some kind of incompatability issue.

You might try this as it has reportedly worked for some users, but not all:

Delete infcache.

The file is located in windows/inf/. You need to give yourself full control to the file (right click 'properties' 'security' 'edit' and then type "administrators" ...then select "Full control".

After this delete the file, then reboot, plug back in your device, open Device Manager and find the 'unknown device' and then re-install the drivers.

Hope this helps you. If not...you may have to use a friend's computer with XP.

Good luck! Sorry you're having these probs!

Upvote 0
Dang! You did say you have Vista for your OS didn't you? This seems to be a common problem for Vista users and USB drivers. There is some kind of incompatability issue.

You might try this as it has reportedly worked for some users, but not all:

Delete infcache.

The file is located in windows/inf/. You need to give yourself full control to the file (right click 'properties' 'security' 'edit' and then type "administrators" ...then select "Full control".

After this delete the file, then reboot, plug back in your device, open Device Manager and find the 'unknown device' and then re-install the drivers.

Hope this helps you. If not...you may have to use a friend's computer with XP.

Good luck! Sorry you're having these probs!

i have a windows xp i guess.

were do i go to delete infcache?

and how do i find the file?

Upvote 0
i have a windows xp i guess.

were do i go to delete infcache?

and how do i find the file?

Jhed...I really don't want to advise you to do something that might harm your computer as I have never performed that procedure myself on mine.

Are you using the SD Card that came with the phone...out of the box?

I honestly don't know what to tell you now. I'm sorry.

:thinking:

Upvote 0
Jhed...I really don't want to advise you to do something that might harm your computer as I have never performed that procedure myself on mine.

Are you using the SD Card that came with the phone...out of the box?

I honestly don't know what to tell you now. I'm sorry.

:thinking:

its ok ill just use my friends computer and try it out.

and yes.

Upvote 0
So... during this step: - Press back until you're in the main menu of CWM. From there, choose "Install zip from sdcard." Then, select "choose zip from sdcard." Find IcarusMOD and flash it. DON'T REBOOT YET.

I uhh.. realized that I didn't copy the ZIP to my sd, I copied the EXTRACTED FILES to my sd... and now my phone does nothing but stay on the white Huawei screen forever... is there a way to somehow get the ZIP onto my SD so that when I go back to Recovery Mode (If I even still can) I can just select it like I was supposed to do?

I'm quite saddened for myself for making such a small, but such a HUGE mistake =/

Upvote 0
Crap need help. It stays saying "Waiting for device", I've gone into device manager..Tried to install update, nothing. I've got Windows 7, Please advise. I can't move forward.

Hang tight September! Did you try removing the 'nfcache' per the instructions above?

You have to reboot afterwards but then you should be able to install the drivers.

Upvote 0
So... during this step: - Press back until you're in the main menu of CWM. From there, choose "Install zip from sdcard." Then, select "choose zip from sdcard." Find IcarusMOD and flash it. DON'T REBOOT YET.

I uhh.. realized that I didn't copy the ZIP to my sd, I copied the EXTRACTED FILES to my sd... and now my phone does nothing but stay on the white Huawei screen forever... is there a way to somehow get the ZIP onto my SD so that when I go back to Recovery Mode (If I even still can) I can just select it like I was supposed to do?

I'm quite saddened for myself for making such a small, but such a HUGE mistake =/

Plug your phone back into the computer and find the Icarus zip file in your downloads on your computer. Right click on it and select 'send to' and select the F disk (your SD Card) or whatever it is called on your computer. That will put it in your SD Card.

Then it will be there for you. Try that and see if it works for you.

Reactions: DaDarkLoki
Upvote 0
Plug your phone back into the computer and find the Icarus zip file in your downloads on your computer. Right click on it and select 'send to' and select the F disk (your SD Card) or whatever it is called on your computer. That will put it in your SD Card.

Then it will be there for you. Try that and see if it works for you.

The thing is, my SD Card isn't showing up on my computer... it's as if my phone isn't plugged into my computer at all.

Upvote 0
Did you click on 'my computer' and look to see if it's there? Try plugging it in (the USB) and then turning on your phone. Also, turn off USB debugging.

Well I can't turn off USB debugging because my phone doesn't even turn on past the Huawei screen. And yeah I checked on my computer and it's not showing up... =/

Allz I need to do is put the stinkin' ZIP on my SD card! Ugh :'(

Upvote 0
Well I can't turn off USB debugging because my phone doesn't even turn on past the Huawei screen. And yeah I checked on my computer and it's not showing up... =/

Allz I need to do is put the stinkin' ZIP on my SD card! Ugh :'(

Okay...go ahead and turn it off, take the battery out for ten seconds or so, then reboot and follow the directions to boot it into recovery.

You will have to start over but now you know what to do and what not to do. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

:(

Reactions: DaDarkLoki
Upvote 0
Okay...go ahead and turn it off, take the battery out for ten seconds or so, then reboot and follow the directions to boot it into recovery.

You will have to start over but now you know what to do and what not to do. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

:(

Sigh..

Okie dokie then. Will do. Thank you very very much for being patient with me, I very much appreciate it.

Upvote 0
You are almost there! Go to 'settings' 'wireless and networks' 'mobile networks' 'access point names' and then select your carrier. You may have the wrong carrier selected at first and if it doesn't want to change...just keep trying and it will happen.
I had the same problem and this was the solution. It seems that it was defaulting to Metro PCS. I had to change it to Cricket 2 or three times and then it worked fine.

Upvote 0
I can't even get past "Waiting for device" Not on XP or on Win 7. I have no idea. I really think maybe this is just a sign. It won't allow me to do anything. I have no idea. If anyone has any suggestions...

Sometimes you have to reboot your computer and try again and it can take several attempts before it will update the drivers.

You have to just keep trying....if you want to. Otherwise...don't do it. LOL

Dinner time here. Will be back in an hour or so.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones