1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How to install Lollipop AOSP on Xperia E3 with TWRP Recovery?

Discussion in 'Android Rooting' started by george_sl, Feb 29, 2016.

1. george_sl

george_sl Lurker
    None

Feb 29, 2016
    Male
    Hello,
    This is my first post in Android Forums.
    I came here to ask a question. How to install the lollipop AOSP got from this link:https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24269982087010460 to my Xperia E3 with TWRP Custom Recovery installed? I'm a noob in terms of rooting and custom roms. I am rooted (SuperSU) and unlocked my bootloader. I don't want to get involved with adb or anything command-related. Is this possible with TWRP?
    Or, if it isn't, please help me with the commands as I don't want to brick my device.

NOTE: I have done a nandroid backup, so don't worry about that.

Advertisement

2. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Copy the ZIP to microSD card, reboot into TWRP, select Install, choose the ZIP file previously copied, then confirm the flash. TWRP will indicate progress; once complete restart the device.

3. george_sl

george_sl Lurker
    None

Feb 29, 2016
    Male
    First of all, thanks for your answer.
    Here's the situation.
    The zip I downloaded contained the following files: boot.img, system.img, recovery.img and userdata.img. I tried flashing the whole zip and it couldn't be finished. So I tried flashing those files via ADB. I flashed those and it worked. Then, I rebooted my device. It showed me the Sony logo, but then it faded out and did (pretty much) nothing. I tried the CM 12.1 rom here http://uploaded.net/file/r43lkmwg/from/2byunk (Sorry, slow download), flashed it with TWRP (2.8.5.0). The process ended successfully. I wiped dalvik and cache partitions, and then I rebooted to test it out. But, (again), the Sony logo appeared, then faded out with a purple light. Can you help me? I tried doing it myself, and as you can realize, I almost bricked my device. Thank Goodness that I did the Nandroid backup...

4. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Redownload the ZIP, as the previous copy might be corrupt. Be sure to check that the supplied MD5 checksum matches; the slightest error when downloading can wreck a firmware file.

5. george_sl

george_sl Lurker
    None

Feb 29, 2016
    Male
    I see. I redownloaded it, retried to flash it to my phone (AOSP) through ADB, and the same thing happened. What can I do? The bad thing is that it isn't supplied with a md5 checksum, and as a result, I can't tell if it is corrupted or not. I read an article about the integrity of an Android ROM,(XDA) and it said:

Go to the location where the Rom that you desire to install is present.
    Now
    Right Click on the Rom File > Select 7-zip > Select "Test Archive"
    If the result dialog box shows "No Errors" then your Rom file is perfectly fine!

The same thing happened to me.
    So now I'm sure that my AOSP zip isn't corrupt.
    What can I do to flash this AOSP problem-free?

6. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Android Expert

Jan 23, 2012
    Male
    Wales
    There is MD5 that should be on the download page you supplied, go here to check it is correct. Did that link originate from an xda thread or something? If so can you link that too?
    I don't know how different the lights are between different Xperias but my Z1 would be green for booting then when I entered recovery it would go purple. When yours went purple it was just a blank screen?

7. george_sl

george_sl Lurker
    None

Feb 29, 2016
    Male
    The link for the AOSP:http://fxpblog.co/qualcomm-cortex-a7-family/sony-xperia-e3/, AOSP 5.1, then find the file with the codename "flamingo". I don't see any MD5 checksums, correct me if I'm wrong. This link is originated from this xda thread here:http://www.xda-developers.com/fxp-team-delivers-lollipop-to-various-xperia-devices/

Look, when my E3 is booting, a blueish light supplied with a vibration is seen. When I go to recovery, that light changes to orange, like it's charging. When I flash the CM 12.1 ROM, the Sony logo appears, then fades out, with a purple light showing up. So, the purple light comes after the Sony logo faded out.

8. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Android Expert

Jan 23, 2012
    Male
    Wales
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24391638059058522 this link for the Flamingo, look on the right hand side, pretty much next to the download button shows md5 of 2971edba58dbd97095251d067ecd208a
    If you drag and drop the file into the box on that page I linked above, or click the box and navigate where it is saved, wait for the upload to complete and copy & paste the md5 off the download page.
    Besides that, I have never used fxp roms as on Sony I was stuck with a locked bootloader. However, reading up I'm afraid it looks like you do have to flash the boot.img using fastboot (ADB) so that is where the problem probably lies if you are trying to just flash it all in TWRP. I'm getting instructions from https://sites.google.com/site/projectfreexperia/download/howto-install. Just to be sure, is that download definitely for E3? I realise it is following links E3>5.1>Download but when you get that far the on-line file location location says "home/android/generic device/free xperia". It may be a daft question but I have no experience flashing from these sites, I have always used custom ROMs from XDA with specific instructions for flashing and I'm a little dubious if it is the correct file for the phone. Also, do you have the GAPPS already somewhere? I can't find the link to GAPPs on that page anywhere.

However, if you are sure it is the correct file and you are willing to use ADB (I understand it probably is quite daunting, but it looks like a pretty simple process, just the one real command), we can walk you through it if there is anything you are unsure of.
    If you want to go ahead and give it a go, grab the mini sdk from here.
    1. Copy your ROM zip to SD card and also extract a copy on PC and copy boot.img into your chosen location of where you have saved the sdk tool (I just have mine on C:\mini-SDK).
    2. Navigate to your sdk folder, shift and right click on a space in there and select "open command window here"
    3. Plug phone in after allowing debugging (type software version several times until developer options is unlocked in screen previous and check in there), now when you connect the phone it should bring up and RSA key and ask you to accept the connection, go ahead and you should now be connected in debug mode.
    4. In the cmd window you have open type "adb reboot bootloader" without quotes.
    5. Type "fastboot flash boot boot.img"
    6. After done type "fastboot reboot"
    7. As it's rebooting looks like you should now have FXP logo displayed get into recovery.
    8. Select install zip and navigate to your zip you save on the SD in step 1, swipe to flash, then another and select the GAPPs, swipe to flash.
    9. Looks like full wipe is necessary (Data & Cache of internal)
    10. Reboot and should boot into the new ROM, probably will take a long while for first boot.

This is going off the above guide, I have no experience with these ROMs but as I say I have flashed many things either straight through TWRP/CM or also using ADB, but it's always been with devices using a lot of development for. There are a lot more experienced guys on here that may have used these ROMs / device and have more know how specific to yourself. Good Luck, and remember if you are unsure of anything, just check back first.

9. george_sl

george_sl Lurker
    None

Feb 29, 2016
    Male
    EDIT: OK, I see now. I will try it out and tell the results.

#9 george_sl, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  10. george_sl

george_sl Lurker
    None

Feb 29, 2016
    Male
    Tried it and it did the same thing again :(
    Giving it one last shot :/
    EDIT: The exact same thing happened! (I am not getting the FXP logo as well):(

#10 george_sl, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    forresterchristie likes this.