• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to install MoDaCo Custom ROM (alt method)

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantumrand

Android Expert
Sep 2, 2009
Disclaimer: As usual, anything you do to your phone (or computer or whatever), you do at your own risk. If your phone gets bricked (be it unlikely), it's your own fault. Should you run into any problems, feel free to ask, but there are no guarantees you'll get a resolution.

I've noticed a lot of people have been running into the "downloading 'boot.img' ... Failed (remote:not allowed)" message when trying the conventional flashing methods. This error is because of updating to 2.73.x.x. I've seen a lot of people saying that you need to downgrade to the older 1.76 ROM, but I've found another, easier method.

By flashing to the official 2.73 ROM, the Fastboot method no longer works. I used Flashrec to flash my recovery image. Get it here: flashrec - Project Hosting on Google Code

Other files you will need:
MoDaCo's fastboot file: http://content.modaco.net/hero/1.1-hero-recovery.zip
MoDaCo's ROM: [GSM] 04/11 2.9 - MoDaCo Custom ROM Core / Chinese with TCK featuring Wavesecure - Android @ MoDaCo

Step 1: put the Flashrec apk onto your SD card as well as the recovery-RA-hero-v1.2.3.img file (extract it from the 1.1-hero-recovery.zip). Out of convenience (and to avoid possible errors) I renamed it cm-recovery.img.

Step 2: Using Atro File Manager (or any other apk installer), install the flashrec.apk file. You will need to have the Unknown Sources option ticked in Settings>Applications.

Step 3: Backup your recovery image using flashrec.

Step 4: Type into the text box, "/sdcard/cm-recovery.img" or whatever you renamed MoDaCo's recovery image to, and hit Flash.

Step 5: After the flash is successful, you can reboot into recovery mode (the button on Flashrec did not reboot my phone so I did it manually). To manually boot into recovery mode, hold Home while you turn on your phone.

Step 6: You should now be in the custom recovery mode. Select the Nandroid Backup option in order to create a backup of your current ROM.

Step 7: Select the Turn on Mass Storage option. This will allow you access to your SD card. For safety sake, copy the nandroid folder and the recovery-backup.img files to your computer and save them forever!!!! Then copy whichever MoDaCo ROM you chose to your SD card and rename it update.zip.

Step 8: Turn off Mass Storage and Flash your phone with the sdcard:update.zip option. Once complete, reboot the device and you should be done!!!

Additional note: If you chose an Apps2SD enabled ROM, you probably want to setup your SD card before rebooting the device. Also it will take a while to boot up the first time, but pay attention to make sure you're not stuck in a booting loop.

In my case, my phone was stuck in a loop. I had to remove the battery to turn it off, and turned it back on while holding Home in order to get the custom recovery mode. Resetting the factory defaults fixed the problem, but according to MoDaCo, you may not have to wipe the phone (it depends what settings/apps you have installed). After you wipe the phone, make sure it can boot up properly. After it does, go back and apply the update.zip one more time to reinstall a few of the apps included on the ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones