• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to install new firmware on a rooted Galaxy S6?

Hi,

I rooted my Galaxy S6 (SM-G920F) a year ago with a firmware 5.1.1, and now I want to upgrade my device to the latest firmware available (7). I also want to have the option to receive OTA updates. Is this possible after I rooted my device?

I used this guide to root my device:

My question is how do I install the latest firmware without causing problems?
Do I just need to download the latest firmware and install it through Odin?

Thanks alot!

With international models you need to match the firmware to your device Product and CSC codes.
This a good app to use to get the information
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.vndnguyen.phoneinfo
According to the app I got the following data:
PDA: G920FXXU3QOLB
Product Code: XFX

Do I need to download the following firmware:
https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s6/SM-G920F/XFA/download/G920FXXU4DPIX/108980/

Thank you very much for your help!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You can try. I think that if the flash fails, the phone would reboot from recovery into your old system or you would have to flash the correct firmware.
Samsung devices are usually easy to recover from mistakes as long as you can still get into download mode.
I would pick and try a generic firmware for a country, without (carrier).

Upvote 0
You can try. I think that if the flash fails, the phone would reboot from recovery into your old system or you would have to flash the correct firmware.
Samsung devices are usually easy to recover from mistakes as long as you can still get into download mode.
I would pick and try a generic firmware for a country, without (carrier).
Does it matter what country I choose? Also, Will the data on my phone will be deleted after installing a new firmware?

Thank you!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones