1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How to install old version of Yahoo Mail?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by rikishi, Aug 3, 2016.

1. rikishi

rikishi Lurker
    None

Nov 26, 2011
    I'm trying to help a friend who has a Samsung SGH-S730M running Android 4.0.4, not customized by or locked to any carrier. She had a problem with Yahoo Mail after changing her password from another device. Another friend recommended that she uninstall and reinstall the mail app, but now she's getting an error from Google Play that the app is incompatible with her device; it requires at least 4.1. She tried several third-party mail apps, but none integrated properly with her various contact sources.

It appears that Yahoo Mail 4.7.2 (or perhaps 4.7.4) is the newest version compatible with Android 4.0.4, but the oldest I could find on apkmirror or other reputable sites is 4.8.2. Older versions found elsewhere all seem to be malware.

Is there a reliable source for a compatible APK?

If not, can the OS be upgraded to 4.1 or better? (Check for update reports nothing available.)

If not, and she buys a new phone, is there an app that can automatically do all or most of: install her apps, restore settings from the old phone, restore accounts and passwords, restore Wi-Fi networks and associated keys, etc?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    kct1975 and PitCarver like this.
  3. rikishi

rikishi Lurker
    None

Nov 26, 2011
    Thanks for the quick reply. She installed AquaMail with no apparent issues (was able to send and receive mail, including Yahoo), but her Yahoo contacts were not accessible, nor did starting to type a name or email address offer auto-complete of a Yahoo contact name. (Her Google and locally-stored contacts appeared normally.)

Do your Yahoo contacts show in AquaMail when choosing a recipient? When typing an address?

If she can't fix this, she'll probably try a workaround of exporting all Yahoo contacts and importing them to Gmail, then using Google contacts for all future additions and updates. Unfortunately, this method makes it more difficult to use Yahoo mail from a laptop or desktop.

4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Uh, that is one little irk for me, Yahoo's contacts do NOT show up in Aqua Mail, but once you use one, Aqua Mail remembers it.

I love the way that Aqual Mail can access all of Yahoo's folders, I have almost 100 folders with some legal stuff going back over a decade....

Aqual Mail does however, recognize any Contact that has the email address in it... a nice feature, but I don't usually store emails in my contacts list.
    however, I am beginning to think that I should, that way Aqua Mail would autofil in a recipient's name as you type it.
    I too, have my contacts stored in Google only, a result of loosing a contact list when an older phone had the contacts only in that one phone.... ( neophyte daze )

I feel for what she wants, really do...
    I use Yahoo from my Desktop PC in Win7 and it works just fine. If I need the autofill email thing for sending out my Joke's lists, then I go to the desktop PC.

for casual reading of emails, I view them from my cellphone to get an idea of what it is all about... If I answer it from Aqua Mail, it does show up in the Yahoo Sent Folder...

I have Gmail setup so that anything that hits gmail, is auto-forwarded to my Yahoo inbox. that way, I only need to go to one place to read my mail... then when I think about it, I bounce over to gmail and just delete the entire inbox.

I am very private with my gmail address, I do not let that be known to very many at all. I do NOT want spam coming into that inbox.

On Yahoo, I have almost 300 unique email vendor addresses, your friend probably knows about them.
    for instance, Electronic Design News is FirstnameLastnameSecure-EDN@yahoo.com

all of their unique email address are FirstnameLastnameSecure-VendorID@yahoo.com

I do this so that if I get a lot of spam from a vendor, I just delete that unique throw away email address.
    works a lot better than trying to unsubscribe from a robot's list :)

5. funpig

funpig Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2010
    rikishi

I believe you can sync Yahoo contacts with Gmail contacts or vice versa.

I use the Yahoo email app on the phone. But I prefer using both calendar and contacts via google. I can add new contact on phone and it syncs to google. In Yahoo, i have set it up to sync all google contacts. It should do it on its own if the permissions are set up properly. Every once in a while, i do a manual sync to make sure everything in google goes into yahoo.

Therefore, this should keep your google contacts and yahoo contacts synced and I believe that aquamail can access your google contacts on your phone.

6. funpig

funpig Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2010
    PS When I google "Yahoo Mail 4.7.2", it turns up several sites that appear legitimate. There are no guarantees when downloading from any of the these other sources, including the so called reputable sources like apkmirror.

I still use an older jellybean tablet and am forced to download older versions of app. I just take the chance because I am pushing the life of the old tablet.

One option is to flash a custom rom (I have tried this and unless you have a very popular device with official XDA developer support, the custom roms can be buggy. I have always ended up restoring back to the stock jelly bean when I get tired of reboots). The other option is to buy a newer device. My mantra is to stick with a google nexus device to be guaranteed OS updates for at least a few years. Other manufacturers are more interested in selling you the latest model rather than supporting the older the models.