• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to install Phiremod on your Nook Color (updated 5-29-2011)

Ok told you I shouldn't squeal too soon...I was so happy with it this morning, until I tried to get the lock screen to work, and whatever setting I changed enabled the lock screen, but it's the size of a phone screen on my nook. I can't get to the numbers for my passcode, so now I'm locked out of it!!!
I'm about to cry now...what do I do?
That's what I get for messing with crap!! :(
There's no crying in rooting!! Tom Hanks

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Trying to update to 6.3 did not work out for me at all. I am stuck on the ANDROID_ screen. I have reflashed three times. I took the sd card out and put it in my computer, deleted the rom and put a new copy on there and then flashed that. Still nothing. Not sure what I am missing here.

When I flash the rom it is only taking like 30 seconds instead of 5 minutes so maybe it is not flashing correctly?

I had the same problem. I forgot to wipe the Dalvik (sp) cache. I ended up going back to Stock 1.1.0 rerooting and flashing 6.3 fresh. Works flawlessly!

Upvote 0
I'd try booting into recovery formatting cache and dalvik cache and see if that fixes it. Formatting dalvik cache always hangs so you'll have to power off to restart. Your first reboot will take longer after doing this and it'll be a little slow for a few hours of use.

If that doesn't work, you could go into recovery, format system, format cache and reinstall the rom and see if that fixes it. Formatting data will delete all your apps and settings so don't do that unless you really are desperate.

It doesn't impress the women when you screw up their tablets. :D

Upvote 0
Ive been looking around for a while and i cannot quite find the answer. I just put Phiremod 6.3 on my Nook color, first time doing a Mod ever. Everything went well except 2 things im noticing.

Mainly, i do not seem to have Flash like the Stock 1.2. Am i good to install the 10.3 app from the market or did i screw something up? Secondly (and could just be the shakey wifi out here where im deployed) the wifi seemed disco and reconnect without me moving around.

ill keep searching here and the XDA joints to find a answer also, but thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0
Yes, I believe you install flash from Market.

My older wireless G router would never connect with stock 1.2 rom, yet works great with stock 1.1 and CM7-based roms. I'd try the wireless in another location.

Phiremod 6.2 had a different kernel, one that might be more wireless-friendly, but only overclocks to about 925 mhz, instead of the 1300 with PM 6.3. I see Rom Manager (probably just paid version) allows you to download both versions, if you can't find it anywhere else.

Upvote 0
Colchiro, thanks for the comprehensive instructions! I had no problems flashing to Phiremod 6.2 early this month. But now I'm stuck: I've written a 1gb_clockwork-0.7.tar.img file into a 1GB card using win32diskimager, and also copied the phiremod 6.3 zip. I can get into mounts and storage and format system and data, but when I tried to install the phiremod zip, it says installation aborted. Any ideas?

I'm on my wit's end after trying for half a day to get 6.3 on my NC. :(

Upvote 0
I got a question.... i just rooted and romed 2 NC(1.2) for my mom and aunt. They purchased apps from the barnes and noble bookstore i was wondering if i could get the apps back. I have the nook app installed and the have logged in but i don't see the apps anywhere and no i did not back up before i rooted.

Make sure you use the same B&N login info as they used before. I think you can also login at their website if you want to confirm it works.

Colchiro, thanks for the comprehensive instructions! I had no problems flashing to Phiremod 6.2 early this month. But now I'm stuck: I've written a 1gb_clockwork-0.7.tar.img file into a 1GB card using win32diskimager, and also copied the phiremod 6.3 zip. I can get into mounts and storage and format system and data, but when I tried to install the phiremod zip, it says installation aborted. Any ideas?

I'm on my wit's end after trying for half a day to get 6.3 on my NC. :(

Make sure you can open the phiremod zip file on your computer. Also, if you use a program to view zipped files, like WinRar or Winzip, see if there's an option to "test" the file. You might have a corrupt file and need to re-download it.

Reactions: 1JOD
Upvote 0
I just reflashed and I am getting the same results. I only have one sd card for her, a 4GB, so I am using it and then when you say to remove it and put in a new one I am just taking it out and putting it in my computer and reformatting it and then putting it back. I thought that would be fine? Also it seems like 6.3 is 104 MB and I am only getting 103 MB when I DL it.

After this last reflash when I selected reboot it rebooted back into CWM instead of the new rom so I selected reboot again and it went to the rom. I am getting the same result as before though when trying to power off. I formatted cache, system and data. Should I do the wipe cache on the main screen? Where is this dalvik cache? I didn't see it anywhere.

Sorry to be a pain.

Another thought. She was at BN 1.2. Should I take it back to 1.0.1 and then try to flash PM6.3?

Upvote 0
hey got home from work and got the flash going good. now i have an issue with not being able to install amazon market or half the things i tried from Appbrain. keep getting a not found window come up? id search further but i need some sleep 12 hour shifts 6 days a week ftl.

thinking of starting the mod over again, what do yall think? there is the possibility its the location im at, middle east for now and alot of stuff on the net is blocked for over here. would that cause an issue in your minds?

Upvote 0
Hey, thanks for the swift reply! I copied the file and used ExtractNow as well as WinZip to open it, and you know what? It's empty! I downloaded the same file from Phiremod's wordpress (which leads to mediafire) site 4 times and got the same result, despite clearing my cache. :(

What web browser are you using? I just downloaded from here and it tests as ok.

I just reflashed and I am getting the same results. I only have one sd card for her, a 4GB, so I am using it and then when you say to remove it and put in a new one I am just taking it out and putting it in my computer and reformatting it and then putting it back. I thought that would be fine? Also it seems like 6.3 is 104 MB and I am only getting 103 MB when I DL it.

Is your card still close to 4 gb after formatting? You want a 4 gb partition, not a smaller one. Some CWR images are only 100 megs. If it's close to 4gb, then ignore my ramblings. :D

After this last reflash when I selected reboot it rebooted back into CWM instead of the new rom so I selected reboot again and it went to the rom. I am getting the same result as before though when trying to power off. I formatted cache, system and data. Should I do the wipe cache on the main screen? Where is this dalvik cache? I didn't see it anywhere.

Another thought. She was at BN 1.2. Should I take it back to 1.0.1 and then try to flash PM6.3?

Leave it on v. 1.2. I updated from 1.2 last time and it has worked fine. With the newer roms, devs are thinking 1.2 has an advantage over 1.1. :D

Did you repartition it or was it already the correct (old) size?

Dalvik cache is under advanced menu in recovery. It will lock your Nook when done so you'll need to hold down the power button to shut it off. It's safe to do now.

Does the power button fail when you first install the rom or does it happen after installing software? Can you explain the "hung up" on power down more?

I use QuickBoot to reboot or shut down my android devices. Then you can place a "reboot" or "shut down" icon on your screen, and do it with one tap. :D

hey got home from work and got the flash going good. now i have an issue with not being able to install amazon market or half the things i tried from Appbrain. keep getting a not found window come up? id search further but i need some sleep 12 hour shifts 6 days a week ftl.

thinking of starting the mod over again, what do yall think? there is the possibility its the location im at, middle east for now and alot of stuff on the net is blocked for over here. would that cause an issue in your minds?

Did Market work for you before? Try installing something that shows there now, one of the ones that show up when you first open market. I've had old software that didn't show up in Market any more. Blocked items wouldn't surprise me, considering you're not in Kansas anymore. :D If some installs, I'd wait on a re-do.

You're better off backing up apps with Titanium Backup than to rely on Appbrain. Appbrain was a great idea when it first came out, but I quit using it when it no longer would install software for me.

Upvote 0
The market app that came with the Phiremod i put on the nook does show items. Just when i go to search for items like Kindle, Nook app or youtube app even they dont come up in the search results. Other things show up fine, i click whatever category i wanna check out and get a bejesus ton of apps to check out. i got dolphin HD and the flash 10.3 and games installed no problems and same with task killer and pulse. Hopefully its just the country im in for now and they will show back up when im back in the states. just did not think they would or could stop certain apps from showing in the market.

Upvote 0
Can you explain the "hung up" on power down more?

You know how when you try to power down it ask if you want to power down or reboot or what not and you press power down? Then that little circle appears and it goes round and round? That little circle freezes and hangs up. The whole thing hangs up there and the only way for me to power it down is to press and hold the power button again. It is kind of odd.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones