• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to install Phiremod on your Nook Color (updated 5-29-2011)

That doesn't sound right. You might want to format system/cache and flash the rom again.

Don't format data, you'll lose your apps/settings.

OTOH, some cpu's don't like the extra speed. There won't be any more kernels coming out for that rom. All the newer ones will require a rom update, but will also give you more speed and better battery life during sleep.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to thank you for your explicit, yet simple, directions for rooting and adding this rom. I had so much trouble until I found this site, now love love love my NC.

Two questions: since PM is running 2.3, I'm safe from the dreaded B&N 1.2 update, right? Started with that and had a horrible time until it reverted back to 1.1 and I was able to autonooter.

And, I'm running PM v6.2... Do I HAVE to update to 6.3 to avoid future glitches? And what are the benefits to do the update? It's so stable now, I'm worried about messing it up. And if I do update, what's this "sig" thing we are to remember? (Sorry, that's three questions, and I guess I don't need to state I'm a "newbie".)

Thanks again for your help with the guidance, and continuing help.

Upvote 0
Two questions: since PM is running 2.3, I'm safe from the dreaded B&N 1.2 update, right? Started with that and had a horrible time until it reverted back to 1.1 and I was able to autonooter.

So long as you are running Phiremod, you needn't worry about the B&N 1.2 update...

And, I'm running PM v6.2... Do I HAVE to update to 6.3 to avoid future glitches? And what are the benefits to do the update? It's so stable now, I'm worried about messing it up. And if I do update, what's this "sig" thing we are to remember? (Sorry, that's three questions, and I guess I don't need to state I'm a "newbie".)

Thanks again for your help with the guidance, and continuing help.

You are under no obligation to update your NC from 6.2 to 6.3. Run whichever version you prefer and whichever version functions best for your needs.

Reactions: colchiro
Upvote 0
Yes, 6.2 should work for you for some time. If 6.2 was a stretch of your abilities, I'd wait for a version that has changes that make it worth the risk. :D

Some people like the latest and greatest and 6.3 is the latest version of Phiremod, which is based on the latest stable version of CM7.

The next version might be worth updating to since it should include kernel changes that will save considerable battery power when your NC sleeps. When that is available, you can bet I'll note that. :D

Upvote 0
What's your governor set to? (Settings... Phiremod settings... performance... cpu)

You don't want performance governor. Conservative is best. The other two governors were removed from the latest kernels since they were buggy. Too bad since I so wanted to try the kick-ass governor (not kidding, that's what it was called). :D

Otherwise, go into settings... about tablet... battery use and see what's using the most battery.

Upvote 0
Performance stays at the highest speed and never lower. Not much good for battery life. :D

The rest just determine how fast it ramps up to a fast speed when needed and how quick it drops to a lower speed so really nothing major. Conservative gives the best battery life in theory. That's about all I know. More info on governors here. Check out the second link in post3. :D

Upvote 0
I am getting the same result as before though when trying to power off.

Another thought. She was at BN 1.2. Should I take it back to 1.0.1 and then try to flash PM6.3?

Colchiro said:
Leave it on v. 1.2. I updated from 1.2 last time and it has worked fine. With the newer roms, devs are thinking 1.2 has an advantage over 1.1. :D

Did you get this resolved? Although I've never had problems with the v.1.2 uboot (Read Forever), I saw mention of people having the same problem on XDA and it was mentioned that some thought it was related to 1.2. If that's the case, I gave you bad advice.

Upvote 0
Did you get this resolved? Although I've never had problems with the v.1.2 uboot (Read Forever), I saw mention of people having the same problem on XDA and it was mentioned that some thought it was related to 1.2. If that's the case, I gave you bad advice.

Nah. I gave up 'cause I never went and bought a new SD card. So what is the good advice?

Edit: I guess it would be good to revert to 1.0.1 or 1.1.0 then?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So I tookit back to BN 1.0.1 and then followed the instructions for unroot PM install. That is the same way I did mine which is working perfectly. My wife's is still having that shut off problem however. Mine was never updated to 1.2 like hers was though so that has to be the issue. Hers works perfectly in every other way except you have to hold it in until it shut down all the way. Do you think long term that may cause some harm?

Upvote 0
Ok, had to read some of your posts to figure out what was going on. :D

Your NC has never had the shutoff problem, only your wife's. You restored her NC back to v 1.0.1, installed PM and it didn't help.

I suspect all you noticed from all your work was the boot changed from "Read Forever" to the longer message (which I can never remember). :D

Did you try just the recovery fix (I posted above) on hers? That would have been easier and in theory, the same result.

Upvote 0
I got the NC today and it came with v1.2

I followed your instructions to put non-rooted CWM recovery on it as well as phiremod 6.3 posted.

Since its not rooted, I guess this means I can't o/c? The o/c widget only shows up to 800 MHz. Will the manual rooter work for 1.2? I guess the autorooter still not made for it?

Any pointers on where to get Netflix for it?

Thanks, everything works great on it.

Upvote 0
I've never seen a custom rom that wasn't rooted and the Froyo, Honeycomb and CM7 roms (including Phiremod) are all rooted. If you run autonooter or the manualnooter on it, you'll just trash your installation.

What o/c widget are you using? If you go to settings... phiremod settings... you'll find where the o/c settings are and you should be able to choose to 1300.

There have been several Neflix posts here in the last couple weeks if you look a bit. Here's one: http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-all-things-root/334887-netflix-cm7.html

Upvote 0
I've never seen a custom rom that wasn't rooted and the Froyo, Honeycomb and CM7 roms (including Phiremod) are all rooted. If you run autonooter or the manualnooter on it, you'll just trash your installation.

What o/c widget are you using? If you go to settings... phiremod settings... you'll find where the o/c settings are and you should be able to choose to 1300.

There have been several Neflix posts here in the last couple weeks if you look a bit. Here's one: http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-all-things-root/334887-netflix-cm7.html

the phiremod didn't seem right, as I couldn't o/c past 800, even though everything worked great. I ran manualrooter to root it, but than the OS seemed trashed (u were right), I reverted to the backup, ran manualrooter, than reinstalled Phiremod and now o/c is working, seems stable at 1200 MHz.

Great tutorial.

Upvote 0
Hey colchiro,

Just wanted to say thanks for your very clear walkthrough for installing Phiremod. I bought a used Nook Color off Cragislist last week and thanks to your instructions, within an hour had Phiremod flashed and working just fine. Much smoother than I was fearing, given the issues some have run into. Great thread and info!

(Currently watching "Doctor Zhivago" streamed from Netflix on the Nook, thanks to another thread here. Awesome!)

Upvote 0
You're welcome. :D

Did you need to plug a speakers/headphones in the speaker jack?

No, I listened on the built-in speaker, although the volume was pretty limited. I seem to remember a tip on how to adjust settings to raise the volume on the speaker, but can't now remember where I read it - maybe on this site, maybe somewhere else in browsing for tips. I know this is off-topic for this thread, but do you happen to know that setting adjustment to enhance speaker volume?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones