• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How-To] Install SPRecovery on unrooted 2.1 OTA

Try the instructions in the first post, that just pass the commands through to the phone, rather than get into the actual shell. If that doesn't work, there are 2 options to root:

1. Just use SPRecovery to flash a rooted ROM
2. This method:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/78548-how-easier-method-root-2-1-a.html

Cool deal. I'll give it a whirl now that I've gone back to 2.0 and OTA'd to 2.1 - I have that down now.

Any limits or flags set on Verizon's side for how many times a device can OTA to 2.1 before they ask questions?

Upvote 0
I'm new to this droid modding, but am fairly familiar with computers/linux. I've flashed SPRecovery & downloaded the SDK. I didn't install Eclipse as I don't plan on writing any apps (yet).

My goal was to take this in steps and root for now.

I'm also having a problem where adb shell just hangs. Some other things I've observed:
- adb remount & reboot also hang in SPRecovery
- If I connect my phone to the computer fully booted, adb shell & reboot work fine (although shell gives me the '$' prompt. To get the '#' prompt, shouldn't I need to be rooted already?)

I guess I could just go ahead and install a rooted rom, but I'm worried if my SPRecovery is a bit corrupt (and I really don't want to go through and re-install all apps and reset all my preferences)?

I flashed with a Windows 7 computer with the SPRecovery.sbf on the C:\ direcory running RSD Lite as administrator. Everything seemed to go well, but it did tell me to reboot the phone manually or something after the flash.

Anyone have any ideas?

ETA: nevermind, it worked for me now I did exactly:
1) Connected booted phone and ran some adb commands (adb shell & reboot)
2) Powered phone off and on in SPRecovery
3) mounted /system
4) executed commands in OP

I tried many times before this and I don't know why it worked this last time, but I'm rooted now :)

Upvote 0
I'm new to this droid modding, but am fairly familiar with computers/linux. I've flashed SPRecovery & downloaded the SDK. I didn't install Eclipse as I don't plan on writing any apps (yet).

My goal was to take this in steps and root for now.

I'm also having a problem where adb shell just hangs. Some other things I've observed:
- adb remount & reboot also hang in SPRecovery
- If I connect my phone to the computer fully booted, adb shell & reboot work fine (although shell gives me the '$' prompt. To get the '#' prompt, shouldn't I need to be rooted already?)

I guess I could just go ahead and install a rooted rom, but I'm worried if my SPRecovery is a bit corrupt (and I really don't want to go through and re-install all apps and reset all my preferences)?

I flashed with a Windows 7 computer with the SPRecovery.sbf on the C:\ direcory running RSD Lite as administrator. Everything seemed to go well, but it did tell me to reboot the phone manually or something after the flash.

Anyone have any ideas?

ETA: nevermind, it worked for me now I did exactly:
1) Connected booted phone and ran some adb commands (adb shell & reboot)
2) Powered phone off and on in SPRecovery
3) mounted /system
4) executed commands in OP

I tried many times before this and I don't know why it worked this last time, but I'm rooted now :)

Same thing for me, lots of hanging up on the adb shell step, but after dicking around for about 15 minutes i got lucky and on one of my reboots the thing just worked....

Upvote 0
I dont know why I didnt think of this a long time ago but...

In order to avoid having to use abd to push the su and superuser.apk I editted the update.zip of the 2.1 version of superuser to work with spr. I unrooted and gave it a shot just to be sure and it worked fine.

So after you finish the sbf flash of SPRecovery then just put this update.zip in the root of your sd card then reboot into recovery. Go to install then press allow update.zip installation then install update.zip depreciated.

After that you will have root access without using adb and without losing any data.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5tcwnwyz2yy

Upvote 0
Ok, I have been reading all this stuff on overclocking and rooting my Droid. I am pretty handy with a computer, but I keep getting lost because some of the info is outdated and then I see steps that I had not seen before. It is scary. I dont want to brick my phone, but overclocking would be awesome. So here is what I need....I don't want some one to say look at this link or go to this page or I assume you have this or watch this 3 month old youtube video or blah blah blah.

I need real step by step answers. From the beginning. I have a 2.1 unrooted phone. I want to overclock the device. I dont care if I loose my data. All my contacts are backed up in gmail and I can handle reloading all my apps. Need a fresh start every once in a while anyway.

I have read that Bugless Beauty is good? I could be convinced otherwise. But I need this made simple. Don't assume anything...every step. I want to be able to teach other people I work with how to do this, so I need to understand each step in the process. I will need links to files that need downloading because I have none of the files.

I know you guys on here are a lot smarter than I am. I am sure that one of you can take pity on me and enlighten me. Let's see what you can come up with.

God Bless

Jason

Reactions: Peltgrande
Upvote 0
I would like to second Portanas' sentiment. I have been reading ALOT and feel like I keep getting sent in different directions and am not sure. I have an unrooted 2.1 Moto Droid, and I would really like the benefits of going to 2.2 and overclocking. I don't need or want any other tinkering/hacking, (would likely screw it up anyway.)

All I really want is to get from Stock 2.1 to 2.2 and overclock a little. I am sure this is
frustrating to those who have answered this question before, but I would love to do this, ala June 14, 2010! Please help a newbie at rooting.

Upvote 0
I would like to second Portanas' sentiment. I have been reading ALOT and feel like I keep getting sent in different directions and am not sure. I have an unrooted 2.1 Moto Droid, and I would really like the benefits of going to 2.2 and overclocking. I don't need or want any other tinkering/hacking, (would likely screw it up anyway.)

All I really want is to get from Stock 2.1 to 2.2 and overclock a little. I am sure this is
frustrating to those who have answered this question before, but I would love to do this, ala June 14, 2010! Please help a newbie at rooting.

Follow these video guides: Guide to Rooting Android 2.1 on a Motorola Droid | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

They also have step by step instructions along with them, as well as links to the files needed. This is a very handy guide as it has all the steps, plus video so you can go along with it.

Once you are rooted with your stock rom, you can now flash whatever rom you like. I recommend starting with Bugless Beast first if you like stock (can be found in Rom Manager) or checking out Fab's: http://androidforums.com/all-things...east-frf57-v0-1-1-wifi-fixed-6-13-2010-a.html

Fab's is based on Pete's Bugless Beast with some minor (maybe major as Fab works hard to keep us pleased!) tweaks and a nice theme. I currently run that one and love it. Not to mention you will get all the support you need. Get all that, then start playing around with it. Any problems, just ask. You may be met with some people making dumb comments, but the majority will assist you so you can enjoy your droid!

To recap: Follow the guide I linked completely and you will have a stock, rooted droid. You can then get all the apps you need like setcpu, rom manager, root explorer, etc. and back them up via Titanium Backup prior to flashing a new rom. But PLEASE, before you flash Pete's, Fab's, or any other rom, BACKUP YOUR CURRENT SETUP! You can do this via Rom Manager. So get rooted, get your apps you need, backup your apps via Titanium Backup, then backup your system via Rom Manager. That way if anything goes wonky, you have that system backup (nandroid backup) to go back to.

Reactions: Peltgrande
Upvote 0
interesting enough im in sprecovery and when from my PC i go adb shell

i dont believe that i have any real access though it does show # instead of $

but when i boot it back up in normal mode its back at $

OMJ i did do that update.zip you composed also just for the heck of it.

seem to be able to push and stuff but not like

ls

cd

or even access sqlite3

Ohhh also chose mount system option too and i cant seem to not get it to work.

Upvote 0
interesting enough im in sprecovery and when from my PC i go adb shell

i dont believe that i have any real access though it does show # instead of $

but when i boot it back up in normal mode its back at $

OMJ i did do that update.zip you composed also just for the heck of it.

seem to be able to push and stuff but not like

ls

cd

or even access sqlite3

Ohhh also chose mount system option too and i cant seem to not get it to work.

If you have SPR and you ran that update.zip then ADB should work fine in recovery or in the OS. Could be an issue with your install of ADB or the motorola drivers

Upvote 0
All of those asking for the root exploit for the 2.1 OTA, or those unsatisfied with 2.1 and wanting to go back can now use this method posted by Droidmod. It is essentially an .sbf file that will install SPRecovery on the OTA update, and eliminates the need to downgrade back to 2.0.1 to get SPRecovery.

Once you have SPRecovery, you can just flash any new ROM that has superuser permissions. The link is here:

2.1 SP Recovery SBF - DroidMod

The post is as follows:

You'll need to follow the instructions for RSD Lite from the following thread, just replace the .sbf file with the one from Droidmod:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/47349-now-you-can-live-without-fear-bricking.html

-----------------------------------
Once you have SPRecovery installed, you can root your current 2.1 by flashing this update.zip file created by OMJ:

Manual Method of Rooting 2.1
Additionally, once you have SPRecovery, you can just root your OTA 2.1 (no need to flash another ROM), though this requires you to be competent with adb.

These are the instructions, thanks to samedroidsex.

**If you're having issues with the chmod commands, try using /system/bin/chmod instead, i.e. "/system/bin/chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"**

Props to the DM team! This is a sick release. And all you unrooted 2.1'ers out there, enjoy SPRecovery.

Man Can somebody help meim on 2.1 ota and i cant install a custom rom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones