• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how to install xp

Chidori602

Jun 18, 2010
I have Ubuntu 10.04 in my computer, i am wondering how i would install XP again. I,ve tried putting in the recovery Cd's and reinstall XP, but once the re installation is done and it reboots my computer, it gives me a black screen then reboot my computer then it turns off, the computer turns on by itself again and turns off again. this process goes on forever. i managed to install ubuntu from a cd, and its now my Only OS. I heard that in order to install XP I would need to delete the partitions, how would i do this from Ubuntu 10.04?

I'm not sure how to edit the partitions from within Ubuntu, but you can boot to your Windows XP CD and delete/add/format partitions there. Windows must be on its own partition, separate from any partition with an OS on it. If you want to dual boot (keep Ubuntu and add Windows XP), then you'll need to allocate space to a new partition for Windows (provided that one does not already exist). If you want to get rid of Ubuntu and wipe all of your data on your hard disk, then I suggest either reformatting your existing partition or deleting it all together and then creating a new one to maximize the available space on a single partition. You can do all of this by booting to the Windows XP CD, but I don't believe that it works with a recovery CD.

Reactions: Chidori602
Upvote 0
Your recovery CDs may not work if you wiped out the recovery partition on the PC when you installed Ubuntu. Which sounds like what happened.

Here is what I've done when I've had friends in this situation, when the recovery CDs don't work*. Download a bootable Windows XP ISO from BitTorrent, and install from that. Activate it using your existing Windows license code. As far as I'm concerned this is completely legal, as one already has a valid Windows license.

* This is something which frequently happens with recovery CDs.

Upvote 0
best way to do this and still dual boot

Download a torrent file of Windows XP and use the CD like previously stated
Back up all data
Insert XP disc
Choose wipe hd option to create a new partition (this will take awhile because the hd needs to be partitioned to NTFS instead of FAT)
Install Windows
Locate all the drivers that may be missing
Download Wubi
Select the Linux build and space you want allocated to said build

Your done

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones