1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to keep apps running when the screen is off on the Huawei Mate 8

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Joe, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Joe

Joe  
    VIP Member Thread Starter

One of the best things about the Huawei Mate 8 is the exceptional battery life. Not only did Huawei put a massive 4,000 mAh battery in the Mate 8, but they also have a few software tricks. You might not like one of the tricks.

The Mate 8 can kill apps when the display is turned off. This saves battery, but it can be annoying when you miss notifications or apps open slowly when you unlock your phone. The good news is you can choose which apps are killed and which apps always stay running. Let's do this.

mate 8 battery apps.png
    1. Go to Settings > Advanced Settings
    2. Select Battery manager > Protected apps
    3. You should see a list of all the apps on your phone
    Every app that is labeled as "Protected" will keep running when the display is turned off. Any app that is "Not protected" can be killed when the display is off.

You'll want to protect apps like messengers and music players, because they do a lot for you in the background. Go through the list and make your choices.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. WABez

WABez Lurker

I would like to keep Maps running, because of the option in WhatsApp for "Location > Share live location".I have done all of the above (Mate 8), however when I go to:
    Settings > Apps > Maps > Battery > Keep running after screen off (checked on to keep running)
    BUT when I go to:
    Settings > Apps > Advanced > Ignore battery optimizations and selecting to show All Apps,
    Maps does not appear in that list. So I cannot keep it running, which simply means that it stop sharing the live location when the screen "blanks" (screen saver activates).
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

Huawei Mate 8 Forum

The Huawei Mate 8 release date was November 2015. Features and Specs include a 6.0" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3/4GB RAM, HiSilicon Kirin 950 processor, and 4000mAh battery.

November 2015
Release Date
Reviews