1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support how to keep audio going to speaker while using mic connected to headset jack

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by electricpete, Feb 1, 2014.

1. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    I have an iRig Cast mic which plugs into the headset/mic jack on top of our phone:
    IK Multimedia | iRig MIC Cast - Ultra compact voice recording microphone for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Android devices

I bought it for the capability to capture a high quality audio recording using the mic...

...But it occurs me I might use it for a different purpose: I was hoping that I might be able to use it when interacting by voice with my phone in my car (since the normal built-in mic is on the bottom of the phone, tough to talk into while in portrait orientation on my windshield mount and doesn't pick up much of what I say).

When I use the external mic plugged into the mic/headphone jack, the phone hears what I'm saying all right, but I can't hear what it says back to me because it assumes (of course) that what was plugged in to the mic/headphone jack on top of the phone was a mic/headphone. So the phone audio output is not routed to the speaker but instead to the jack where it is connected to my mic which of course does nothing with it.

I'm hoping there might be a way to change this behavior so I can use my mic to talk to my phone and have my phone still talk back to me over the speakers. Anyone know how?

Advertisement

2. electricpete

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    vpwrf likes this.
  3. electricpete

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Here are my results.

The app worked fine. It made it much easier to use the voice controls on my phone in my car when using directional mic at top (as compared to phone mic at the bottom) and this app allowed sound to come out of speakers even when someting (mic) was plugged into the headphone jack.

You of course have to toggle settings again if you plan on using headsets with your phone (so the sound goes back to headphones instead of remaining on speakers with headphones plugged in).

And when changing settings, there's a quirk. If you already have something plugged in at the time you change settings, nothing changes. You'd have to unplug and replug to get it to work. In summary: for a change in behavior to occur we need to first set the software and second plug something into the headphone jack.

4. M3608

M3608 Lurker
    None

Aug 28, 2017
    This is three years later... I followed all these instructions on SoundAbout and found that I could not get the microphone and speaker to work independently, i.e. when I plugged in a directional microphone into the jack, there was no sound coming from the speaker.

I could not uncouple the mic from the media sound..

Any thoughts? [This was on a Pixel XL]