• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to keep (downloaded) app running 24/7?

jy020

Lurker
Dec 29, 2011
Hello!

I have a Samsung Captivate Glide (AT&T). I've been shifting through menus and web searches and cannot seem to find a solution. I have 2 questions:

I have a battery indicator and GoKeyboard app that I would like to keep running 24/7, but they are automatically killed when I hit , "exit all" in the default task manager (under active applications).
- Is there anyway to keep these apps permanently running? I've checked application settings and can't find any solution.

My 2nd question is - is there anyway for apps to shut down automatically on close (when wanting to return to the home screen)? I sometimes check apps (Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, etc.), for only a few seconds, hit the home button, and then move onto others. When I check the task manager - all of the apps are still running in the background, which I don't want. It gets to be a hassle to have to return to the task manager to end every app I open.

If anyone has a solution to this - it would be extremely helpful!

Thanks!

You do not really need to be concerned about applications running. Android is designed to take care of this.

Application Fundamentals | Android Developers

"By default, every application runs in its own Linux process. Android starts the process when any of the application's components need to be executed, then shuts down the process when it's no longer needed or when the system must recover memory for other applications."

Open applications are not literally running.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones