1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How to kill all these background apps??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bob_Bobber0, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Bob_Bobber0

Bob_Bobber0 Lurker
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    Hey guys, just upgraded my phone from my old ENVY Touch, anyway, the battery life seems to be pretty bad. I left for school today at 1pm with a completely charged phone, listened to music on the train for 45 minutes, browsed around in class for a few hours, watched netflix for 25 minutes on the way back and the battery was down to about 30%??

Ive grabbed a few apps to control other apps. But when I kill the apps they seem to just restart, how do I prevent them from loading unless I use them, and is there a way to close them out completely. I dont need my browser keeping my web pages open or facebook updating (I nixed the updates).

Anyway, is there a way to permanently shut off these apps? I just restarted my phone and ive got email, SNS, my verizon mobile, gmail, voicemail, netflix, and navigator running?

Also, all these bloatware apps that came preinstalled that won't let me uninstall them? What the hell is that?

Thanks guys!

Advertisement

2. 1of7627

1of7627 Well-Known Member
    None

May 26, 2011
    Male
    Tech @ Community College
    Spokane, WA
    All new phones come with some bloatware, but Verizon seems to win the contest hands down. The bottom line, of course, is money. You can't uninstall these apps unless you root the phone. And, all the processes I tried to kill because they seemed benign and safe to stop, just started back up again. (The battery takes an additional hit when they restart.) So, micromanaging the apps is fruitless for the most part. I installed a free app called "Juice Defender" that had good reviews on older phones, just to see if it made any difference in battery life on the Revo using the default settings. (The Jury's still out. I'll give it another day. And, it isn't 4G LTE compliant yet.) If I start with a full charge, my battery is down to 15% in 10-12 hours, which isn't bad compared to some of the reports I've read. But then, I'm not a heavy user. (Well, actually I am heavy. I just don't use the phone heavily.)

Because of the bloatware and Bing, I feel rooting the Revo will be common practice once all the details are ironed out.

3. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Android Expert
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Queens, New York
    You're gonna want GMail and SMS open, probably. Or Email if, for some reason, you don't use a GMail account. The others can be stopped if you root the phone.

4. Bob_Bobber0

Bob_Bobber0 Lurker
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    what does rooting the phone mean?

5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Android Expert
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Queens, New York