• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to know what apps are downloaded by me and what apps are default apps?

spman

Android Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2013
After I have downloaded some apps, if I want to delete, I do not wish to accidentally delete the default apps.

1. How to know/see what apps are downloaded by me and what apps are default apps that are in my Samsung S4?

2. If I accidentally delete the default apps e.g. Camera, Settings, My Files, Gallery, Calculator, Voice Recorder in my Samsung Galaxy S4, how can I get the app back?

What happens if you long tap the default apps e.g. Camera, Settings, My Files, Gallery, Calculator, Voice Recorder icon and drag it to the [remove]? screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/ZEbiw8i.png

Your screen shot shows a home screen, dragging any app from there to the trash can (I'm English and call it "the dustbin") just removes the apps shortcut on your home screen, it doesn't uninstall them.

As said, unless your rooted you cannot uninstall a system application.

Upvote 0
Your screen shot shows a home screen, dragging any app from there to the trash can (I'm English and call it "the dustbin") just removes the apps shortcut on your home screen, it doesn't uninstall them.

As said, unless your rooted you cannot uninstall a system application.

Click on the apps icon (bottom right of the home screen icon made up of 16 squares in S4) first, now inside your apps, if you press and hold any app (e.g. Camera, Settings, My Files, Gallery, Calculator, Voice Recorder), you will see the same home screen too. I thought dragging the app icon into the [remove] trash can icon will remove the app?

Upvote 0
Click on the apps icon (bottom right of the home screen icon made up of 16 squares in S4) first, now inside your apps, if you press and hold any app (e.g. Camera, Settings, My Files, Gallery, Calculator, Voice Recorder), you will see the same home screen too. I thought dragging the app icon into the [remove] trash can icon will remove the app?

Only from the app drawer, not a home screen. Indeed long pressing a system app like camera in the app drawer just gives three options on the top

"Create folder", "App info" and "cancel". "Cancel" is there because if you just release the dragged system app it puts a shortcut for it on the homescreen you are on rather than "springs back" into position. Drag it to "cancel" and nothing changes the app remains in its place on the grid in the app drawer.

Upvote 0
And if you do root, deleting certain system apps will lead you to brickdom... I have one of those on a shelf.

Indeed, a warning to those who would do so.

Much better to "Freeze" any system app using Titanium Backup :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&hl=en

Check for effect and then uninstall if you feel you need to. Depending on what device you have lists of removable system apps can be found here at android forums or over at XDA forums.

Upvote 0
Indeed, a warning to those who would do so.

Much better to "Freeze" any system app using Titanium Backup :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&hl=en

Check for effect and then uninstall if you feel you need to. Depending on what device you have lists of removable system apps can be found here at android forums or over at XDA forums.
You can do that and also use Nova which can hide the app so it's like you don't have it at all.

Reactions: dynomot
Upvote 0
Ah , but you still have it :) and it may still be active with it's background processors. A good suggestion for non rooted users who just want to "hide the bloat" though.
I can confirm that it shuts off everything, I was using greenify and trying to greenify some system apps (back when I had gapps) and greenified newsstand, and several other useless apps from Google.

However they would still persistently start up, so I downloaded App Quarantine. Didn't have any startups or wakelocks since.

Upvote 0
That is another + for Nova launcher then. I hear many good things about Nova, might have to try it and delete the ultimate "bloat ware" (although I like it) - Touch Wiz. I sincerely doubt uninstalling TW is an option just installing a new launcher though !
I was sad when I got cyanogenmod because I lost my remote but got smart remote and actually was infinitely better than watchon

Just to drive the point home with Nova, I used Nova on my Premia, S4 from metro and S4 I have now on sprint, and even on cyanogenmod. That's saying something. I've used smart launcher, go, aviation, apex and dodol, but I always stick with Nova.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem I have is I hate change with my tech (so this new forum, for now, is really doing my head in - I'll get used to it) and have flashed only TW based ROMs on any device I've ever owned that is Samsung. So even a new launcher is a no no for me. I'd give up on it within a day and declare it utterly frustrating unless it had really something special I really liked. Besides I'm that rare breed who likes TW anyway.

Upvote 0
The problem I have is I hate change with my tech (so this new forum, for now, is really doing my head in - I'll get used to it) and have flashed only TW based ROMs on any device I've ever owned that is Samsung. So even a new launcher is a no no for me. I'd give up on it within a day and declare it utterly frustrating unless it had really something special I really liked. Besides I'm that rare breed who likes TW anyway.
I did too until I got that almost 10 hour battery life.

TW does have some cool features though.

Upvote 0

I actually do like the features TouchWiz give, but would like some more flexibility. What I did was use Nova Prime, set it to use a TouchWiz based theme, and it's good to go. I still have the stock ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones