• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How To: Load Honeycomb, Android 3.0, on the Nook Color (uSD Method)

Upvote 0
Okay, loaded up 3.0 using this method to get my first taste of Gingerbread. While this is not a daily driver IMO, it is VERY good considering this was ported from an emulator! The fact that you can try it out and then quickly and easily revert back is great.

This little NC keeps impressing me. Knowing that a ported, hacked, 3.0 ROM runs this well...I am excited to see what happens when Google's source drops.

If you have a rooted NC, give this a shot. If for no other reason than to see what you are in for in the near future when 3.0 is stable and completely functional!

Oh and if you are looking for instructions on how to add Google Market after you load this ROM, click here

Upvote 0
I am thinking of getting a nook color to root. Question though, My wife wants it also as a book reader do you keep the ability to download e pub drm format from sites like overdrive.com?

No, you don't lose that ability. And with a rooted NC, you can use the B&N app, kindle app, or a wide variety of other e-reader applications that support various formats to side load virtually any kind of e-book file type.

Now, if you load Android 3.0 on it, you will lose the specific B&N functions that you would get on a non-rooted NC (like the ability to read any e-book for free while in the store for 1 hour per day). The NC essentially becomes a pure tablet and the e-book functionality is limited to the Android applications (kindle app, nook app, etc.) that you get from the market.

Make sense?

Upvote 0
Currently been using rooted nook color with HC installed to internal and in my opin it is very much usuale as a daily. Not one FC for me after the finale tweaks needed to shoe horn it onto the eMMC. I use it daily for reading nook purchased books, Sony purchased books and Fictionwise books. Mostly my choice of apps are for reading forums, Magazines, and novels on the go (not a games guy).

The only issue Im having so far is the lack of google calendar sync, Ill get it tho as its only a matter of time before I source out the right bite of data to guide me!
You tube for me is MIA as well. It starts but will not play any shows, not a deal breaker for me as that too is something I rarely do.

Also noted that it did not see my brothers wifi hotspot from his rooted iPhone but did connect to my rooted Droid Pro Hot spot if any one cares to know that.

Currently loving this 7 day (and counting) journey with my rooted Nook!

Upvote 0
Currently been using rooted nook color with HC installed to internal and in my opin it is very much usuale as a daily. Not one FC for me after the finale tweaks needed to shoe horn it onto the eMMC. I use it daily for reading nook purchased books, Sony purchased books and Fictionwise books. Mostly my choice of apps are for reading forums, Magazines, and novels on the go (not a games guy).

The only issue Im having so far is the lack of google calendar sync, Ill get it tho as its only a matter of time before I source out the right bite of data to guide me!
You tube for me is MIA as well. It starts but will not play any shows, not a deal breaker for me as that too is something I rarely do.

Also noted that it did not see my brothers wifi hotspot from his rooted iPhone but did connect to my rooted Droid Pro Hot spot if any one cares to know that.

Currently loving this 7 day (and counting) journey with my rooted Nook!

i am waiting for the source to come out so I can load it onto a SD (like the current nookie fryo). That way I can plug it in if wanted. bottom line, waiting on source for a more usable honeycomb. waiting sucks.

Upvote 0
Reactions: kingofmay
Upvote 0
Well, I'm looking into it but this is different than flashing deeper blue's preview. You actually are modding you system's OS...not just flashing a ROM off the SD card.

I'm hesitant to get too far into this as my NC's are my kids' devices...and I don't want to leave them with a non-working tablet if I don't get everything back up and running tonight.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm looking into it but this is different than flashing deeper blue's preview. You actually are modding you system's OS...not just flashing a ROM off the SD card.

I'm hesitant to get too far into this as my NC's are my kids' devices...and I don't want to leave them with a non-working tablet if I don't get everything back up and running tonight.

exactly what i thought. It appears that its for the internal memory. bummer. maybe someone can create a bootable SD card version. I would try that out while waiting for the source code.

Upvote 0

I went to the xda website listed above, but this one thread alone is 139 PAGES (yes, pages, not entries) long, and I just don't have time for that. So, has anyone actually done this, and how is it working for you? I read the instructions on Unlockr, and it sounds almost the same as loading Autonooter onto my NC. Any special advice for a Newb like me - things I probably need to know before I start?

Upvote 0
I went to the xda website listed above, but this one thread alone is 139 PAGES (yes, pages, not entries) long, and I just don't have time for that. So, has anyone actually done this, and how is it working for you? I read the instructions on Unlockr, and it sounds almost the same as loading Autonooter onto my NC. Any special advice for a Newb like me - things I probably need to know before I start?

No special advice really. Just use the video guide that TheUnlockr provided (in my original post here)...worked well for me. Honeycomb works pretty well but many things are still broken. When google actually releases the source code for HC...we will start to see developers produce some good HC ROMs. Until then, this is fun to play with.

Upvote 0
No special advice really. Just use the video guide that TheUnlockr provided (in my original post here)...worked well for me. Honeycomb works pretty well but many things are still broken. When google actually releases the source code for HC...we will start to see developers produce some good HC ROMs. Until then, this is fun to play with.

Okay, so I followed the Unlockr directions, and managed to get this to work on my NC the first time (shocking, right?). But I have to say, I was a little disappointed. I guess I was expecting more, but it was extremely bland. Don't get me wrong - it was completely different than the 2.1 I'm running now so I know I did it right. I couldn't get the Android Market to come up at all (I have since read the thread on getting the Market to load, but it looks a lot more complicated than it should be.) I don't know, am I missing something? Maybe there's a more up-to-date version I should load? Also, am I correct that since this is booting off of the sd card, anything I would download off the market will stay on the card?

Upvote 0
Okay, so I followed the Unlockr directions, and managed to get this to work on my NC the first time (shocking, right?). But I have to say, I was a little disappointed. I guess I was expecting more, but it was extremely bland. Don't get me wrong - it was completely different than the 2.1 I'm running now so I know I did it right. I couldn't get the Android Market to come up at all (I have since read the thread on getting the Market to load, but it looks a lot more complicated than it should be.) I don't know, am I missing something? Maybe there's a more up-to-date version I should load? Also, am I correct that since this is booting off of the sd card, anything I would download off the market will stay on the card?

Not shocked at all you got it to work first time...You're a veteran now! :cool:

Bland?...maybe so. Limited app support and all that kind of kills the experience. Once there are a decent amount of cool HC widgets and apps optimized for it...it will be much cooler.

Yes, anything you download will save to the SD card. It's like your device is using that SD card as the internal storage when you are booted into HC.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone! I was able to get honeycomb on an SD card to run on my new Nook Color, but as many people said, there is no Android Market available. I'm very new to this whole hacking thing, so could anyone explain in very simple terms how I can get the android market onto the honeycomb sd card. I really appreciate it! I'm super confused with the whole ADB program and I don't want to seriously mess up my nook.

Thanks!
Jennifer

Upvote 0
Deeper-blue's honeycomb is not rooted, so basically you have to root it and then install the gapps (like market) over adb. It is kind of a PITA and you need to be comfortable doing terminal commands. Basically what I'm saying...its very hard to put it in simple terms :(

You don't have to root to get gapps on the 3.0 preview. Check out my post from earlier in this thread.

Okay, loaded up 3.0 using this method to get my first taste of Gingerbread. While this is not a daily driver IMO, it is VERY good considering this was ported from an emulator! The fact that you can try it out and then quickly and easily revert back is great.

This little NC keeps impressing me. Knowing that a ported, hacked, 3.0 ROM runs this well...I am excited to see what happens when Google's source drops.

If you have a rooted NC, give this a shot. If for no other reason than to see what you are in for in the near future when 3.0 is stable and completely functional!

Oh and if you are looking for instructions on how to add Google Market after you load this ROM, click here

The link I provided takes you to a guide someone at AC put together. To load gapps, check out the section of the guide that starts with:

Installing the Android Market on the Nook Color running Honeycomb:

Upvote 0
Probably going to be getting a NC for Father's Day, and I want to soup it up as much as possible. I know that developers are constantly tweaking and coming up with new things, and this thread hasn't had any activity in about 2 months. Are the steps detailed here still the ideal way to do things? Or is there something newer?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones