• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to load Zefie's custom kernels (for Dummies)

I was having the same problem, I can get move music and pictures over easy but I just can't seem to get it recognized when I plug it in when I've got debug mode checked or the phone is in downloading mode.

If it helps, using Windows 7 64-bit and I've tried to do it on another computer running the same windows and another computer running Windows XP. No luck.

I think I'll survive, I've not had a problem yet. I've just made killing apps a habit.

Upvote 0
I was having the same problem, I can get move music and pictures over easy but I just can't seem to get it recognized when I plug it in when I've got debug mode checked or the phone is in downloading mode.

If it helps, using Windows 7 64-bit and I've tried to do it on another computer running the same windows and another computer running Windows XP. No luck.

I think I'll survive, I've not had a problem yet. I've just made killing apps a habit.

It took me a couple of times of playing with it. How did you load the drivers? Did you use the USB driver zip file or load New PC Studio? I had to load new PC studio in Vista 2 compatibility mode. Make sure you run Odin as administrator.

Upvote 0
Just pull the drivers automatically from windows update.. worked fine for me on all the computers.. didnt attempt to force the driver install

That worked fine to use the phone in disk mode, definitely does not work when I'm in download mode though. I've only ever used the drivers from the custom package on Zefie's FTP site... never installed PC studio or the like. WinXP here.

Upvote 0
That worked fine to use the phone in disk mode, definitely does not work when I'm in download mode though. I've only ever used the drivers from the custom package on Zefie's FTP site... never installed PC studio or the like. WinXP here.
Ya missed the windows 7 part.. in vista/7 the drivers are avalible via windows update... XP is olddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Upvote 0
Ya missed the windows 7 part.. in vista/7 the drivers are avalible via windows update... XP is olddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

There's been multiple conversations in this thread, Win7 isn't the only thing we're talking about... I'm still fishing in hopes that someone has an XP solution haha. For some of us, XP is all we've got. Personally I'd never pay for a microsoft OS (especially for a laptop that's not even mine), so I'll keep my outdated XP, lol.

Upvote 0
I finally got my system to see the phone in download mode... here's what I did.

1. attached my phone while it was on and in the normal Android OS mode
2. located my phone in device manager (under disk drives, I think)
3. went to properties (right click) for my phone, browsed to the driver tab, clicked "uninstall"
4. system prompted for a restart to complete removal. I unplugged my phone and allowed the system to restart
5. installed NEW Samsung PC Studio from a DL I found via Teh Googles (I had never used this in the past, previously I had browsed my phone's SD card via the drivers in that zip package that's floating around and on Zefie's FTP site)
6. booted my phone into download mode and plugged it into the computer. My PC immediately saw it and installed the correct drivers
7. Odin was able to correctly see my phone now, so proceeded as above.
8. upon reset of the phone after the new kernel, the PC also installed additional drivers for SD drive mode

Hopefully this helps someone else in this situation, there seemed to be a lot of us!

Oh, and after all that, I forget what should work better with the new kernel lol. Oh well, I'll figure it out, and probably uninstall some of the stock apps in the next day or two. Hooray!!

Upvote 0
There's been multiple conversations in this thread, Win7 isn't the only thing we're talking about... I'm still fishing in hopes that someone has an XP solution haha. For some of us, XP is all we've got. Personally I'd never pay for a microsoft OS (especially for a laptop that's not even mine), so I'll keep my outdated XP, lol.
Naa was just making a joke since it was a slow day at work.. Great to see you figured it out! We will make a dev out of you yet :p That is the first step to fixing problems, being able to identify them, and devise a way to fix it..

Upvote 0
Naa was just making a joke since it was a slow day at work.. Great to see you figured it out! We will make a dev out of you yet :p That is the first step to fixing problems, being able to identify them, and devise a way to fix it..

Haha thanks bud. I've got some serious troubleshooting skills... I used to do tech support for SONY's PC line... which was a pretty wild job because if the caller was willing to let us charge them $20 for third-party stuff, we'd have to take our best stab at trying to support ANYTHING. Needless to say, I learned a lot and developed some good creative problem solving skills too. Currently I'm a Technical Project Manager for a web support company... which is great because I get to be the guy who translates between our systems people/developers and the rest of the company... so not only do I have to know tech talk but I have to have some decent communication skills. I really enjoy the problem solving, I've been considering going back for programming for a while now... but still on the fence haha. I should really pick up a book and do what I've always done... teach myself!

Upvote 0
Haha thanks bud. I've got some serious troubleshooting skills... I used to do tech support for SONY's PC line... which was a pretty wild job because if the caller was willing to let us charge them $20 for third-party stuff, we'd have to take our best stab at trying to support ANYTHING. Needless to say, I learned a lot and developed some good creative problem solving skills too. Currently I'm a Technical Project Manager for a web support company... which is great because I get to be the guy who translates between our systems people/developers and the rest of the company... so not only do I have to know tech talk but I have to have some decent communication skills. I really enjoy the problem solving, I've been considering going back for programming for a while now... but still on the fence haha. I should really pick up a book and do what I've always done... teach myself!
BTW.. ze08 just came out so you might need to go ahead and reflash it again.. a bunch of major updates in it

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I figured that out maybe 10 minutes before my post. I hadn't tried flashing but was curious and it took me over an hour to figure out the PC Studio thing. None of the step by steps for dummies even talk about needing pc studio for XP!

yeah it seems that maybe it's working for some people to just use the driver pack that zefie provides? Or maybe that's only the Win7 users. Not sure really. Hopefully our pain has helped others at least? lol

Upvote 0
yeah it seems that maybe it's working for some people to just use the driver pack that zefie provides? Or maybe that's only the Win7 users. Not sure really. Hopefully our pain has helped others at least? lol

The Win 7 users apparently get drivers via windows update. I could have sworn that was an XP option but didn't see it for some reason.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones