• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to lock the sim card tray?

velezfel

Lurker
Nov 24, 2017
Hey, I want to lock the sim card tray of my Galaxy S8+ so if anyone steals it, he wouldn't be able to remove the sim card and I'm going to be able to track my phone down. Any Ideas? I have done quite a big research and I had only found posts of people who are wishing to unlock the sim card tray...

Thank you in advance!

The people wanting a "SIM unlock" haven't got their SIM trays physically locked. They want to remove a software lock that prevents the phone from using SIMs from other carriers.

There's no way of locking the SIM tray, apart from doing something destructive like putting epoxy in the release hole. Do consider that SIM cards do fail (I've had it happen twice over the years), and if you can't get it out yourself that's your phone finished.

There may be cases that can lock around the phone. I don't recall coming across such things, but I've never looked. It's the only realistic way of locking the SIM tray I can think of (with the obvious drawback that such a thing would be bulky).

Upvote 0
Thanks to all! I've the Cerberus APP but it's not useful if someone pull out the sim card tray. I think the only option is the one Hardon mentions of a special kind of case... But I think I prefer avoiding a bulky case.
Don't know if there any cases like that, maybe possibly one that was designed for prisons or something?

Upvote 0
Even with some sort of special case a thief would still be able to get the case off. As others have said, if your really that desperate to lock down the SIM tray it would be to glue it shut.

A very bad idea and something I would never do!

However you could try and lock out the pin hole. My thoughts would be to get some super glue and mix it up with some black paint and with the SIM tray removed fill the hole. You could also try some permanent marker on the glue instead after it has dried. Remember you only have 2m to play with in regards to when the needle makes contact with the release mechanism.

You could then, when needed use the needle heated up to break through the pin hole to release the SIM.

You would need to test all this out first as you would not want to permanently glue the tray in!

Personally I would NEVER do anything of the sort, but it's your choice.

Upvote 0
I superglued my sim tray pin hole whilst outside the phone. Then super glued a thin strip of titanium around borders of sim tray on phones bezel. This all after I read this page. I was car jacked at gun point on Friday 11 Jan 2019 and by sliding my phone under seat managed to track criminals and all of them paid with their lives. Even if sim tray is glued shut it still worth it in South Africa where I stay where a phone is more worth than your life. Hope e-sim will become the future in SA but no carrier supports it as they make money out of replacements.

Reactions: Tictoczinha
Upvote 0
I superglued my sim tray pin hole whilst outside the phone. Then super glued a thin strip of titanium around borders of sim tray on phones bezel. This all after I read this page. I was car jacked at gun point on Friday 11 Jan 2019 and by sliding my phone under seat managed to track criminals and all of them paid with their lives. Even if sim tray is glued shut it still worth it in South Africa where I stay where a phone is more worth than your life. Hope e-sim will become the future in SA but no carrier supports it as they make money out of replacements.

Hey Man, I live in South America as well and I think your solution for this was quite clever. Can you show me the picture of your doing? I'd like to know how it look like.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones